I had a refresher class today

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I actually enjoyed it. I learned some things as well! I wasn't expecting to. I also corrected the instructors once or twice and vocalized my opinions on ERFing and EHing. And of course the instructor and I disagreed on where to put people in the car (she's of the "younger in middle" whereas I'm of the "least safe in middle."). But whatever. We talked about the "clik" booster a bit, the 65 pound harness limit of the FPSVD, how some seats go to 30 pounds RFing.... It WAS said that a five point is safest, and while it was said that RFing to the limit of the seat is good, they didn't come out and say "even if that means your child is well into their third or fourth year." The presentation said 18-24 months, but the instructor didn't say it. One person there didn't realize that you could tether without the lower anchors. And people wonder why I don't trust firemen to do carseats. Oy.

One thing that was new to me that I wanted to check on was that Dorel seats need to be tethered first, then installed? Is that all of them, or just the ones that are so old they have those horrible old tethers? They also said there's a three point Scenera? I think she was confused, unless she meant the OHS version. Another highlight was when one of the instructors said that the Companion had rigid LATCH. She even held them up and they flopped back down. Um, DUH, flexible!! Those are called alligator clips, not rigid LATCH. Another wonderful moment was when we were doing a who goes where challenge and I put the 2yo 27 pounder RFing outboard. The lady at the next table said, "But they're too heavy to RF." "No, they only weigh 27 pounds. Even the lowest convertibles go to 30 pounds and most now are going to 35." And these are techs?!

Other than that not too much new to me. I didn't know that the SS2 had built in lockoffs like the SS1 (she said the seat was pretty pointless and wished it went higher than 40 pounds, but didn't mention the rumor that it may be at some point). She said that Graco was coming out with the Sprout that would be a HWH combo in the spring, and that Graco is testing some toys specifically with their carseats.

That was it. One lady came up after class, she was the third instructor and went over new seats (she and I had a discussion right before that about the pros and cons of the Radians, she's a KDMF tech and was installing two later today). She asked where I worked. I told her I was a SAHM. She asked where I knew about all of these seats!? LOL CAR-SEAT.ORG, Baby! Plug plug plug. hehe

I'm doing a seat install tomorrow. Actually, cleaning up whatever the firemen did wrong. She said she didn't get a warm fuzzy from them. So now it's my turn to do it properly! She's got an 11 month old 17 pounder in a Roundabout. $10 says that's not tether anywhere.

Oh, speaking of Britax tethering, well, two things. One, I was the only person in the class who had tethered a seat RFing. Two, I called Britax a week or two ago and asked about the D ring kits for techs and left a message on Sarah's voicemail. I haven't heard back. Has anyone else had luck?

Also, while I've got a post started, for you senior checkers, how long did it take for you to become a senior checker after you put your application in? I put mine in a few weeks ago and I've heard nothing from SK.

Wendy

ADS

cpsaddict

sorry to go off subject, but I'm wonder why you think the middle is least safe? thanks

She meant the middle is the most safe, so the least safe child should go there, i.e the one in the forward facing car seat. A newborn rf is safer than a toddler forward facing, so the toddler should go in the safest spot in the car, the middle. If there is a shoulder belt in the middle, then a boostered child should go there and a harnessed child outboard, because the harnessed child is the safest.

Hope that makes sense!

Simplysomething

We talked about the "clik" booster a bit, the 65 pound harness limit of the FPSVD.

Can you elaborate on that? I know the MA and clones all have the 65 lbs limit, but the FPSVD comes with a 55 lbs limit out of the box. So, I'm curious! lol

One thing that was new to me that I wanted to check on was that Dorel seats need to be tethered first, then installed? Is that all of them, or just the ones that are so old they have those horrible old tethers? They also said there's a three point Scenera?
FWIW, the manual of my Scenera instructs you to install the seat with the belt or lower anchors first, then attach the top tether. (Step 3 on page 34)

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Can you elaborate on that? I know the MA and clones all have the 65 lbs limit, but the FPSVD comes with a 55 lbs limit out of the box. So, I'm curious! lol

FWIW, the manual of my Scenera instructs you to install the seat with the belt or lower anchors first, then attach the top tether. (Step 3 on page 34)

Their info was wrong. The FPSVD is 55 pounds, they just said 65. And the "clik" is the Clek, they spelled it wrong.

I remember in my class we had an old Cosco, I think a Touriva 5 pt and the tether had to be done first. Just because otherwise you wouldn't know how long to make the tether and you had to adjust it like you adjust a bra strap, rather than a real tether. When they said that all Dorels had to have the tether done first, that just didn't sit right with me. I didn't think it was right.

Wendy

spokaneCPST

CPST Instructor
Sr Checker status - my Safekids coordinator put my paperwork in (electronically) on 8/6. I got an email that day from Safekids, saying that it would be reviewed and processed ASAP. I have never heard any more from them. My Safekids coord. says I am listed as a sr checker on the site where she inputs events, so I must have been approved. I just have never heard anything.
Renee

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Yeah, newer dorel seats definitely don't get tethered before being installed - the old ones though with the tether strap that you had to double back to keep in place - they are a PITA just to adjust - would be very hard to tighten after installing. Although my preference is to guesstimate the length, install the seat & hook up the tether - if it's too long, I'll take out the seat, adjust the tether length & then reinstall the seat... The problem with tightening the tether on the old ones before installing the seat, is that if you over-tighten it, you won't be able to get the seat installed properly. Best thing to do in those cases is usually to just work the adjuster up near the top of the shell of the car seat when possible so you can try and adjust it after the seat is installed.

So basically, I think the only scenario where you'd attach a pre-tightened tether first would be with an older seat and a tether anchor that you couldn't access once the seat was installed - otherwise you could just attach the pre-tightened tether after the seat was installed. (I did this just this past Monday, and I actually jumped up & down & squealed when it was the right length first try. :eek:)

Although maybe what the instructors were trying to say was to attach the tether hook first (without tightening the strap,) install the seat & then tighten the tether strap. I believe they may have that sequence in some of the new manuals so that the tether hook doesn't get stuck behind the seat when installing it. I often do ff'ing seats this way now anyways, I've taken out seats too many times because of trapped tether straps. :rolleyes:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC