Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    vacaymamay

Cruise Travel (Taxis/Vans)

We are going on a cruise to Mexico, and while on the ports of call, will likely be using taxi's or Vans. My youngest kids are 4 years old and 18 months, and I have easily found a solution for the 4 year old, but not for the 18 months old (weighs 22-23 pounds). Can anyone suggest a portable car seat that is safe? I have found multiple ones on Amazon but apparently they are not safe.

tia

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Cruise Travel (Taxis/Vans)

Hi!

What is your budget? How tall is the 18 month old?

Your best bet for the 18 month old is probably a Scenera Next and a locking clip, but if you have a large enough budget and the child is short enough you might be able to use a rear facing only "bucket" car seat with a locking clip instead; the handle might make it easier to carry around.
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

CPS Technician

Re: Cruise Travel (Taxis/Vans)

Man, those Chinese car travel products (you really can't call them car seats) on Amazon drive me crazy!

I traveled a lot with a Costco Scenera (predecessor to Next) when my older daughter was around that age (she was too tall for a rear-facing only seat), so I got a lot of practice installing it, and got really good/quick at it, so it's definitely doable. It also fit well on airplane seats, though that will obviously vary by airline. Just make sure to carry that locking clip (or two).
    ************************************************** **************************
    THD -8 yo/90lbs/4'5"/Britax Parkway SGL or backless Graco Turbo booster
    QED -6 yo/52lbs/4'/Britax Frontier 90 in booster mode or high-back Graco Turbo