Top tether install free at dealer?

InTheWoods

I just read another post that suggested a Chevy dealer could install a top tether anchor for free.

Do all dealers or should all dealers (but they just don't know it) install top tether anchors for free? The Subaru dealer put one in my '96 Outback wagon and it was $45 parts and labor.

Just curious because we're expecting #2 in February and I need to get another tether hook put in.

Thanks,
Kristin

ADS

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
some are free, some aren't, it all depends on the dealer and the policies...gm offers one free part and installation, subaru must have a different policy, but it's good to call around if you have more than one dealer in your area.
:)

InTheWoods

Thanks, Julie.

Huh, okay. Well, since GM owns a large part of Subaru, Subaru should follow GM's policies on tether hook installs. I'll try that one on for size -- don't know how far it'll get me! I'm always willing to try anything.

Kristin

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
GM, Ford and Chrysler all have policies to install at least one tether for free. If a dealer is unaware of the policy, you can call the manufacturer to have them inform the dealer of the reimbursement procedure.

Other manufacturers do not have corporate policies for free tethers to my knowledge, but it doesn't hurt to ask. Dealers from any brand may do this on their own even if they aren't reimbursed from corporate.

UlrikeDG

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Here's what I have:

General Motors will provide and install free of charge one Child Restraing (CR) Top Tether Hardware Package for anchoring in most 1989 and later vehicles. The free installation must be for a forward-facing CR in one rear-seat seating position. See Service Bulletin 99-09-40-004.

This bulletin does NOT include Subaru vehicles. The range of cost for Subaru tether anchor kits, including installation is $23-$35.

All this is according to the 2003 LATCH manual. Check your vehicle manual for more details on locations and part numbers.

That cost is really reasonable. I've seen some dealers try to charge upwards of $100 for labor on tether anchor installs!

S

Starleigh

Call more than one dealership. Definately. Some error on your side.

When my friend went to have anchors put in they wanted to charge her for all three (this was a Ford, we even showed them the manual that said it was free), they said the program was discontinued. This was in a large metropolitan area.

Fast forward to me getting my car, I called the nearest dealership and they hadn't heard of the program (Ford, again) but looked it up and agreed that it said free. I only wanted the middle one but I asked them how much extra it would be for the outboards and they said they'd do those for free too, so I just went ahead and had all three done. I'm glad I did, I've used the two outboards at one time so it was worth it just to have it done all at once, though it wasn't exactly needed. I really didn't want risk needing more and getting stuck paying for it. This is in a semi-rural area, far from any cities.

So call around, maybe if you find a combo dealership they may do it for free.

InTheWoods

Thanks, everyone. I've got two Subaru dealers w/in an hour from me, so I'll call both and compare prices and policies.

Happy Holidays!

Kristin

InTheWoods

I wasn't sure of the details, but Googled it to find out more, and GM owns a 20% (as of 2000) share of Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd., which manufactures cars under the Subaru moniker.

So my suggestion to the Subaru dealer is going to be a 20% discount, since GM's policy is N/C for tether hook installs. Don't think it'll fly, but like Julie (?) said above, no harm in asking. I'll always put it out there and see what comes back.

Thanks,
Kristin

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC