Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Locking clip in Denmark

Hello, I have a fairly urgent question about how to find a locking clip in Denmark. I researched car seat safety before our trip here and my Danish husband and I decided it was safer to bring our own car seat. Unfortunately, we did not know that the seatbelts here in Denmark do not have the correct locking ability! We need a locking clip and have no idea where to get one here.

We rented a car and as an emergency measure, rented a Danish infant seat in hopes it would be safer than ours which we can't use without a locking belt or clip. It's not safe - I'm actually kind of horrified that this is how infants are transported here. There is no belt lock or clamp built in and there is 4-6 inches of movement at the belt path.

Our son is 8 months and 8.1kg. We brought his Chicco Keyfit 30, but did not bring the base (which would have solved this problem). He is slightly too small for us to go purchase a new good seat here as they all seem to start at 9 kg. A new seat would also cost us about $400-450, which is a heavy hit to our budget.

So....anyone know where I can find a locking clip ASAP? We are in Copenhagen and could also possibly make it to Malmö, Sweden if necessary.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

CPST and ketchup snob ketchupqueen's Avatar

Re: Locking clip in Denmark

Try checking baby stores for a ”gated h-clip.” I believe Britax sells them as accessories there and possibly other brands, even though they are usually attached to seats there, in case they are lost...
    CPST and Mom to Emma, 15, Bridget, 13, Maggie, 11, Katie Sue, 6, Jimmy, born May 2019,
    and Becky, waiting for us as part of our eternal family.
    Our '02 Odyssey, car seats, and seatbelts saved our lives. Now riding in a '13 Odyssey!

Quote Originally Posted by littleclimber View Post
    We rented a car and as an emergency measure, rented a Danish infant seat in hopes it would be safer than ours which we can't use without a locking belt or clip. It's not safe - I'm actually kind of horrified that this is how infants are transported here. There is no belt lock or clamp built in and there is 4-6 inches of movement at the belt path.
    What seat did you get? Could it be that it's not installed correctly [if it's the carrier only without base or if the base doesn't have a load leg does the seatbelt's diagonal part go all the way around the seat as all Euro seats require]? That sounds like a lot of movement.
    M, 8, FF in a dark blue HTS BeSafe iziUp X3 Fix [ERFed until 5 years old ]. J, 3, RF in a Chilly Pepper Britax MaxWay or a Black Thunder Britax TWE.

Unregistered
    Quote Originally Posted by _juune View Post
    What seat did you get? Could it be that it's not installed correctly [if it's the carrier only without base or if the base doesn't have a load leg does the seatbelt's diagonal part go all the way around the seat as all Euro seats require]? That sounds like a lot of movement.
    The seat is an Apramo Gaia. I have followed directions as shown and also used techniques I was taught for our own seat to try to secure the belt as tight as possible. The shoulder part of the seatbelt is correctly looped around the back but it is still so loose.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Carseat Crazy

Maybe AdventureDad can help you out?
    http://www.carseat.se/

Senior Community Member Adventuredad's Avatar

Sorry you can't find a locking clip. Please don't confuse a locking clip with better safety. A locking clip does affect safety. There is no need for a locking clip with the seats we use in Europe.

Never heard of the infant seat you are using but installation is standard in pretty much all infant seats without a base. You place the lap part of the belt across the front an then thread the rest around the seat. Done.

Infant seats installed with a belt will move more than with an Isofix base but safety is still just as great. In an accident the seat belt with immediately lock and hold the car seat.
    Annika: 8 • Britax Adventure
    Daniel: 11 • Britax Adventure
    I will only post ONE comment in each thread. If you have further questions send a PM or email
    Imported child seats may not conform to applicable safety standards, laws or customs regulations in some countries.

Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Thanks for the answer, AdventureDad. We went to a baby store here and they were able to help us get it a little tighter using a special trick of up and down movement. It still moves about 3" at the belt path. The seat itself is so flimsy that it feels very unsafe compared to our Chicco - that's why we were preferring to use a locking clip with our own seat.

Still haven't found a locking clip (gated h clip) here in Copenhagen. My husband now wants to drive to Malmö to buy an Axkid Minikid but can't find it in stock yet.
    Posted via Mobile Device