New convertible seat

My 3mo DD is growing quite rapidly (13-ish lbs and 27in at 3mo... up from 19 3/4in at birth!) and we're looking for a new convertible.
She's currently in the Snugli infant bucket seat (Embrace 35 rebranded) in my 2003 Civic, and in a TrueFit Premier in my husband's F-150 (crew/king cab - whatever the heck they call it). We don't need the seat right away, obviously, but I'm a bit leery about getting the TF to fit in my Civic. DH is 6'3" and I'm 5'7", so space front-to-back is also a big thing.
Other random information:
- DD is growing mostly in her torso, so far. She was too tall for the infant inserts in either of her seats almost right away.
- We travel at least once or twice a year by plane, so something more travel-friendly than the TF would be great
- Something available from BRU would be great (We have gift cards), but not a total necessity
- Budget is not an issue.
- I really do not like Dorel seats. At all.
- We are planning on having more kids, but will get a vehicle with 3rd-row before 3-across becomes an issue.

The seats I have my eye on are: The new Rainier (if DD grows like DH and I did... we'll need the extra limits to keep her RF!), the Peg convertible, or the MyRide - even though it's a beast, I kind of have a weird love for it. I love the colours on the new G4's, so I'm pretending that they can be on my list even though they're out of the question :(
Are there any seats I've missed that would work for us? I'm pretty new to the CRST world, and have little to no experience with seats that aren't the AOE or an infant seat.

ADS

1mommy

I love my true fit premier, but it is fairly upright as my son is 2 and had full head control, it might not fit so well since your daughter would still need the full recline and I understand not wanting to drag it on a plane. The Chicco Nextfit and Graco Headwise/My Size/Size 4 me are often recommended for tight spaces as well, so you should check out those seats. The Guide 65 is often recommended for tight spaces and as a travel seat, but I found due to the recline it's not that compact as you would think (and it can be a pain to install) I think the Chicco Nextfit is heavier then the Graco Seat (please note that different stores call the same seat by different names which is why it has so many names)

Another question for you is how long do you want to rear-face your daughter? If you only want to make it to 2 we would recommend a different seat then if you wanted to rear-face until 4. Here is a good comparison for you to start narrowing down some good seats for fitting in tight spaces.

http://carseatblog.com/22818/the-ul...ertible-space-comparison-review-size-matters/

1mommy

Opps! Just realized you are in Canada so neither the Chicco seat or Graco seat is legal for you. Sorry. You can still check out the Guide 65 (oh and I forgot to mention that its a Dorel seat....)

featherhead

I love the MyRide, but I find with the newer inserts it just doesn't work well for infants. There is a huge space between baby and the crotch buckle, though cloth diapers would help. Of course you are welcome to come try my Peg :)

biddyk8

We have the peg and we absolutely love everything about it. Its got a nice smooth harness, it fits small babies well but it can be an awkward fit at that 18-22lb fit where they are kind of between needing inserts and not really needing them. Its compact enough front to back. But it is still heavy enough, we use a tribute when we fly instead of dragging the peg around, but we always have a few connections, I think if it was a straight flight I would probably bring it.

The rainer and pacifica are on my list to check out when they are released I really like the look of them. They will be out in the next month or 2 apparently

Another question for you is how long do you want to rear-face your daughter? If you only want to make it to 2 we would recommend a different seat then if you wanted to rear-face until 4.

I'm hoping to keep her RF as close to age 4 as possible. We shall see how that goes with her height though.
I'm not a huge fan of the Guide 65... especially since it has a standing height limit of 36". Blerg.

MommyShannon

You can also consider the SureRide just as a travel seat and get whatever for your main seat. It goes to 40" RF, so it won't get her to 4 RF. It is crazy tall FF though so it'd easily get her to 3 RF and then likely 6 or more FF so a great long term travel solution.

Keeks64

Keep in mind the head rest can be removed until 22lbs & by that point you could then have a more upright install with the TF :)

Keep in mind the head rest can be removed until 22lbs & by that point you could then have a more upright install with the TF :)
Unfortunately she's about 3 inches below the "headrest required" line. So if she keeps up at her normal pace, that gives us a month or two haha.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC