Question Have We Sized Out of High Back Booster In Car?

U

Unregistered

All,

My daughter, 9 years old and 56.5 inches, still uses Diono Monterey high back booster in our van. We recently got a new car and at the current adjustment the head piece is touching the roof/rear pillar of the vehicle. Does this contact preclude the use of the high back booster and what is the tech's standard for verifying proper fit of the head piece to child? Also, when you use the vehicle head rest with a high back booster how do you know how high to set the vehicle head rest?

Are there any high back boosters that can go without the head piece? I know this defeats most of the point if there is no advanced head protection. However, I would think that side protection alone would still benefit older kids in our situation. Is there a safety concern with this or just no market demand?

I do have several bottom boosters on hand including that option on this unit. She does not pass the 5 point test for going without a booster. On plus side, our son, 5.5 years old and 48 inches tall, still rides harnessed in a Diono Radian in our van, and he will probably get another 9-12 months in this seat. He also does well in a Britax high back booster for the occasional trip in the car.

Thanks so much for the information. We sincerely appreciate your time.

Best,

Mike

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there, Mike.

Your manual states the belt guide needs to be above her shoulders. That's how you know when she's outgrown the high back, and how high it needs to be. If you can't get it that high without hitting the ceiling, remove the entire back. You cannot use it without just the headrest, and no, there are none that do that.

Wendy

U

Unregistered

Thanks so much. Yes, our daughter is just about out of the high backs that only reach to 57". She is right at the belt guide. Our Britax Frontiers and Diono Monterey simply don't fit the rear of the new car (current Mazda 6) at their settings above 57". We found that the Chicco Kidfit Zip gives her a little room at it's highest setting while still fitting the car.

We liked the Chicco in-vehicle fit and padding so well that we got a couple for the car. One for whatever time daughter has left and one for our son. Daughter will go back to a Frontier in the van for a little longer before switching to low back booster. Her current Monterey, which she loves, isn't playing well with the van headrests now that it is extended.

I still find it disappointing that we have to give up side and head protection when the boosters can't fully adjust due to the roof line of these sedans. I'm guessing there are a lot of folks in similar situation, but we can't keep the kids wrapped up forever.

We really appreciate your time and the site. It's always been a great instructional tool and resource.

Best,

Mike

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC