I took a car seat test and failed.

2BunniesMommy

I am at work and we are pretty slow today so I decided to do some continuing education units.

I saw one of the options was "Car Seat Safety For Infants: Parent Teaching" and thought that would be easy.

I am pretty sure the ones I got wrong, they have wrong.

Here are the questions I missed:

1. Which of the following statements about infant car seat safety is incorrect?

a.An infant riding in a forward-facing restraint is more likely to be injured in crash than one riding in a rear-facing restraint

b.Proper use of age- and size-appropriate car seats can reduce death in passenger cars by 71% for infants

c.Nearly half of auto injuries and deaths in children occur because they are improperly restrained

d.Motor vehicle injury is the second leading cause of accidental deaths among United States children, and many of these deaths are preventable

2. Parents should be taught that the Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH) system

a.was developed to ease installation
b.can be used in all cars made since 2000
c.is available on many new child restraint systems
d.all of the above

3. If a preterm infant fails the “car seat challenge,” the parents may expect any of the following except which one?

a.A delayed discharge
b.Consultation with a certified car seat technician
c.Use of a recumbent car bed for transport
d.Repositioning of the car seat to an angle > 45 degrees

4. Parents should be taught that car safety seat misuse is most commonly attributed to

a.loose harness straps
b.loose vehicle seat belt attachments around the child restraint system
c.improper selection of car safety seats
d.use of damaged car safety seats
e.a) and b)
f.all of the above

I'd like to see how others would answer these questions and then I will share my answers and the test's answers and why I think they are wrong.

ADS

mommyfrog

1.d-it's actually the number one cause
2.d?
3.d-reclining the seat more than 45 degrees wouldn't be safe
4.f

2BunniesMommy

I am at work and we are pretty slow today so I decided to do some continuing education units.

I saw one of the options was "Car Seat Safety For Infants: Parent Teaching" and thought that would be easy.

I am pretty sure the ones I got wrong, they have wrong.

Here are the questions I missed:

1. Which of the following statements about infant car seat safety is incorrect?

a.An infant riding in a forward-facing restraint is more likely to be injured in crash than one riding in a rear-facing restraint

b.Proper use of age- and size-appropriate car seats can reduce death in passenger cars by 71% for infants

c.Nearly half of auto injuries and deaths in children occur because they are improperly restrained

d.Motor vehicle injury is the second leading cause of accidental deaths among United States children, and many of these deaths are preventable

2. Parents should be taught that the Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren (LATCH) system

a.was developed to ease installation
b.can be used in all cars made since 2000
c.is available on many new child restraint systems
d.all of the above

3. If a preterm infant fails the “car seat challenge,” the parents may expect any of the following except which one?

a.A delayed discharge
b.Consultation with a certified car seat technician
c.Use of a recumbent car bed for transport
d.Repositioning of the car seat to an angle > 45 degrees

4. Parents should be taught that car safety seat misuse is most commonly attributed to

a.loose harness straps
b.loose vehicle seat belt attachments around the child restraint system
c.improper selection of car safety seats
d.use of damaged car safety seats
e.a) and b)
f.all of the above

I'd like to see how others would answer these questions and then I will share my answers and the test's answers and why I think they are wrong.

I am writing in red because I am embarassed that I misread some questions, which I just realized.

1. Yes, it is d. I misread that they were looking for the one that is incorrect because I know it is the #1 cause.

2. Their answer is d. I am sticking with thinking they are wrong on that because Top Tethers were required by that point, but LATCH was more like 2002 or 2003.

3. I also misread this one and didn't see "except" so thought they were crazy when >45 degrees was the answer because I read it as they were saying that was what to do.

4. I answered all of the above and I still feel that is the right answer. Their answer is e. a&b

Last edited:

kam1011

I would have said

D
D
I don't know (after seeing the answers, duh, lol, but I couldn't figure it out at the time!)
E

The last one can't be "all of the above" because the problem with carseats isn't people's ability to pick one out.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I would have said

D
D
I don't know (after seeing the answers, duh, lol, but I couldn't figure it out at the time!)
E

The last one can't be "all of the above" because the problem with carseats isn't people's ability to pick one out.
People select incorrect restraints- ff only for a 9 month old, backless booster for a 2 year old- all the time.

3 and 4 I'd say their answers are wrong.

cantabdad

I'm always wary if multiple-choice assessments, but that quiz was especially poorly designed if the goal was to measure carseat knowledge, as opposed to test-taking tricks. There also seem to be some factual problems.

LATCH was mandated 9/1/2012, so the "2000" answer is not correct. Even if the date were fixed, some vehicles were exempt (e.g. top tethers not required in convertibles).

Selecting the wrong restraint system for the age and weight if the child is a common form of misuse. I'm not sure how one could say that it is not. Now, if you want just *the* absolute #1 form of misuse, then according to one study it's actually using the wrong harness slots.

http://injury.research.chop.edu/blog/posts/snapshot-child-restraint-misuse#.UkjBDWS9Kc0

Of course, different studies will find different results, whdh is a subtlety that the test doesn't seem to acknowledge.

Thanks for posting. I found this interesting.

4boysmom

Parents should be taught that car safety seat misuse is most commonly attributed to

I think it is true that the top 2 biggest issues are seats that are not tight enough in cars and straps that are not tight enough on kids. Certainly the other stuff happens but that "80% incorrect" are made up of these two issues. Even parents who are mostly doing it right have the chest clip as a belly clip or loose or do not put the seat in tightly/use a mighty tite/have incompatible install loations but don't realize it.

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
Was there an article or PowerPoint that accompanied the quiz? One that was supposed to be read before hand and would have contained the answers they wanted?

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The last study Safe Kids did on ”top misuses” listed five, and improper seat selection did make the list. ”Most, often” can vary in meaning...

Keeanh

#2 irritates me, but I guess they're right. I'll concede that LATCH was supposed to ease installation. I don't know whose stupid idea that was :rolleyes:. I can think of some waaayyyy better things they could have done.

#4 I think depends if this course is ONLY for infants. If this is a long-range car seat info thing for parents (like, it's supposed to help beyond the current infant stage), then it's wrong for sure. I see wrong seats as often as I see loose seats, especially if you count boosters. But if it's ONLY for infants, then I'll agree with the test that most people select an infant seat for infants, which would be a correct selection.

Of course, if we consider straps above the shoulders to be a "wrong seat", then maybe you're right. There are a lot of SR22s & Designer22s out there LOL.

2BunniesMommy

Was there an article or PowerPoint that accompanied the quiz? One that was supposed to be read before hand and would have contained the answers they wanted?

Yes, there was an article and I do admit to not reading it. I am betting it had all of their answers in it, which means they are still wrong about LATCH being in all cars since 2000.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
1- B, guessing because 71% doesn't seem familiar

It should be very familiar ;) "Child safety seats reduce the risk of death in passenger cars by 71% for infants, and by 54% for toddlers ages 1 to 4 years."

http://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/child_passenger_safety/cps-factsheet.html (This number has been out for literally ages, I've had well over a decade to memorize it, I'm just teasing you about not having random trivia that we barely ever mention anymore front and center in your brain :))

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC