Tallest HBB?

ADS

Athena

Dedicated boosters only? Last I heard, I think they are:

Safety 1st Boost Air
Britax Parkway
Diono Monterey or Recaro Performance

Can anyone else confirm? HTH.

I am hoping something new will come out soon for my DD who is on her top Parkway height.

AllieK

Thanks, Athena! Yes, I'm hoping the next 1-2yrs brings us some taller boosters! DS is huge and has nearly outgrown all harnessed seats but the SureRide & Frontier so I'm trying to think ahead a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device

Kegracin

Dedicated boosters only? Last I heard, I think they are:

Safety 1st Boost Air
Britax Parkway
Diono Monterey or Recaro Performance

Can anyone else confirm? HTH.

I am hoping something new will come out soon for my DD who is on her top Parkway height.

I agree but the safety first boosters need head rest support. (I'm pretty sure all the safety 1st boosters are the same height so store n go/pronto as well as the boost air)
Eta don't forget you can always use the compare chart on carseatblog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AllieK

So it looks like Monterey is better for broad shoulders? The Parkway internal shoulder width measurement is very narrow, or is that measurement deceiving?

Athena

I agree but the safety first boosters need head rest support. (I'm pretty sure all the safety 1st boosters are the same height so store n go/pronto as well as the boost air)
Eta don't forget you can always use the compare chart on carseatblog.

FYI: The Monterey/Diono boosters require vehicle head rest support, as do all Dorel boosters. In contrast, Britax instructs you to remove your vehicle head rest if it interferes with a good fit for the parkway.

Yes, I think the pronto is that same height. No idea about store n go.

So it looks like Monterey is better for broad shoulders? The Parkway internal shoulder width measurement is very narrow, or is that measurement deceiving?

That sounds plausible. The Parkway is not a seat for wide kids. It's not a seat for littles/narrow kids in the way the turbo is, but it has been fitting my slender DD very well at ages 6-7. Yet, I should add the disclaimer that she's very tall making her larger overall than most kids her age, so it might be too big for a petite, slender 6yo. I really don't know. What I do know is that when we put a chunky 8yo in ours, she was squished (safe, but she looked squished to me), but that's not to say a 5 or 6yo with somewhat wider shoulders wouldn't fit well. I'd just say to try it and make sure you can return if it does not fit. On the other hand, if you like the monterey and can provide vehicle head rest support without it pushing the booster forward off the vehicle seat, then that might be the better choice. I don't have a lot of experience with it and there have been too many versions for me to know for sure though. HTH some. Sorry I can't be of more help. I'm surprised more aren't chiming in on this thread.

AllieK

Thanks, Athena! All the vehicles we'll be using have adjustable headrests so that's not a concern. My son is about 45" and 46lbs right now, I wouldn't consider him "wide" but he does seem to have broad shoulders (he's squished in his MySize) so I'm leaning towards the Monterey, unless there is something better on the market next 1-2 years.
Posted via Mobile Device

cookie123

I think when I looked at the measurements page the Boost Air was the tallest. I'm still thinking about getting that. Matt is on the top of the Parkway now, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

AllieK

I think when I looked at the measurements page the Boost Air was the tallest. I'm still thinking about getting that. Matt is on the top of the Parkway now, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

From what I've read the Boost Air does have the tallest belt guide position at 22.5" but has a standing height limit of 57" where as the Monterey has a standing height limit of 63" IIRC and highest belt position of 21".

I would imagine by the time a child is 58" they'd be 5 stepping though, right?
Posted via Mobile Device

cookie123

From what I've read the Boost Air does have the tallest belt guide position at 22.5" but has a standing height limit of 57" where as the Monterey has a standing height limit of 63" IIRC and highest belt position of 21".

Posted via Mobile Device

You'd think so.

See how easily misuse happens? I hadn't considered that. It's hard to think of everything! Maybe it would have occurred to me before I made a decision of some kind. I have no idea how tall Matt is. He's little for his age though and he just turned 8 so he can't be that tall, right? Really once he maxes out the highback booster I don't know what they're going to do. They're upside down on their van so they're stuck with it. He could sit in the 3rd row middle I guess, right? We seem to overlook that. Matt next to anyone isn't a good idea. Maybe Hannah could take that spot. They have the VW Routan so the shoulder belt issue common to the Caravan/Town and Country.

mping

My 57" kid 5 steps in some cars but not in a captain seat in our van.

Athena

Yes, unless anything is coming out, that's what I've been told too.

Posted via Mobile Device

As far as 5 stepping by 57" or 58", I wouldn't assume so at all. My DD definitely did not. Even at 5 feet tall, I'm not sure that lap belt is low enough and need to post here to ask as soon as I get some pics.

As for standing height limits, my experience has been that kids usually outgrow the top harness slots or top booster shoulder belt guide heights sooner. I would think that only a very short torsoed kid would make it to 61" in the monterey anyway, so it's usually irrelevant, but that probably would not be true for the boostair. I hadn't noticed that limitation either and I guess that makes that booster useless for us because by the time my DD outgrows her Parkway as HBB, she'll probably be at or very close to 57". Britax, make a taller parkway!!!

AllieK

Aaaaand to further complicate things for me my son has a freakishly long torso - he can still wear some size 5 pants but shirts need to be a 6 or 7. :doh:

Athena

Aaaaand to further complicate things for me my son has a freakishly long torso - he can still wear some size 5 pants but shirts need to be a 6 or 7. :doh:

I know what's that's like. My 7yo still often wears pants a size smaller than her shirts, but my 9yo seems to have evened out because she's now wearing 10-12 in both and she had a very long torso when she was younger. So there is still hope he'll even out. ;)

AllieK

I found this thread via search. Is the safety first boost air discontinued? Is there a similarly tall model that replaces it?

I just posted a similar question! Amazon says it's discontinued. It's no longer on Safety 1st's website. I have an email into Dorel (the manufacturer) asking if it has been discontinued and if it was replaced with a newer model. I'll update this post when I hear back from them.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC