Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread

Travel Seat Recommendation

We are flying with in January with our son who will be 14 months old. I am looking for a second seat that will be great for a 4-hour flight and 2-hour drive in a shuttle van. He is a lightweight (was 20 lb at 1-year appointment) and slightly above average height. I know I have seen Cosco seats recommended for this purpose. I guess I am wondering about how comfortable they are for such a long trip...if I spend a little more, can I expect more in the way of comfort? I would probably not use the seat much after the trip, but I would keep it as a back-up.

A quick look at Diapers.com sorted by price shows:

Cosco APT40RF
    Evenflo Tribute Sport
    Evenflo Tribute LX
    Cosco APT50
    Safety 1st OnSide Aire
    Safety 1st Guide 65
    Evenflow SureRide 65 DLX
    Graco MyRide 65
    Safety 1st Chart 65 Air
    Safety 1st All-in-one Convertible
    Britax Roundabout
    Evenflow Triumph LX
    Safety 1st Complete Air 65
    Safety 1st Alpha Elite 65

I'm assuming the 65-lb seats are too bulky and heavy for travel. I would love recommendations or best bets from this price range (under ~$150).

Thanks in advance!

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Travel Seat Recommendation

Hi there.

I'd recommend none of those. The Coscos/Safety 1sts at 20 pounds will be very reclined. The Evenflos will be very reclined. The Alpha Elite 65 is never recommended. The Roundabout would be fine, but it's heavier. The Graco is large and bulky.

Most kids have no complaints on the padding, or lack thereof, in the carseat. They're wearing diapers.

Since he's older but a lightweight, the Cosco Scenera Next would still allow him to sit at a non newborn angle (unlike the other Coscos listed) and would fit better rear facing on a plane and in any rental/family car. The Scenera Next is also cheaper than the others, longer lasting than a lot of them rear facing (longer than the Graco, Britax, Evenflo Tribute/Triumph, equal to the Coscos and Safety 1sts on your list), lighter weight than all the others, and one of the easiest to install.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

4. Thank You from:

Perfect! Thanks for sharing your knowledge, Wendy!

Travel Seat Recommendation

The Scenera NEXT seats that are solid colors (I think they are online only?) are really comfy. Since you have time and they are the same price as the print seats, I would order a solid color. We have a blue one and it is nice smooth cushy fabric almost like a wetsuit.

Order soon, though, and then as soon as you get it call Dorel and ask for the longer crotch strap. I don't know if it's necessary for a 14 month old, but it was totally necessary for my 32 month old and it's good to get right away since it will be needed later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding FF in a Chicco MyFit, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding RF in a Graco Milestone, a Graco Extend-2-Fit 3-in-1 and a Graco SlimFit)

CPS Technician
    The Graco Contender ($99-$120 depending on sales) makes a great travel seat. The closed belt path makes it more comfortable once forward facing on a plane so the plane buckle doesn't end up behind the child's back. It is also fairly light weight.

The Scenera NEXT is great for strictly rear facing if you don't mind buying a different travel seat later once forward facing.
    DS1 (April '09) Britax Parkway SGL & Clek Olli, DD (March '12) Britax Frontier 90 & Evenflo Maestro, DS2 (April '15) RF Nuna Rava & RF Clek Foonf
    2011 Honda Pilot
    2009 Honda Ridgeline

8. Thank You from:

For that age and size, I would go with the Scenera NEXT as well. Yes, it isn't going to last you forever, but at $45 it's worth the cost in my opinion. Plus it is so much lighter than just about anything else out there for carrying around the airport.
    Big Boy G: 11/6/2012, 53lb/49", Evenflo Procomfort RightFit HBB, Evenflo Big Kid HBB
    Little Bro C - 12/4/2015, 32lb/38" Graco Nautilus 65 Safety Surround, Graco Atlas 65
    Extra Seats: Graco Nautilus 65, Cosco Apt 50, Evenflo Maestro, Harmony Defender, Graco Turbobooster NBB, Cosco Rise NBB

We ended up buying the Cosco Scenera Next. It looks great! Any tips for the best/cheapest/easiest way to transport it in the airport? A strap or backpack system? Preferably something available on Amazon Prime?

Thanks all!

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

If you don't check a rolling bag, I'd use the Traveling Toddler.

Otherwise, a folding luggage cart.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Carseat Crazy

When we traveled with 2 seats we used this because we already owned it: Magna Cart Personal 150 lb Capacity Aluminum Folding Hand Truck https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000HVVSDU..._q6fIwbWD5PDWV

It worked well!
    Posted via Mobile Device

Are you bringing a stroller? The NEXT is so light I would just use the latch strap or tether to hang it off the handle of your stroller.

Mama to G. (born March of 2013, riding FF in a Chicco MyFit, an IMMI Go, and a Britax Marathon)... and L. (born June of 2015, riding RF in a Graco Milestone, a Graco Extend-2-Fit 3-in-1 and a Graco SlimFit)

CPS Fanatic

We had 4 carseats to carry and all were similar to the Scenera Next, earlier versions, and even a 50 lbs. limit Maestro. We stuck some on our thumbs. They were light, lol. Not easy with that many seats but we did it.
    Seatbelt and 59" (9 YO)
    Harmony Youth (8 YO)/Clek Olli (6YO)
    Harmony Dreamtime (5 YO)
    Clek Fllo (3 YO, RF)/Graco 40 (15 months)
    + 2 Recaro Performance boosters in spare car

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Nedra View Post
    Are you bringing a stroller? The NEXT is so light I would just use the latch strap or tether to hang it off the handle of your stroller.

OMG! I had no idea you could do that!?! I thought you couldn't use any of the seat straps as a carry handle. Why I thought that? I dunno. I should have been doing THIS all along!!! Gosh.

Carseat Crazy

Quote Originally Posted by Angie View Post
    OMG! I had no idea you could do that!?! I thought you couldn't use any of the seat straps as a carry handle. Why I thought that? I dunno. I should have been doing THIS all along!!! Gosh.

From my understanding, the LATCH strap is okay but not the harness.
    Allie, Mom to
    DS (1.6.2012) riding in a Frontier
    DD (2.2.2014) riding in a 4Ever & Boulevard