2008 Nissan Altima-concerned about it's size.....

omelet1978

I currently drive a Toyota 4runner. I am thinking about getting a new 2008 Nissan Altima. The 4runner weighs about 4500 lbs and the Altima weights about 3350 lbs. My parents taught me to get a larger vehicle simply because if I got into a crash "I wanted to win"......They are mainly thinking about head on collisions or side impact collisions and they think worse case.

With that in mind do you guys think I would be safe driving a Nissan Altima. It has great crash tests, but at the same time it is a lighter vehicle. With all the improvements in safety do you guys think it would still get a "5 star" and "Good" ratings from the front and offset crash tests if it hit a larger vehicle? I thinking a head on collision against something big like a Dodge Ram.

I read an article at one point on msnbc.com saying that curb weight is not as important these days because once you get above 3000 pounds you have enough weight behind you that is doesn't really matter. Any truth to this?

Also, I am familiar with the rollover danger of my vehicle. However, I have been driving trucks and SUVs for the last 10 years, so at this point for me I would say that is not a factor for me.

ADS

TXDani

Senior Community Member
I would not be concerned in the least especially if the Altima has side curtain airbags and does well in crash tests. My husband drives an Infiniti G35 sedan which is about the same size as the Altima I think....I think the M45 is the same as the Maxima, you know since Nissan and Infiniti are the same company. Anyway he has stability control, side curtain airbags, and has one of the lowest percentages of death/per registered cars according ot that one website:confused::confused: haha I remember reading it but can't seem to find it. But there is a site that keeps track of those stats.
My point being...we bought a very similar car and our children ride in it and we choose to drive it over our bigger, heavier car sometimes and I do not worry about not "winning" should we ever get in an accident.

natysr

Also, I am familiar with the rollover danger of my vehicle. However, I have been driving trucks and SUVs for the last 10 years, so at this point for me I would say that is not a factor for me.

I'll admit that I am far from being an expert in crash ratings of cars etc.

But I wanted to point out that just because you don't have a fear of roll-overs, likely due to the fact that you have been driving trucks/suvs for a long time without it happening, does not mean that it is not still a risk. You are allowing your perception to trump reality.

I think you would be fine in the Altima.

And what a great site Lovinwaves linked. :thumbsup:

omelet1978

You might be right about complacency. I wrote that because I asked the question before and got a ton of answers about rolling over, but no answers about any other aspect of safety...........

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC