Change of protocol they say

Stacey

I talked to Russ and he said they changed protocol after so many people were calling. Customer must pay for the shipping to send the car seat back to them. Of course they recommend to bring the car seat back to CT but when that's an hour drive away and then back and you've already done that i guess it's worth it to pay the shipping cost :( I'm disappointed that we are being treated differently than previous customers. Not a whole lot we can do about it though.

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I'm not surprised. So many people saw message boards like this one and abused SKJP's good faith to get a second seat when they didn't need one.

It's really too bad that the honest people lose out here. The good news is that if you do need to send your seat back for a new legitimate one, you are now getting a brand new DOM and a 65lbs seat for a fraction of the cost even though you have to pay return shipping for the defective seat.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I don't really think this is about 2nd seats though, because most parents, myself included, are fine with sending the short strapped seat back. But I think SK/PJM should be paying to ship the seat back to them. It's their mistake, & I think the issue is the customer having to pay shipping to have a manufacturing mistake made right. I have other concerns as well based on seeing all the requirements for having the seat replaced once PJM receives the seat back, but it's all speculative so I'll refrain from commenting...

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
I don't really think this is about 2nd seats though, because most parents, myself included, are fine with sending the short strapped seat back. But I think SK/PJM should be paying to ship the seat back to them. It's their mistake, & I think the issue is the customer having to pay shipping to have a manufacturing mistake made right. I have other concerns as well based on seeing all the requirements for having the seat replaced once PJM receives the seat back, but it's all speculative so I'll refrain from commenting...

Again, it's too bad the honest people have to suffer... but when you have people actively seeking out the 'short strapped' seats in order to get a new DOM and 65lbs limit seat, that just seems really dishonest to me (especially when it involves switching out a floor model that should not be sold, for a NIB model that is perfectly fine).

I've been on these and other boards for the past year and watched as more and more people learned the tricks on how to get SKJP to give them a new seat. I would be fed up as well. SKJP has said the short strapped seats only affected 20 or so of their Canadian seats... I do think it affected more than that, but it's not an obscene amount and I think it would be pretty difficult for SKJP to find that batch of seats and get them returned when it seems that they are all at CT and CT did not go through SKJP to get their seats... they went directly to the manufacturer of them overseas, at least that was the original story on why they did not get the 65lbs limit stickers. Just my :twocents:

Last edited:

Jewels

Senior Community Member
Again, it's too bad the honest people have to suffer... but when you have people actively seeking out the 'short strapped' seats in order to get a new DOM and 65lbs limit seat, that just seems really dishonest to me (especially when it involves switching out a floor model that should not be sold, for a NIB model that is perfectly fine).

I have to agree here. I think a lot of people have been coming here for advice and being told they can get a free seat if they have a short strapped one. Mind you, i'm sure many wouldn't object to sending the "old" seat back and quite frankly i'm not sure why SKJP wouldn't send a label to get that seat back. How many seats do you think were sold after being replaced and are being replaced again?? Not saying anyone here is doing that but it really wouldn't surprise me if that happens.

Personally I am glad that I didn't get a Aug06 seat as I didn't want to have to deal with getting it replaced and I would feel bad having two seats for the price of one. It really is too bad that people have to suffer but with the CT sale and people actively looking for a Aug06 DOM you are still getting a great deal even if you have to pay the shipping :twocents:

hipmaman

Okay, I must be one of the lucky ones, lol. I got one on Friday and it was Aug 06 unknowing of the short-strap issue. Well I talked to dh and he surprised me tonight after work with a Radian that he managed to find near work. Well, it's another Aug 06.

Darn, I just want a cheap RN to use with regular length straps to use as a second carseat for my newborn. I don't care about the 65 lbs limit as my kids are string beans and still have not reached 48 lbs at 6 yrs old and only at 50 lbs at 8 yrs old. I just want regular straps and I can't even get it with 2 RNs.

Maybe I should buy 6/49 with this luck, lol. Oh wait, didn't even get a number with the $30M jackpot on Saturday.

Should I give up with the RN?

snowbird25ca

I'm going to go ahead & voice my concern here... people are being asked to send their short strap seats back in saleable condition. What is PJM going to do with these short strapped seats once they get them back? Sell them to another parent and hope they don't catch on?

BTW - SK is tracking the serial #'s of seats that have been replaced, so the same seat won't be replaced twice. This is something Russ mentioned when I talked to him on the phone.

The way I see it, (with the exception of switching out the floor model since that seat might not've been sold anyways,) is that they screwed up, and they should have to replace those seats that are affected regardless of how many there are. It's not the consumers problem, and if I'm buying a seat on clearance I still expect to get a quality seat - what about all the people that have paid full price but not yet realized they have a short strapped seat?

I just don't think it's fair to put this on parents trying to get their seats replaced... SK screwed up in the first place when they assembled the seats at the factory. Lots of kids are going to outgrow the seat before crossing 48lbs anyways, but with not having the last little bit of length in the harness, it means some kids will not be able to use the seat even to the weight limit or the height limit. And I don't care if you got the seat for free, the company needs to own the mistake and fix it. :twocents:

Sorry, the more I think about it, the more riled up I get about it. To blame parents for wanting a seat with the correct length of harness strap really isn't fair - they had every right to expect a fully usable seat when they purchased it. And knowing the hoops that they are making parents go through to get their seats replaced, is the biggest thing that bugs me about it all. They have so many requirements and if a parent misses one of them, they won't get their seat replaced & they won't get the old one sent back.

Old policy was cut the straps, keep the cover - in other words we recognize the short strap seats aren't fully usable, just destroy it. Now they want it back in a condition they can re-sell? It's fishy to me. Very very fishy. And I'm not one to really get suspicious or think the worst, but the email package parents are being sent does not go over well with me at all.

snowbird25ca

hipmaman;260627Should I give up with the RN?[/QUOTE said:
Well, for $89 it's still cheaper than other seats and the harness will fit about the same length of time as an AO or other 3in1, so if you like it, I say keep it.

OTOH, at this point you've spent $180 between the 2 seats and the money could be put into an apex for your older kiddo and pass his MA down - or buy another marathon.

At least we know Britax stands behind their seats without making the customer pay an arm & a leg...

snowbird25ca

Shipping quotes from Toronto to Vancouver (Toronto postal code for t.smith was used, I just looked it up on canada 411.) I think the only rate that would be more expensive is if you were in the maratimes...

data used: 22lbs, 28" X 18" X 8"

Canada Post - $26.88 for parcel post, 7 business days (cheapest option.)
UPS - cheapest rate is $42.22 with approx 1 week delivery time frame.

$27 isn't too bad - but you'd be looking at 2 weeks without a seat, assuming they actually accepted the return and replaced the seat, and I still don't think parents should be having to pay for a manufacturing mistake in the first place... one that they're now trying to say was purposeful. :rolleyes:

ukmum

Hi Snowbird25:
You may be right that they intend to re-sell the Radians that come back to them as a return, thus they are asking for them back in re-saleable condition.

But according to the protocol letter, they state: "After inspection and verification, we will then either replace the harness straps on your seat or replace your seat and send it back to you"

Therefore, if the do plan on re-selling the seat, one can only hope that they will sell it on to the next customer with the longer straps.

But furthermore, this clause implies that there are NO guarantees that anyone who sends their seat back to SKJP will receive the NEW 65lb Radian. They may just receive their original seat with the straps replaced. Who knows, eh?

BudgieStew

I personally think that its unfair to the current buyers to have to pay to ship back when its a manufacturer mistake. They can go along and pick up the old seat as they were doing along the whole time.

Its Sunshine Kids responsibility to deal with the seat...they should have been pulled off the shelfs when they were first made aware of the problem...and it seem like there will be more then the 50 out there.

Personally I would just return the while seat to CT and be done with it(but in the case of some its just not possible) but that will putit back out for CT to sell again to an unsuspectingly consumer. Because not everyone is going to know about this and will have a problem down the road.

Stacey

You know the more I think about it the angrier I get. I only figured out it was short strapped because I already have one for my older son and when i was getting it ready to put in the van realized there was no slack. I argued with Russ about all of these shipping issues but he always came back with a rebuttal. I guess they are tired of dealing with teh issue and are passing it off as not really being an issue because teh straps will fit some children. Yes it will fit my skinny 4 year old right now but the whole reason I bought the seat is to keep them in a harness as long as possible.

I'm surprised there are so many of them as when I talked to customer service they were unsure what to do. I was recommending the Radian because I loved the one I have for my 4 year old but I certainly won't be recommending it now because the customer service is sub par.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
I agree that the consumer shouldn't have to pay shipping and that SKJP could have handled this better but with all the complaints i've seen here it isn't surpriseing to me that they are now expecting consumers to pay the shipping. I think they should have pulled all the seats when they first were aware of this problem or made a recall and fixed it right away. Instead they have been dealing with this problem for over a year now.

Hasn't Britax also requested people to pay their own shipping and end up being without a seat for a couple of weeks not sure if theirs will be replaced, repaired or sent back in the same condition? And I know Graco is't always the best company to have replace your seat either.

hipmaman

Shipping quotes from Toronto to Vancouver (Toronto postal code for t.smith was used, I just looked it up on canada 411.) I think the only rate that would be more expensive is if you were in the maratimes...

data used: 22lbs, 28" X 18" X 8"

Canada Post - $26.88 for parcel post, 7 business days (cheapest option.)
UPS - cheapest rate is $42.22 with approx 1 week delivery time frame.

$27 isn't too bad - but you'd be looking at 2 weeks without a seat, assuming they actually accepted the return and replaced the seat, and I still don't think parents should be having to pay for a manufacturing mistake in the first place... one that they're now trying to say was purposeful. :rolleyes:

No, no, no, no. The procedure asks for the seat to be returned by UPS or Fedex with delivery confirmation. So going by the dimensions and weight outside the box and between my postal code in Oakville and the postal code for the distributor's address, it would cost $46 by UPS. Didn't price it with FedEx yet.

I know the seat is still cheap enough, but how is it right to make parents paying the shipping cost? I might just end up returning them both and put the 8 yrs old in her Parkway and forget about harnessing her in our second car and buy another Marathon for the newborn when the time comes. But I have choices and money for carseats is not an issue that dh would disagree with me. But what would the parents not having choices do?

And there is one stipulation that the seat returned must have the original purchase receipt clearly showing name of purchaser, date of purchase, name of seller and price paid. If all stipulations including the one I just mentioned not met, the seat would not be processed for verification (that it has short straps) and will not be sent back. How many of you have your name printed on the receipt, unless it's on-line purchase? I know my name is not on the receipt and am I willing to pay $46 for shipping and not have the seat return? No way, no how.

Jewels

Senior Community Member
people are being asked to send their short strap seats back in saleable condition.
Where did it say to send seats back in saleable condition :confused: They should not be re-selling these seats.
BTW - SK is tracking the serial #'s of seats that have been replaced, so the same seat won't be replaced twice. This is something Russ mentioned when I talked to him on the phone.

Well that is good. As long as they really are keeping track of it :rolleyes:

hipmaman

Hi Snowbird25:
You may be right that they intend to re-sell the Radians that come back to them as a return, thus they are asking for them back in re-saleable condition.

But according to the protocol letter, they state: "After inspection and verification, we will then either replace the harness straps on your seat or replace your seat and send it back to you"

Therefore, if the do plan on re-selling the seat, one can only hope that they will sell it on to the next customer with the longer straps.

But furthermore, this clause implies that there are NO guarantees that anyone who sends their seat back to SKJP will receive the NEW 65lb Radian. They may just receive their original seat with the straps replaced. Who knows, eh?

I hear that the distributor is also the owner of TJ Kids. Are they planning to resell these seats? Maybe. And there are plenty of uninformed and unsuspecting parents out there that can be conned.

I asked the distributor if they would assure me the straps replaced by themselves and not the manufacture would be done correctly and safely and still meet safety standards. Well, I didn't get the response to that question at all.

hipmaman

I personally think that its unfair to the current buyers to have to pay to ship back when its a manufacturer mistake. They can go along and pick up the old seat as they were doing along the whole time.

Its Sunshine Kids responsibility to deal with the seat...they should have been pulled off the shelfs when they were first made aware of the problem...and it seem like there will be more then the 50 out there.

Personally I would just return the while seat to CT and be done with it(but in the case of some its just not possible) but that will putit back out for CT to sell again to an unsuspectingly consumer. Because not everyone is going to know about this and will have a problem down the road.

I think Transport Canada needs to know. Safety recalls or public notices start out this way.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Some of those requirements do seem a tad ridiculous. I, too, think they should not be charging people to return a seat. I just can't help but see their side of this as well. I've watched numerous people come to the boards all excited that they got two for the price of one... all they had to do was call in, complain about a minor defect and SKJP replaced the seat.

It doesn't surprise me they are being more careful... the company would go bankrupt if they kept up their old practices.

Knowing their customer service in the past though, I would be surprised if a persistent customer speaking with them on the phone wasn't able to get some help with that list of requirements.

shauburg

I think Transport Canada needs to know. Safety recalls or public notices start out this way.

I wish they would just recall the seat. Because I found this forum, I know my seat (Dec 2006) is not short strapped and asked my friend to check hers (Oct 2006), so she knows hers is okay. But what about the friend of my friend (and so on and so on) that also just got the Radian because they heard about the great deal at CT? How are members of the public who buy this seat supposed to find out about this defect?

I know it's not a safety issue, but it's not fair that a non-car-seat.org parent will not be able to use this seat as long as they should be able to because their child outgrows the short straps. They should require SKJP to get all of these seats off the shelves (if any are left), issue a public notice, and inform all parents who registered an Aug 2006 seat to check if their seat is affected.

Has anyone brought this issue to TCs attention yet? Or do you know how one would go about doing so?

snowbird25ca

I asked the distributor if they would assure me the straps replaced by themselves and not the manufacture would be done correctly and safely and still meet safety standards. Well, I didn't get the response to that question at all.

The harness on the Radian is not replaceable. Numerous people have been told this, and I've also been told the same by Russ. Plus the manual of the seat itself says to never remove the harness.

So none of the short-strapped seats would be able to have a different harness put on them, so if they were resold, they'd be sold with the shorter harness, with the hopes of the new owner not realizing the problem.

I also take issue with the receipt requirement. Most stores aren't even able to have that kind of info on a customer receipt for an in store purchase because of FOIPP and the other privacy protection legislation. So how many parents will do the best they can, send the seat in, and then not get a replacement seat, plus have lost their short strapped seat & all the shipping money. :thumbsdown:

I did a little math on their whole 48lb dummy claim... they would have had to tested the seat with the 6yr old 51lb dummy. The dummy has a torso length of 18.2" once you subtract the length of the head - not accounting for whatever distance might be the neck - I'm not sure if that's included in the height of the head or not... So basically, the dummy they've used to crash test the seat either wouldn't fit, or would barely fit in short strapped seats.

The other factor, is that seats pass standards separate from the harness. When a seat is sent in by a manufacturer to request permission to affix the CMVSS sticker, the seat is sent in barebones. This isn't a problem, because all of the harness components are regulated, as are the seat covers and padding. Since the seat passes standards independently from the other components, they're free to change harness length or materials at any time without having to submit the seat for recertification, the only requirement is that the harness or whatever else meets the related regulations be it abrasion or flammability or buckle release pressure.

I was thinking last night, and true recalls are only issued on things that affect the safety of a restraint in a crash. Harness length isn't going to affect the safety provided a parent doesn't just use the seat without buckling it up - I'd hope most parents would have enough sense to just not use a seat that they couldn't buckle... but along those lines, I'm doubtful that a full recall could be ordered - an information notice making consumers aware, yes. But I don't think TC could force a recall without any risk in the safety of the seat.

But what really gets me most is their all the sudden taking the stance that the seats with short-straps were purposefully designed that way & should fit a 48lb child just fine. They should pay to have the short strapped seat shipped to them, and then they can pay to ship the replacement seat back to the customer. The customer should never have to pay for a manufacturers screw up.

I'm not sure about the past, but I know at present Britax is issuing calltags to have seats picked up. In some instances now they're taking credit card #'s and placing a hold on funds, shipping the replacement seat & then issuing the calltag. Once they receive the old seat back at the warehouse, the hold on the funds is released. That way parents aren't without their seat, and they haven't paid any money in the long run. This is how it should be. (I'm not sure what procedure for Canada would be though. I do know the parts I've had replaced under the warranty of my seat have been shipped for free and when they sent me the wrong parts the first time they were going to issue a prepaid label to mail them back, but they never did... They certainly didn't ask me to pay for the extra straps or to pay for shipping to send them back though...)

Jewels - I'm thinking they're keeping a definite list based on what Russ told me... he said they're telling people to destroy the seats because they want to make sure someone else doesn't get their hands on it, contact them about the short harness and then SK have to tell the person contacting them that their seat had already been replaced and there was nothing they could do about it because the seat was officially written off as far as they were concerned.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC