Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Question How to get the newest seat

I'm planning to buy the Chicco Next Fit Zip in the next couple of months as my baby is about to outgrow her Keyfit 30. When I order or buy it in person, I want to get the "freshest" seat. I don't want the one that's been sitting on the shelf for the past year+. It's $300, I want all the years! I contacted Chicco to see if they had any recommendations and this was their response:
    The NextFit Zip car seats have an 8-year life span. Unfortunately, we have no control over how long a retailer has Chicco products in their inventory. We recommend that you contact the retailer to see if they are able to provide assistance.
    ...Ok. I asked if buying directly from them would get me a newer seat and the response was, "call customer service". I haven't called yet.
    Question 1: Is there a way to order to ensure I'll get something newer and not the one that's been bracing the backdoor at the warehouse?
    Question 2: What is an acceptable age for a seat in your opinion?
    Thanks for your help!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: How to get the newest seat

Hi!

I've found that larger retailers have a higher "churn rate" and tend to have newer inventory. Within 6 months is generally considered pretty "fresh." I've had good luck buying off Amazon. The one time I got an old seat I emailed and explained that I was disappointed to pay full price and have already lost a year (10% in this case) off the life, they emailed back offering a 20% discount. That was more than fair for me- if a seat is discounted, it's fair to have some life gone. And they offer free returns so there's always the option to send it back.

If you can find it in person, you can look at the date on the box before buying. But of course not many places will have it in store.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Unregistered

Ok, thanks KetchupQueen!

Unregistered

I've had really good luck in recent years ordering off Albee Baby. My seats have always been within 6 months. I was planning to buy the Nextfit zip myself but after looking at their newest seat Fit4 I decided to go with that one. Bonus is its brand new so it should be a freshly produced seat I love the fact it goes into a booster seat too so hopefully I wont need to buy another seat in the future.

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

You'll likely find that you do either want or need another booster after, but it should last a good long time. Enjoy!
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!