Door doesn't shut with 3 across

MommyofBoogieBear

I finally tried to put our old infant seat in our Montero sport with the MA and Radian already installed. The seat is what seems to be like a Graco Snugride with the base (this was from DS....four years ago...so I don't know what true model it is). What we would like to get for #3 (once we get pregnant of course!) is a SS1. However, I just tried the three across....and the door does not like to shut. When I SLAM it....it shuts. Does that compromise the safety or integrity of the seat? ALso...do you know if the SS1 would be any wider than a snugride??? I am trying to see if we are going to need to buy another car when number three comes. (we saw a suburban for sale at a really good price....and we need to start thinking....).

thanks!

ADS

musicmaj

Did you try it with the radian in the center and outboard? What about with the ma in the center? Sometimes you can change the order they are in in the back seat and get them to fit better. You could also try the radian rfing for Bear and the Ma forward for Boogie and see if that works better.

MommyofBoogieBear

actually...that didn't cross my mind! however, I have the radian FF in the center in the montero and the MA outboard. I was told to put the least protected (FF) in the center...and so i just thought to put the two RF outboard. I didn't move them around...b/c the open (as of now) outboard seat is a little cooky getting the MA installed. also...now that we have both seats rock solid...i wouldn't want to move them ...for some reason it is quite the effort for us! But thanks for the thoughts. it didn't even cross my mind. However...having the infant carseat in the center might be "fun" getting them all in! Also, by the time number three comes along...the MA might be FF by then (bear is now around 24 pounds...and almost two...so maybe in a year?). thanks for your help!

incidentally...our other car is a '97 Accord. I haven't even ventured in that direction yet!

the carseats we would like to have there:
MA
Radian
SS1

However...the SS1 is the one we don't have yet. Maybe we would need to do a Radian RF? They just seem so big for a new infant. Or a MA???? but somehow that seems even bigger than what a SS1 would be. am i right?

Starlight

Senior Community Member
If you have to slam the door, and it hits the seat. Then yes, it would compromise the seat.

You shouldn't hit your carseats.

MommyofBoogieBear

You shouldn't hit your carseats.[/QUOTE]

:D i do try to avoid hitting them! only when i get really angry at them do i actually hit the seat!! :p just kidding! that just sounded funny! but i know what you meant! :)

i am a bit concerned...that even IF i can squeeze them in now ...what will happen when i have the MA FF? .....

Melizerd

Eventually you may have to consider replacing your Marathon with something else to continue to fit 3 across.

Personally while having the FFing child in the center is optimal if you can't fit three across that way then you have to put a FFing child on the outboard to get a better fit that's more important IMO.

You might also be okay if you got another Radian for the infant after a couple of months instead of replacing the MA.

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
The Radian and the Marathon don't puzzle that well when one is RFing and one is FFing.

It looks like your youngest is 20 months already... by the time the baby comes, will this one be FFing? The reason I ask is that a MA and Radian puzzle extremely well when facing the same direction. The Radian slides right under the MA's shell and gains you a few extra inches.

You should easily be able to do a FFing MA, FF Radian and the SS1 on the remaining outboard position.

MommyofBoogieBear

oh wow! that is VERY encouraging. we actually test drove a car (suburban) this morning...but it's not right for our family. so...we will take out the seat...try the MA FF (b/c you are right...by the time the baby come she will be FF)...and see if an inch or so is given.

i will also consider a radian for the infant...after a few months. i don't ever really use the infant seat as a carrier anyway....so that would be ok I suppose...and then only one purchase.

thanks again for your help guys...this is a BIG deal to me....b/c changing vehicles would be HUGE! I will play around with the seats....and I'll give you an update! thanks again! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC