Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Combination Seat for Airplane

We will be taking our kiddos on a plane for the first time in December: Nonstop from Minneapolis to Orlando on Delta (Main Cabin). We are renting a minivan for about 2 hours of driving on one of our 9 days in Florida, the rest will be on Disney Resort Property, so beyond keeping my little guy safe on the plane, I need a seat I can trust while we are there.

I know my oldest (who will be 7 when we travel) will not be able to use his backless booster on the flight, so I am going to try to pack our lightest one into our luggage, but I am torn on which seat to bring for our 3 year old (who turns 4 while we are there). I really don't want to buy a new seat, so I am trying to decide between the two lightest combination seats we have (not crazy enough to haul a Nautilus on a plane!!).

I am debating between our older (but not expired) Maestro and an almost brand new Graco Atlas. Anyone have any advice on which may be easier to haul, fit better on the plane, etc?

Just FYI: Kiddo is currently just shy of 40" and weighs about 35lbs. He rides in the Atlas every day in my car and the Maestro only occasionally when he is with my parents.
    Big Boy G: 11/6/2012, 53lb/49", Evenflo Procomfort RightFit HBB, Evenflo Big Kid HBB
    Little Bro C - 12/4/2015, 32lb/38" Graco Nautilus 65 Safety Surround, Graco Atlas 65
    Extra Seats: Graco Nautilus 65, Cosco Apt 50, Evenflo Maestro, Harmony Defender, Graco Turbobooster NBB, Cosco Rise NBB

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Carseat Crazy

Re: Combination Seat for Airplane

I would absolutely choose the Maestro! The lighter and smaller the seat is, the easier your trip will be!
    -Reta
    Former CPST
    Mom of V, born 6/2014, FF in a Pioneer, Boulevard G4, and SureRide
    G dog, rescued 6/2016, in a belted SturdiBag

Moderator - CPS Technician

Another vote for Maestro unless you have a good reason for taking the other.
    Cutie #1 (13 years) 5-stepping
    Cutie #2 (10 years) riding in a Safety 1st Incognito

Cutie #3 (7 years) riding in a Chicco KidFit
    Cutie #4 (6 years) riding in a Frontier
    Cutie #5 (3 years) riding in a Nuna Rava

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

100% agree! The lighter weight and narrower profile will be helpful on a plane.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!