Safety diff with Roundabout v. Marathon?

T

tottc

The primary reason to upgrade from the Roundabout 55 to the Marathon 70 is the higher weight/height limit, correct? I see some minor differences in the HUGS chest strap system, etc. but am I correct they are built on the same frame and have essentially the same crash protection? I LOVED my old Roundabout from about 2007-08, but it was only a 40 lb weight limit and recently expired, so looking for a new seat for second child. Do people generally like the Roundabout 55? I don't like the buckle as much as my old one but want a safe, comfortable, simple seat. Thanks in advance!

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Hi there!

Like all seats on the market, both the Marathon and Roundabout pass the required tests. The shells of the seats are the same, though the movable headrest adds a little bit in forward facing height to the seat. Rear facing they're outgrown at the same time (1" of shell, not headrest, above the head, or 40 pounds), and forward facing by height there's a few months difference, but not a huge amount. The weight limit of 55 pounds may be enough to get most kids to the top harness height. The 70 pounds is definitely inflated. Most kids won't get near that in a Britax.

Wendy

jjordan

The primary reason to upgrade would be the no-rethread harness on the marathon, and secondarily because of the slightly higher harness height in the marathon. As Wendy said, most kids will not get past 55 pounds in a marathon.

Athena

We loved our RA55. Got it two years ago when they first came out. The downside was that once my DD outgrew it RFing, she'd almost outgrown it FFing too. However, because she's tall, we would have needed another taller FFing seat either way to get her to booster stage, so that was fine. We sold the RA55s and used the money towards new Frontiers. It worked out well for us.

P.S. Other than the FFing height difference, nothing else would have enticed me to buy the MA70. I found the harness easy to rethread, so the no-rethread type wasn't worth the extra money for me (although it is nice to have), and my DD would have outgrown the MA70 by height at around 40 pounds, so 70 is overkill for us.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC