Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Nautilus 65LX Install Help

I need some help. My 5 year old son is 44.6lb so I need to switch his carseat in my husband's car to seatbelt install (vs latch). Problem is I just cannot get a tight install. Vehicle is a 2011 Pathfinder. I had this same problem in last vehicle (Ford escape but thankfully he was lighter so we just stuck with latch). I'm usually really good at getting really tight installs. I followed all the instructions and all my tricks I've learned over the years. Install is 2nd row behind drivers seat. I did lock seat belt. Did the whole knee in seat while rocking side to side and tightening belt etc. I am really not a fan of this seat at all but he isn't ready for a booster seat yet so I'd like to keep him harnessed another year.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Nautilus 65LX Install Help

I always tighten the seat then lock the belt. It gives me more room to manipulate the seat belt to get the best leverage. Often the best leverage is obtained by peeling back the seat cover and pulling right in the belt path. If a seat is really stubborn, I tighten what I can then lock the belt and let it mostly retract. Then I grab the shoulder belt in the belt path and pull straight out from the back of the seat. The locked belt can help with leverage for that last bit. I also may combine this trick with pushing down on each arm of the seat, one side at a time, back and forth between the two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer and a SureRide
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted soft carrier

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Nautilus 65LX Install Help

Are the buckle stalks hitting the belt path in these vehicles by chance? If so, twisting them down can really help. I pull from inside the belt path near the buckle before locking the belt and it's an easy install in most cars.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!