FF child due to behavior issues?

starshine514

My youngest is 32 months old (37", 33.5 lbs) and rear-faces in a Graco Contender in the center seat of our 2000 Toyota Camry. Her sisters (age 12, 5' 3" - seat belt alone - and 9, 4' 5" - backless Turbobooster) sit on either side of her. We tried her Contender on the side, but due to the shape of the seat, we lost about 6" of seating room when we did that. So, she is in the middle. We have had a lot of trouble the past few months with her kicking her sisters (often in the face) when they are in the back seat together (she likes her legs out to the side of the seat, not crossed). She isn't responding to scolding and I'm driving while all this screaming and fussing is going on in the back seat. I was considering moving her to FF to give her less access to her sisters' faces. Would you turn her FF because of this issue? Or does anyone have any ideas on how to modify her behavior?

Thanks

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would try rewarding trips where it DOESN'T happen. If it persisted, I might consider ff. I would give rewards for good behavior a shot first to see if it is a phase that may pass.

mom of six

We had this problem too only the offender was in a radian (lower profile) so his frequently contacted spot was the girls developing chests (they were 11 and 13). We tried tying his shoes together and putting a big piece of card board between him and his sisters. Honestly, I don't remember what worked best. I do remember that my son hated the cardboard (foam board from the dollar store) between him and his sisters he couldn't see them.

I would encourage your older girls to IGNORE the little one as much as possible in the car and maybe openly reward the big girls for not reacting or yelling so that little sis sees that they are getting stuff. Maybe she will wise up...

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I would try rewarding trips where it DOESN'T happen. If it persisted, I might consider ff. I would give rewards for good behavior a shot first to see if it is a phase that may pass.

I agree with this. My kids (who are not the easiest in the world) respond very well to sticker charts/other reward-type things. Give it a try: each trip she keeps her feet to herself, she gets a sticker. 10 stickers = some kind of reward. (It could be a treat, a small toy, or something as simple as extra stories at bedtime, getting to choose what to have for dinner, etc.)

starshine514

Thank you all for the advice (and lack of negative judgement). I think we will try the cardboard option, as the 2-yr-old generally wears cowboy boots or is shoeless (which makes for a softer impact).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC