Scary booster story

Status
Not open for further replies.

walnutgold

My 8yo DS has been in a HBB full time for several months now. With fairly frequent reminders he is able to sit well in a high back (though all bets are off if I put him in something backless). Currently he sits between two Radians in a Maxi-Cosi booster. Today one of the toddlers he sits between had a tantrum and threw a pacifier on the floor. DS (being the expert big brother) immediatly bent down to pick it up. At that moment I had to slam on my brakes because someone cut me off. DS hit the seat in front of him! He has no injuries at all, but I was terrified! Now I am seriously contemplating moving him back into a harnessed seat. He really struggles with remembering to sit upright and not to move around too much or put his legs up. But at 8 years old it's becoming inconvenient to keep him harnessed. Obviously is harnessed is safer for him in terms of maturity I will switch him back, but I'm just not sure what to do. Any help is appreciated!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
At that age for a neurotypical kid, I would give a stern talk about sitting in place even if something drops or serious injury could occur, explain paralysis etc., then keep track of how often the child needs to be reminded.

If the child has to be reminded more than once every couple of months to sit right, I would issue a last warning before re-harnessing. An 86-Y can be used with an existing booster to 168 lbs. So I'd show the kid they are NOT too big. If that didn't work I'd follow through on that.

Also make sure you and other adults are modeling not turning around, picking things up or otherwise being out of position.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
I would think that slamming into the seat would have been a pretty good lesson in itself.

If he typically does well and only got out of position to be helpful (not screw around, etc.) I wouldn't worry about it. I mean, yes, continue discussing the importance of staying in position. Give him solid direction. "It was nice of you to pick up the pacifier for little brother/sister, but you need to stay seated. See what happens if you don't? What if we had been in a more serious crash? The next time X drops something, instead of leaning over to get it, let me know."

walnutgold

I would think that slamming into the seat would have been a pretty good lesson in itself.

If he typically does well and only got out of position to be helpful (not screw around, etc.) I wouldn't worry about it. I mean, yes, continue discussing the importance of staying in position. Give him solid direction. "It was nice of you to pick up the pacifier for little brother/sister, but you need to stay seated. See what happens if you don't? What if we had been in a more serious crash? The next time X drops something, instead of leaning over to get it, let me know."

I have him a stern talking to. His was very understanding. He was super great this morning to and from church. He's been diagnosed with ADHD and anxiety, so he has a lot of trouble sitting still in general. We've decided that a good rule is that if something drops we need to wait until we hit a red light or park the car to get it. Usually he will wait to pick stuff up, but DS5 was screaming and he just wanted some quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC