if you have three kids...

JKC

Is it worth it to have an suv with a third row? I drive 30 miles to work so gas efficiency is a big deal and if I can fit 3 across in a car, I am trying to figure if I will regret not sacrificing mpg for space. If you have 3, and were replacing a car, what would you do? I have 2 kids now but am in the market for a new vehicle and a new family addition :)

ADS

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
Hello!

It is certainly possible to get three kids across many fuel-friendly vehicles, but you might find it more difficult as the kids age and they go into boosters.

Many people find having a fuel-friendly vehicle for commuting, and then a more family-friendly vehicle for hauling kids, to be what has worked well for their families, but that is certainly not the only way to be both fuel-and-family-friendly. :)

Could you tell us a little more about your situation?
  • How old are your current kids?
  • How big are your kids?
  • What is your budget for a vehicle?
  • Do you prefer domestic vehicles or foreign vehicles?
  • Are you willing to purchase new carseats?
  • Which carseats do you currently have?

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Another thing to consider is whether or not you ever plan to have extra children or adults in tow. Like friends after school, after sports practices, on the weekends, family from out of town, etc.. While children are young it is easy to avoid these situations, but once they are older having friends along tends to become more common.

How long to you expect to keep this vehicle?

I appreciated the ability to have more room when I needed it to haul stuff and the ability to spread the kids out or carry extra people when I didn't need to haul a bunch of stuff.

JKC

My husband and I both have the same travel time to work so we both appreciate fuel efficiency.

My oldest ds is 3.5 years, in a radian rf, 28lbs, 39 inches. My younger ds is rf in an evenflo triumph and a radian rf, 24lbs, 32 inches. Both will remain rf for as long as possible with the radians. I am guessing that by the time a baby would arrive that my oldest would be close to ff.

Is having the extra row really used often as kids grow and maybe you want to take friends or other family with you. Or does the cost not exceed the value of tbe extra space?

I am happy with either foreign or domestic car as long as it is safe and reliable. And I will purchase carseats if needed (I.e. if I go with a car, I will surely need another radian.)

I am not set on a budget yet but I wouldnt go more than low to mid 20's cause payments would just be too much. But I also dont want to buy another car for a long time. My husband has a newer sonata so we will have that for a long time too.

Baylor

I did not want a minivan. I protested for years. Now I would not live with out one. Even with two kids they each have their own row and it's great on trips and fuel.

We were going to get an SUV again but im so glad we got the van. We are going to get another in the next trade in.

auto correct hates me

T4K

Can you drive a manual transmission? We got a kick butt deal on a VW Passat TDI. It's a manual, though. The automatics were around 3-4K more.

It gets unreal gas mileage (we average 45mpg). The fuel costs are slightly more but it pays for itself very quickly. The resale also can't be beat.

JKC

Car wise i would go for one of those midsize sedans. But I am planning on having this car as long as it will last me. So i am wondering how often when my kids are in elementary school will I need to have extra seating from a third row. Just hard to know now. Or if as they grow will three be really squished in the backseat of a car. I thought it would start to feel like more room as the kids face forward...

Patriot201

Car-Seat.org Ambassador
It is hard to know for sure. :eek:

There are always parents who are not "driving" parents (meaning they do not drive friends of their children). There is no shame in that. Also, if you are driving one of your kids and a couple friends to soccer or scouts, for instance, you will likely not be bringing your other kids, so you'll have room.

It is nice to have the flexibility of a vehicle with more passenger room and/or cargo room in some cases, but it is certainly not a requirement.
  • When my sister's family goes to the holiday light show, and they are able to haul three additional people, it is fantastic because we pay by the car, not by the person. With each vehicle being something like $20, that is a nice perk.
  • Being able to all cram into one vehicle when we go apple-picking (which requires a $8 toll-road toll EACH DIRECTION), or to the community festivals (where parking is a NIGHTMARE) is another perk.
However, in most cases, two fuel-friendly vehicles are perfectly fine .

kathysr98

I only have one child, but I REALLY enjoy my seven passenger vehicle. I have a Ford Flex with 2-3-2 seating, so my dd is in the middle of the middle row and I keep two extra car seats in my third row for the extra kids I frequently drive. Being able to trade off driving kids allows my dd to participate in more activities and we enjoy putting out family and another together for trips and Christmas lights. Plus, I can take my mom, BFF, & BFF's baby somewhere with dd & I without rearranging.

cookie123

I had 3 kids and a sedan back in the day. I couldn't stand it. We traded it in before baby was 1 for a minivan and never looked back. It was the best thing we ever did (or one of them). I was sad when I decided I didn't need one anymore.

MommyShannon

I put off getting a minivan too but LOVE it now! We got it when we had #3. I much prefer it over a SUV. The storage space and sliding doors are so convenient. DH loves it too and it gets better mileage than most SUVs. We have a 2006 Ody. The flexibility of where to put the kids or grandparents or friends is so nice.

trippsmom

CPST Instructor
Add me to the list of people who regret holding off on the minivan. I had a 7 passenger explorer. I regularly had 5 children (3 of my own and 2 nanny boys). I just got an 8passenger odyssey. I leave it set up in the tradition minivan mode with 2 captains chairs, so I didn't really gain a seating position unless I put the 8th seat back in it. The cargo area is to.die.for. in relation to that of SUV's. Even in an XL Tahoe or Expedition, the cargo area is just from the bottom of the bottom seat of the back row to the ceiling. In my van it is from well below the floor of the cabin to the ceiling. I can put our molded plastic radio flyer in the well and still have more space above it. I can haul 7 empty car seats and still have 5 children in restraints in the van.

Lemonade

I have a minivan. It ain't sexy. It's isn't "fun" to drive. But it's absolutely utterly perfect an convenient. And I *only* have two kids. I would get a 3 row vehicle just to keep them away from each other. No matter how well your kids are behaved, they often can't resist the chance to kick, pinch, etc each other when they are within' touching distance.

We bought our Sienna when DS was 13m and we weren't entirely sure if we were going to stop after 2. I plan to have one and only one minivan. I'll keep this until it's around 10. By that time we'll be down to boosters and will not have any pack n plays or strollers or whatever else when we travel! DS has a smaller car. We often take his when we will be in the city with tight parking or whatever. One big, one little has worked for us.

Mommyto3Gs

I dreaded getting a minivan but once I was pg with my 3rd I "had" to get one. Just easiest for me with 3 in harnessed car seats. My husband just traded in my old hand me down station wagon (again never thought I'd drive one of those either but did!) for a 3 row SUV. He was never able to drive my youngest if he took his car as the wagon had my 2 boys FR85's installed. My daughter's seat isn't permanently installed but he now has the ability to take all 3 kids in his car without "having" to take the minivan. It also gives us more flexibility to take others with us too. GL!

Nimommyof2

I personally would prefer to have one vehicle able to carry extra passengers but have a large extended family so we use the space. If the other spouse has a car you may want something that can haul friends etc... for when kids are older or even just for the space between the kids. Not sure I thought vans were fairly fuel efficient but I haven't done any real research on it.

wavegal

One thing to consider is something like the cr-v with 3rd row where your getting fairly good gas mileage and you get a 3rd row option as well.

aept

We have a minivan and a Prius. We can fit all three kids in the back of the Prius, but it's a pain to buckle the older ones into their boosters, and it can be a pain to keep them happy and not fighting in such close quarters. We find ourselves taking the minivan most of the time. In the van, there is less fighting, built-in entertainment, and the older 2 kids can buckle themselves independently. The Prius is used mostly as a commuter car or if just one parent and one child are going somewhere while the other parent/kids stay home.

ETA: just wanted to mention we (especially DH) are generally quite energy conscious and he is obsessive about getting good gas mileage and stuff. He even rides his bicycle to work (15 miles each way) partially because he gets a kick out of saving gas (vs driving the Prius!)
So for us to choose driving the van while the Prius sits at home, that goes to show how much more convenient it usually is to load kids into and out of a minivan vs a small, fuel efficient sedan.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC