Making kids safer, one question at a time.  Welcome to the Car-Seat.Org community!   Motor Vehicle Crashes are the #1 cause of fatal injury for children and adults, age groups 1 to 34.   Selecting a safe car, minivan or SUV, plus correctly using child restraints and seatbelts may be the most important things you can do to protect your family.   Need help installing an infant, convertible or booster seat?   Looking for carseat reviews or compatibility advice? Need help buying the best and safest car seats for your baby, toddler or older kid?   No question is a bad one, so please click here to ask our experts a question and then join our friendly community of moms, dads, caregivers and advocates in the USA and Canada.   Thank you for visiting; buckle-up and drive safely!

Sponsored Ads

+ Reply to Thread
    Unregistered

Best option for traveling

HI! I am going to be flying with my two kids in a couple months. They are 3 and 5 and both in forward facing Britax Frontiers. I have the Love Cares harnesses to use on the flight. I do not want to check our car seats though as I'm afraid they may be damaged. I will need something to use in a rental car for a couple shorts trips around town in San Francisco. I have no desire to get my kids out of a five point harness anytime soon. However, I was thinking of using the Bubble Bum for my five year old just while we are out of town. I'm already super nervous about that though. I have no idea what to do with my 3 yr old. She is 43 lbs and 41 inches. I looked into purchasing a cheaper car seat once we got there but she is over the limits on most of them. She is in the limits for a bubble bum but not age and I just cannot see myself putting her in a booster. What would you suggest?

2. # ADS
    Sponsored Ads

Admin - CPST Instructor wendytthomas's Avatar

Re: Best option for traveling

How would you get from the airport to where you're buying the seats?

I'd buy at least one Evenflo Maestro (harnesses to 50 pounds), two if your five year old is under 50 pounds as well, and take them on board and use them. That way you have two seats that weigh less than one Frontier, both kids have seats on board (my five year old chooses a seat because it's more comfortable for her. Three year olds are also not consistently able to leave the big shiny silver thing alone and have been removed from planes due to it), and both kids have harnesses that you already have with you when you arrive when you get to San Francisco.

Wendy
    wendy, cpst-i mom to
    piper, 7/26/02, 62", 108#, seatbelt, driving her own car
    laine 9/16/09, 54", 96#, Nuna Aaces, Diono Solana 2
    in my husband's 2018 Toyota Land Cruiser, my 2017 Volvo XC90, and big sister's 2016 Honda Civic
    https://www.car-seat.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1353&dateline=1552329  785

Unregistered

Hi! Thank you for your response. We had planned on taking the airport shuttle to our hotel, it's one block away. From what I understand you can't put a car seat in those. Is that correct? The rental car company is picking me up at the hotel to get my car. There will be 4 other adults traveling with me. They are staying at the hotel while I get the car and car seats (if we don't already have them). I will look into the Maestro, I had not heard of that one. Thank you!

Carseat Crazy

I'd take a BubbleBum for the 5yo, if the child is able to sit safely in a booster, and second the idea of taking something like the Maestro for the 3yo.

Most hotels use vans as their airport shuttles, and very often there are shoulder belts available. So there's a good chance you could use both the BubbleBum and a carseat on the shuttle and install them while the driver is loading bags. If you call the hotel ahead of time, they should be able to tell you what the seatbelt situation is on their shuttle. If it's really only a block, walking may be an option too. It could actually be easier and quicker to walk than to wait for the shuttle.

I'd generally avoid planning to buy a carseat at your destination. You have no guarantees as to what'll be available and it could be a major hassle, especially when you have a child who's old enough and big enough that many of the most widely available seats may not be a good fit. If you pick up a seat beforehand, you'll have time to familiarize yourself with it first and you can use it on the plane.

Carseat Crazy

Your 3yr old is already too tall for the CARES harness as it only allows up to 40".