2016 Camry non-adjustable headrest

J

Jacqueline

Hi Forum...
I have an 18 month old and she will soon be forward facing in her car seat. I have a 2016 Camry and the headrest is not adjustable. Her carseat is a Graco convertible 4 in 1. In order to use the latch behind the headrest it would have to go over it and that appears unsafe. The only suggestion I have read is to buy a V-shaped latch system to go around the headrest. After spending a great deal of money on the one she has now and only having it for a few months, I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and what you did instead of buying a new seat (or a new car lol)????

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there!

You have a couple of options.

1. Leaving her rear facing is the safest. That eliminates the need for the top tether all together until she hits 40 pounds (or 50 pounds, depending on which seat she has). When you do turn her forward facing, check to see which recline your seat requires, if any, for forward facing at her weight.

2. Your car likely requires you to go right up and over the headrest, and that's 100% safe for your car and your seat, and it's not a problem in the least. :) Your carseat is fine with whatever your car says, so just double check your car's manual! It'll definitely have this information in there.

Wendy

MelodyoftheForest

I agree with Wendy. I had a 2017 Corolla and the top tether is indeed supposed to go over the outboard head restraints. If you have to move your child forward-facing because she is getting to the limits of the seat rear-facing, you may have better luck in the center. That head restraint can likely be removed. If there is a different reason you plan to switch to FF, maybe we can help you keep her RF with info or tips! The Graco 4Ever did not play well FF in my Corolla.

murphydog77

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
One thing I want to bring to your attention is something Wendy alluded to in her post. Some Graco seats, like the 4Ever and the Extend2Fits, require an extremely reclined setting for a forward-facing child under 40 lbs. so you'll want to check your carseat manual under the forward-facing installation section to learn more. It can be so reclined that her legs will be jammed into the back of the front seat, so it may be more comfortable—and safer—to leave her rear-facing.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC