Good second/back up seat for a 40lb/42 inch 3.5 year old....

MeganMichelle

After going rounds, I ended up getting a different car just so I could keep my son in a harnessed seat (Regent). He's all torso for height...

He is almost always in my car, but a freak incident last week where we needed a second seat but didn't have one has prompted me to look into it.

He might never ride in it, it would never be regular.... it's for the random may never happen type of incident. Mainly to ease my mind... I don't have the budget for a second Regent....

The Apex doesn't fit the car (no headrests), and when I tried it in the past, the Radian didn't either.

He fits into a booster. I think, knowing that he will rarely be in it, I'd be okay buying one.... go with a basic Graco Turbo or would it be better to go with a Britax Parkway.... or would the Fisher Price booster be okay?

Would love suggestions or input. :)

ADS

crunchierthanthou

That's a tough call. I would have a hard time putting a 3.5 yo in a booster at all. It's more about maturity and sitting properly than fitting in a booster. What kind of car is it?

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
As long as there is support behind his head, it doesn't have to be a headrest, I'd put him in the Apex. The car's seat back, the headrest, something has to support him to the tip of his ears. Hopefully by the time an actual headrest would be needed he would be ok in a Turbo or Parkway, but until then the Apex, especially on sale, is the most economical HWH seat there is.

Wendy

MeganMichelle

It's a 99 Grand Prix- I have childless time tomorrow and might nab DH's car and see if the BRU will let me try it out again. Of course, bringing him would be better because I want to see how he fits in it... so maybe it will be a family trip with both cars.

FWIW, He outgrew the Marathon height wise. In the top strap position he was right there, if not a smidge above. He is seriously all torso, a size 5/6 shirt to cover his middle. I want to say I ruled out the Apex (beyond thinking it wasn't an option because of the headrest issue) because I thought it had the same harness heights? I've heard some have taller ones but haven't actually seen them......

He literally may not ride in the seat.... never, ever with any regularity. Just for emergencies.

KarinSDCA

I just want to say to make sure you raise the headrest on the Apex to uncover the TOP harness slots. There are four sets! :) I had to call a friend from BRU the other day because I couldn't figure out what all the hype over the Apex was for my tall, slender DD when she had already outgrown the top slots. LOL Turns out she does have room to grow in the Apex, so I ordered it online for $85 shipped.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
I'd sit him in the Apex in the car, sometimes kids get more room in the Apex than the Marathon, but I doubt it'd be a whole lot.

Wendy

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC