Looking for recommendations for multiple (convertible?) car seats

flaquito

Our first daughter (and only child, so no previous experience here...) is about to outgrow her infant car seat, so we're needing recommendations on what to get next. Problem is, she pretty routinely rides in 3 different cars -- both of ours, and my sister's, who watches her a few days a week.

Here's the relevant info:
Daughter: Almost 11 months old, 29", 21lb.
2013 Nissan Leaf: Primary car for short local drives.
2003 Subaru Outback: Used for medium-long trips, also frequently used for local drives.
2015 Dodge Caravan: Sister's vehicle, she'll only be in there for really short local drives.

I think that we'd like to not spend too much on the seat for my sister's car -- don't need many bells and whistles on that one, just safety. Would be nice if it could switch from rear-facing to forward-facing.

Don't really know what features we should be looking at for the other two. Would like to keep overall costs somewhat reasonable, but we're not constrained by a tight budget.

Thanks in advance! Let me know if there's any more info that would help.

ADS

jjordan

I always recommend that people check out the reviews and recommendations at carseatblog.com. Here is a link to the recommended convertible seats. The thing to keep in mind is that all manufacturers will try to convince you that their seat is the safest and we just don't have enough data to tell who is right. :) All seats must pass federal testing and many manufacturers do tests beyond what is required, but unless two manufacturers did an identical extra test and told us the results (which they don't), we wouldn't have a way to compare their relative safety. That being said, if a particular safety feature seems to you to be a really good idea, and if you have the budget for the seat, well then you might as well spring for it.

Proper use is really the only thing that we 100% know makes a difference in safety. So whatever you buy, make sure that everyone who uses the seat knows how to use it correctly. Many seats have ease-of-use features that make proper use more likely. For instance, Britax ClickTight seats and Nuna Rava have very easy seat belt installations.

In the end every seats has its pros and cons. Take a look at the carseatblog reviews and, if possible, check out floor models in stores like Babies R Us, Buy Buy Baby, specialty baby stores, and even Target/Walmart, and see what you think. If you have specific questions about specific seats, then let us know!

flaquito

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions, tips, and links. Here's the current plan, subject to change. Thoughts?

Cosco APT 50 for my sister's Caravan
Evenflo SureRide DLX for the Leaf
Maxi-Cosi Pria 85 for the Subaru

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC