Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Good carseat for grandma?

My son is 3 and is big for his age. He is 40 pounds and 42" (I think - it is hard to measure kids). Anyway, my mom struggles with the harness of the Britrex Boulevard that we have in her car. Any suggestions on what to get that she can safely latch my son into? I am thinking of a carseat that will convert to a booster seat when my son is ready. My son is very good at sitting still - so maybe it is a booster seat in her car??? Advise welcome.

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Good carseat for grandma?

Hi there.

A booster is not a safe option for a three year old. His skeleton won't be ready for a few more years.

What does she find difficult about his current harness? Getting it buckled? Getting it unbuckled? Tightening it?

Do you have the top tether done up, and the straps come from above his shoulders?

What's a reasonable budget for you for a combination seat?

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Unregistered

She struggles with adjusting the harness and buckling him in. I often find it as loose as it goes in her car and she will have struggled to fasten him - which obviously is concerning. He is a solid kid, but not crazy large. We have the same seat in our car, and I do agree that the straps can be hard to loosen at times. Budget wise - this is a safety issue, so price isn't the limiting factor.

Yes, we have the tether done up - but great question on the straps, I will check tomorrow if they are coming from above his shoulders in her car.

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Can she just leave the harness snug and not loosen it? He shouldn't be wearing a jacket in the car, so daily his size shouldn't change unless you've noticed a spurt.

Otherwise, I'd look at the Graco Tranzitions/Wayz, Harmony Defender, Graco Nautilus.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Hi there! I understand completely. My in-laws also struggled with getting my kids harnessed -- and they weren't comfortable leaving it tight and getting her in and out without loosening. If you can convince your mom to do that, I agree with Wendy that that would be easiest. However if that isn't an option you might consider some of the Graco models with very smooth harness adjusters because of the "roller bar feature" -- the Graco Contender and the Milestone, for example. I am not sure which (if any) of the combination seats have the roller bar feature. Maybe the Nautilus, or the Tranzitions/Wayz that Wendy mentioned? To tell, look at the back of the seat and see if the straps roll over a plain bar, or if they roll over little red tubes. The little red tubes make it easier to pull the harness right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding FF in a Chicco MyFit, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding RF in a Graco Milestone, a Graco Extend-2-Fit 3-in-1 and a Graco SlimFit)