Please check my install - RF RA in Corolla

ecj98

I am trying to install our Roundabout rearfacing outboard in our 2003 Toyota Corolla. This is for DD who will be 4 months next week, to replace the rear adjust snugride that I hate. I am installing with the seatbelt as it is a pre-LATCH Roundabout (manufactured 6/02, so it expires in June).

Some questions
1) It installs SO upright until I tighten the tether and recline it. Is that the correct way to get it more reclined? Does it look reclined enough?
2) I can get it rock solid FF, but only an accepable 1/4-1/2 inch or so RF. Any suggestions? I could switch DS's MA which does have latch and use that for DD and put DS back in the RA. It just seemed strange to me to have the bigger child in the smaller seat.
3) Does the placement of the D-ring look okay?
4) I know there are varying opinions on the straps being above the shoulders. How does the harness strap height look on DD?

Thanks for your help!

100_06591.jpg

100_06631.jpg

100_06621.jpg

100_06601.jpg

100_06651.jpg

ADS

crunchierthanthou

It doesn't have to be a full 45 degrees, but it looks awfully upright to me- especially for a 4 month old. It is fine to use the tether to adjust the recline. In fact, Britax suggested that until recently. They've since changed their recommendation to using pool noodles or a rolled towel to adjust the recline instead, but I think that was in response to the new energy absorbing tether and the fact that some recline mechanisms were breaking from over tightening the tether.

I can't see where it is tethered, but it is fine as long as the d-ring is wrapped around a non-movable part that is anchored to the frame of the vehicle.

It is fine that the harness is still a little above her shoulders. The "at or below the shoulders for rf" rule is over-simplifying. It should be more like "use the lowest slots until even with the second slots, then at or below..." You want to make sure to get it as tight as you can. You should not be able to pinch a horizontal fold over her shoulders and there's quite a bit of slack over her thighs.

Is the buckle pushing against the belt path on the other side? Is something stopping it from getting any tighter? Do your shoulder belts lock, or do you have locking latchplates?

I think it's a good idea to put her in the MA if you can't get a recline angle or installation that you're happy with and your older child still fits in the RA.

arly1983

Do you have locking belts? (I noticed you were using the built in lock-off)

I can get a tighter installation by locking the belt and rocking the carseat with my knee pressing in it.

Tightly rolling up a towel and seeing if it helps with the recline wouldn't be a bad idea.

ecj98

Yes, I have locking shoulderbelts. No, the buckle is not in the beltpath. I was attempting to use the locking clips instead of the locking seatbelt to keep the seat from tilting. Perhaps I will try again with the seatbelt.

Thanks for checking the recline Southpaw. I was under the impression that I could not use a towel or a noodle with a Britax seat. I'm glad to know that I can because I obviously cannot get it reclined enough without using something.

The harness was tight at her shoulders, but I will pull up some of the slack around her thighs.

Any other ideas? I'll work on it again tomorrow when DH gets home (this seat is in his car, not the main car the kids are in daily). Thanks for your help!

cpsaddict

I have an RA with the old style base and even when reclined, which I can tell yours is, it is very upright. It's the style of the base. I had to use two pool noodles and tighten the tether to get it even close to 45 degress. A tightly rolled up towel would work. Either one should do the trick. I would install mine really well with the noodles, until it did not move side to side. Then I attached the tether and tightened it until it just pulled the seat down a bit. A Corolla also has fairly sloped seats, which really necesitates the noodle or towel. I had 2001 and mine were really sloped.

HTH!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC