Britax Frontier Booster Mode Question

U

Unregistered

Hi all,

I recently switched my 7yo's Frontier to booster mode. He is 70lbs and 49/50". It can't latch in my car and after I convinced myself that it was ok, I started letting him ride in it. I discovered that b/c the shoulder part of the belt threads through the red plastic part on the headrest (I forget what it's called), any slack in the belt does not automatically retract like it normally would. The angle of the red plastic prevents that. I have to manually remove the slack, which is fine but I'm worried about him creating slack while I drive. He's actually really good about sitting properly but I'm running a scenario through my head where he bends over to pick something up and the slack doesn't retract and we get in a car crash. It has me anxious.

I am suppose to switch our other Frontier for him today. He threw up last night and I was looking forward to being able to remove the harness since that's the hardest part to clean and I just remembered my concern and just read about a 6yo dying in a car crash and I'm back to freaking out again. This car's angle may be better. I'm hoping the belt will automatically retract and I'll sleep better but my car is the car that takes him to and from school each day.

Does anyone have any advice on the belt? Our CHP does seat checks but it usually takes a month to get in. Do I need to get him a different seat? We've had these for so long I'm not even sure what other high back boosters are out. The car in question is a 2003 Acura TL. Thanks so much!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
If the belt doesn't retract properly then I'd definitely look into another booster, or another position in the car.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC