Is this installation allowed?

somesay

We have a Britax marathon installed RF in the middle of a Hyundai Sonata. We did not use the belt lock offs but instead used a metal locking clip and locked and tightened the shoulder belt via the auto locking retractor. The reason we didn't use the belt lock offs that are built into the seat is because when we got the belt tight enough (with a rolled towel underneath the seat for angle adjustment) there ended up being a little round plastic button on the belt right in the slot of one of the lock offs preventing it from closing. Nothing we did would change that. The manual said they don't need to be used if the seat belt had a lock on it. I am just checking as I can't get an appointment with a car seat tech prior to needing to use for holiday travel this week. Car seat installation is so stressful!

ADS

somesay

The car is a 2010 and there are no LATCH anchors for the middle seat. I saw another thread on here saying that a metal locking clip is not allowed to be used with a Britax. Is that true? Discovering that stupid plastic button in the lock off location was the most depressing thing ever!

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
You can just lock your belt instead. Pull it all the way out slowly and gently from the shoulder until it switches to locked mode.

You can also pop the button off with a butter knife or credit card.

Or use the other lockoff only.

The locking clip isn't needed.

Wendy

wavegal

Britax actually prohibits the use of a locking clip with its seats. I would do like the pp have said and use a different method, you already said you have locked the retractor. Where are you located maybe we can help you find a CPST?

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC