Need your recommendations

PJE

-We have 2 girls, 2yr and 4.5 yr. (normal height and weight for both, if anything they're a bit on the small side)
-2.5 is graduating out of infant seat and into 4.5 yr old's standard Convertible car seat.
-We have 2 of each, 1 for each Mom and Dad's car.

1) We need a seat (2 of them) for our 5yr old. So many choices for the 'combination seats' Only thing I'm certain I want is a 5 point harness. But what boxes do we need to check to make sure it's the right purchase? Is there an article or checklist that cuts through the clutter? And are the higher priced models worth it? (see my #3 below)

2) Thoughts on should the 2 yr old still be rear facing?

3) Always wondered about this...We have a $300 Britax and Safety 1st that was around $100 or so. You can see difference in quality between the two but does it really make a difference when it matters if you have a $300 or $100 car seat?

Really need help on #1. Thanks very much!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there.

Your 2.5 year old must be remarkably petite to still have fit into a rear facing only seat, most of which have height limits of 30" or 32".

Do you know which Safety 1st and Britax seats you have? They each make several.

Different seats have different features. The Britax is probably easier to install than the Safety 1st, depending on which seat it is. The Britax may last longer, depending on which seat it is. Safety wise, assuming you're using each properly, no, there is zero difference in safety that we know.

The two year old will ideally rear face as long as possible. Since your child is exceedingly small to still fit in a rear facing only seat (unless you had the Graco Snugride 40, which goes to 35" and is more feasible), you should be able to get them to four or five years old rear facing without a concern, depending on which seats you have (you can see, it's really hard to give information without knowing your seats or your children's heights and weights).

What's a comfortable budget for the 4.5 year old or 5 year old's combination seat?

Wendy

PJE

My 2 yr old:
2ft 7 inches tall, 25 lbs in weight

My 4.5 yr old:
3ft 5 inches tall, 37lbs in weight

Per the charts, both within averages for height and weight

Safety 1st OnBoard 35 being used by my 2 yr old. With winter coats the belts are tight, and she fills it up and is sick of it! Have it rear facing.

Dont have model handy for Britax and Safetys 1st seats that our 4.5 yr uses and the 2 yr old will now use.

Aside from all this, question was asking yo all for thoughts and recos on 'combination' car seat for 4.5 yr old. What all needs to be considered, any good articles that cover the subject, etc. Torn on budget based on questions #3 in original post - is higher price necessarily worth it?

Last edited:

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Does your 2.5 year old have more than 1" of shell above her head? That's a requirement, as is the 32" limit.

The winter coats cannot be worn in the car. It's like leaving the harness too loose. https://carseatblog.com/24645/baby-its-cold-outside-winter-coat-suggestions-for-kids-in-carseats/

For the 4.5 year old, as I said above, the different seats have different features and longevity, but not safety. Is it worth it is a question you can answer. Is the install of a Britax Frontier worth it over the install for the Graco Tranzitions, even though the Tranzitions will last a petite child well to booster maturity, and then potentially until seatbelt readiness? It's up to you to decide. They're both 100% safe, and I'd put my child in either assuming she fits. It's just a question of whether or not you feel the features are worth it.

On that note, for your child, going roughly from lowest to highest in price, I'd look at the Evenflo Maestro, Harmony Defender, Graco Wayz/Tranzitions, Evenflo Transitions, Evenflo SecureKid, Graco Nautilus, Britax Pioneer, Britax Frontier, Britax Pinnacle.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC