Clek Oobr

happymom

Why is the clek oobr so expensive? What makes it better than other highback boosters?

Just curious, I kind of like it and my oldest is getting closer to booster age/weight so I'm wondering if it's worth looking at despite the price.

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
It's expensive because of the materials and design and manufacture costs (made in North America not China.) It has a titanium alloy frame and Crypton fabric. Those aren't cheap.

As to whether it is better that depends on your needs. It us the only high back booster that works well in some vehicles with fixed forward leaning head restraints (allows a gap behind when used with LATCH as long as the head rest is touching the vehicle seat.) It has a structural head rest that acts as true head restraint even without vehicle support.

It is shallow (which works well in some trucks with shallow benches but can be uncomfortable for longer-legged kids.) It is heavy. And sometimes the shape doesn't work well in certain cars.

So like any booster there are pros and cons. It all depends on your kid and vehicle. Ideally, try before buying or buy somewhere with free and easy returns. :)

willoL

Clek Oobr also lasts for nine (9) years before expiration instead of six (6) for Britax Parkway SG (mine was from 2010) and many other seats.

My very small fourth grader (10th percentile) still requires a booster in some cars to fit safely, and he still finds a booster far more comfortable than a plain seat in almost every vehicle. His Parkway expired because he's my second child and his sibling used it first for several years.

I just realized this today and am going to move the Clek Oobr from my husband's car to mine when he gets home...

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Unfortunately the Oobr is shallow enough that's usually more of a benefit for passing down betweenmultiple kids than for using for older kids.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
It also has rigid LATCH, which not many other boosters do. Of the ones I can think of, they're all very expensive.

willoL

Yeah, I've got to admit to loving the rigid latch. I've been moving the Oobr a lot more often lately because our other HBB expired, and I enjoy the satisfying click (without cramming my sensitive, arthritic hands into the seat bight) EVERY TIME. :D

I'm hating the sheer weight of the metal-framed Oobr, though, due to the same arthritis. It is easy to put in, but hard to carry across, say, a large school parking lot. It is tolerable moving between cars in our own driveway or garage.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC