Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Shallow Seats - are boosters safer?

Hello everyone -
    I have a car with very shallow back seats (child seats hang 3-5 inches over the edge of the seat). Is it safer to use a backless booster that fits fully within the seat well, or is a real car seat still be better even though it's deeper than the seat well?
    I normally use a car seat in the deeper middle seats, but for school trips this year I'll be transporting multiple children.
    Thank you!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Shallow Seats - are boosters safer?

How old are the kids?

Is the overhang you have allowed by the seat you have?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Quote Originally Posted by wendytthomas View Post
    How old are the kids?

Is the overhang you have allowed by the seat you have?

Wendy
    Third-graders, big enough for the boosters.
    I have Britax Pinnacle and Advocate and Evenflo Tribute. Britax allows 3 inches of overhang, for Evenflo I was not able to find a specification. Depending on which seat I put in I get 3-5 inches of overhang.

CPS Technician

Other things to consider, does the shallow center seat have a head restraint and lap/shoulder belt?

Quote Originally Posted by aporthole View Post
    Other things to consider, does the shallow center seat have a head restraint and lap/shoulder belt?
    Yes, it's a Subaru Pathfinder, there are top restraint anchors and lap/shoulder belts in each row. Boosters, however, are the backless kind.

Evenflo allows 20% for the Tribute. But I haven't met a third grader who fits in the Tribute (40", the height of the average four year old, 40 pounds, shoulders under the top harness slot, so usually about a size three or four shirt, or top of the ears over the top of the shell). Most eight year olds have long outgrown the non ClickTight Advocate, but the Advocate ClickTight has top harness height enough for eight year olds.

By head restraint we don't mean top tethers, we mean headrests. Is there a headrest for the center?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Oh! Got it, thanks Yes, there are headrests for all seats and I do have them up.
    Evenflo is set up as a high-back booster, limits for that are 57 inches or 110 pounds, which most third-graders fit into. I'll measure to see whether the overhang is below 20% - thank you!
    Generally I go for the Pinnacles first and try not to use the Advocate (unless I have a really short kid riding - it's only up to 49 inches) or the Evenflow. My issue is field trips and play dates, where I don't know in advance how big the kids will be, so the choice is between the biggest seat (Pinnacle, overhang 4 inches) and a backless booster. Last time I went with the boosters, but it was a very short trip. The next one coming up is a 45 minute drive.

Backlesses would be fine for most eight year olds if there are headrests that fit them.

The Tribute doesn't have a booster, so no idea which seat you have. But if it fits them, that's probably fine, whatever seat it is. Just make sure there's no overhang, as I don't think Evenflo allows overhang in booster mode.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to