2013 Town & Country opinions?

Michi

Our 2004 Chevy Venture is rusting badly and we need to replace it.
We went to test drive a 2013 Town and Country van today. It was really nice, and we were on the verge of saying 'yes', but I am hesitant as I have not heard very good things about the reliability of Chrysler vans. Still - this van had everything we were looking for at about $10K less than a Honda or Toyota.
We told the sales guy we needed a few days to research, and go over our budget.

I have 2 kids in boosters still, but no installed carseats, so that isn't an issue.

I really do need something safe, comfortable, affordable, and dependable, as this will be our family's primary vehicle, and we tend to 'drive them until they die.'

So....any opinions yea or nay?

Last edited:
ADS

CarSafetyGuy

I'm not sure how much a 2013 T/C costs, but a 2014 seems to MSRP at 30.7k, and I'm pretty sure you could get a current gen (e.g., 2011+) Odyssey or Sienna for that price with maybe 30k or fewer miles on it, and those are vehicles you can drive to 200k or more easily. In the long run, I'd rather have a slightly used Honda/Toyota than a brand new Chrysler, if I had to choose.

Michi

The one we were looking at was around $24K. (It had around 20,000 miles on it) but it was fully loaded. We did look at a comparable Honda on the same lot, but that was $33K.

canadiangie

The 3rd row shoulder belts are set very far forward, which means belt fit with boosters, and belt fit on older kids who are out of boosters is hit and miss at best.

I'm 5'3" and the shoulder belt back there is off the edge of my shoulder.

You really need to think long term and see if any of your kids have good belt fit now, and for down the road. Looking at your siggie I'm not sure who I would opt to put back there. Maybe the big kids, but what if the shoulder belts are falling off the edge of their shoulders? Maybe the booster kids, but then you delve into the whole 'booster seat in 3rd row of grand caravan' thing, which tends to mean you need very specific boosters in the mix.

Personally, I would pass. I just wouldn't be able to tolerate dealing with those 3rd row belts, and four older kids who clearly need their shoulder belt to stay on.

armywife12

We just ditched our 2013 town and country for an odyssey after dealing with the third row being unfriendly with car seats and boosters. #3 is on their way and I was stressing big time on what our arrangement was going to be since I loathe the third row. With only 2 kids it's fine but not so much with more, in my opinion anyways. I'd go with a slightly older odyssey and they last much longer over time

cookie123

DD's booster riders have to ride in the captains chairs. The rf baby and ff 6 year old harnessed in the rear. Only the one top tether back there. And latch is off set toward the center on the driver's side. It's no good back there for a backless booster or no booster. It works with a couple of high back boosters - retracting of the shoulder harness is a problem in most.

tl01

What bells and whistles are important to you? Maybe we can find a twin model in an odyssey that might work for you.

Michi

What bells and whistles are important to you? Maybe we can find a twin model in an odyssey that might work for you.

The features I really liked on the Chrysler we saw were: power doors/windows/liftgate, heated leather seats, auto dimming rear-view mirror, a back-up camera/display, multiple USB ports, a DVD/entertainment system, wireless Bluetooth phone connectivity, and a roof rack. One of the models also had a remote starter.

I am willing to give up much of that for better safety and reliability though. ;)

We'd like to keep it under $25K and we live in northeastern WI. (If that helps) :)

Last edited:

tl01

The features I really liked on the Chrysler we saw were: power doors/windows/liftgate, heated leather seats, auto dimming rear-view mirror, a back-up camera/display, multiple USB ports, a DVD/entertainment system, wireless Bluetooth phone connectivity, and a roof rack. One of the models also had a remote starter.

I am willing to give up much of that for better safety and reliability though. ;)

We'd like to keep it under $25K and we live in northeastern WI. (If that helps) :)

So look for an Odyssey EX-L with RES (rear entertainment). That one won't have navigation but I believe it should have everything else. It doesn't come with a roof rack... it's an add on... The remote start is also an add on... It doesn't come standard on any of the Odys. I'm pretty sure it will have everything else. Well... multiple USB ports.. maybe not... maybe just one...

MommyShannon

I wouldn't rule out a 2010 Ody or Sienna either with lower miles. I think you could get all or most of your list in those too. The 2010 Ody set up is nice since you can remove the 8th seat and slide a seat over to creat a side or center aisle. That's not a huge deal with bigger kids though since flipping a seat is fine without car seats installed.

jjordan

Try an autotrader search with your zip code. You can input body style, mileage, price, as well as other features (eg leather seats, etc). Within 100 miles of me, I'm really just turning up T&C's in your price range with your desired features, that are 2010 or newer. But maybe you'll have better luck in your area!

Michi

We went and test drove a second T&C tonight, and took the younger kids along (we only had the 16 yr old the first time.) YOu were right - the 3rd row seatbelts were horrible. We tried them w/o a booster for my oldest, and with a backless booster for my middle DD and all of them were WAY off the shoulder. They were okay with the Britax Frontier, used as a belt positioner, but she'll probably only use that for a couple more years and then we're in the same position as the older kids.

So - we'll keep looking. I'm willing to give up most of the fancy stuff. Mostly, I was really hoping for the DVD system, as my middle DD has autism and it's definitely to everyone's benefit to keep her entertained ;) ) but I know we could probably get a portable DVD player for her that would do the same thing - for a lot cheaper.

I was also extremely disappointed in the lack of padding in the seats. They felt so cheap. Do the imports have cushier seats?

vtbecca

We went and test drove a second T&C tonight, and took the younger kids along (we only had the 16 yr old the first time.) YOu were right - the 3rd row seatbelts were horrible. We tried them w/o a booster for my oldest, and with a backless booster for my middle DD and all of them were WAY off the shoulder. They were okay with the Britax Frontier, used as a belt positioner, but she'll probably only use that for a couple more years and then we're in the same position as the older kids.

So - we'll keep looking. I'm willing to give up most of the fancy stuff. Mostly, I was really hoping for the DVD system, as my middle DD has autism and it's definitely to everyone's benefit to keep her entertained ;) ) but I know we could probably get a portable DVD player for her that would do the same thing - for a lot cheaper.

I was also extremely disappointed in the lack of padding in the seats. They felt so cheap. Do the imports have cushier seats?

We have a 2006 Sienna that is really comfortable. We used to have 2002 dodge that started having lots of big issues in the 70,000 mile range. It was also almost impossible to fit 3 across in the back, or even an adult with 2 car seats. It was just too narrow. We traded it in and took a loss to get a Sienna. That was in 2008, we bought a 2006. That van currently has 104,000 ish with no issues. It is much more comfortable, and it is easy to fit an adult (even with wide hips) in between 2 seats or boosters in the back row.

When we went to Disney World in 2010 we rented a Caravan. I think that is pretty much the same model that is out now. The seatbelt issue was absolutely awful, even just for that week. We had backless boosters for my boys and I did not feel safe having them back there. The seats were also extremely uncomfortable- just very hard and thin.

I think you will be able to find an Odyssey or Sienna with most of the features you want in that price range. Have fun shopping!

Becca

tl01

I didn't use your zip... but searched at any distance in the US on auto trader and I found some 2011 odysseys that are EX-L with RES that are very close to your price range. You could likely negotiate them into your range. I would totally do a 2011 odd over a T&C. I think in general that Odyssey will likely be more reliable and much friendlier for passengers. Good luck!!

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Thanks everyone for your help and replies.
I think we'll be looking for a slightly older Oddy or Sienna now.

Definitely consider renting a T&C or Grand Caravan for at least a few days before you buy one. We had a new one for a recent road trip and honestly, they still don't make me miss my 2001 Odyssey, let alone a newer Odyssey or Sienna. Still a nice vehicle with good safety, and Stow 'n' Go is handy too, but overall I think the Honda and Toyota are nicer products in my opinion.

One benefit is that the Dodge GC American Value models are absolute bargains for a 3-row vehicle if you don't need the bells and whistles. It's no frills, but brand new, under $19K street price after incentives. You can't touch a recent model year used Sienna or Odyssey for that price!

MommyShannon

If we were looking at Hondas would you recommend a 2010 or a 2011?
I would go try both. They are very different inside. I have an '06 so similar to the '10 and didn't have any idea I was in an Ody when I road with someone who had a '12. The front dash/console looks a lot different. I like that you can slide a seat over in the older models. The big 8th seat in the 2011+ is really nice if you want to put 3 people in the 2nd row. The only difference in top tethers is that the 2010 won't have one for the 8th seat. For lower anchors, the 2010 has 3 sets (captains chairs and offset/center 3rd row). The 2011 has them everywhere except the 3rd row center, I believe. I don't care about lower anchors that much for car seats, but I wish I had them in those outboard seats, 3rd row for boosters.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC