Big/Wide Infant -- RF Seat Dilemma

Cocono

SO. Baby #2 is a big boy. He's over 20lbs and 28" at 6.5 months. He's got his father's football player build with ridiculously broad shoulders.. he's pretty stocky.

We have been playing musical carseats with him. Recently downsized from 2 to 1 car so we had extra on hand. We moved him out of his KeyFit30 at 3 months and into our Coccoro (DD's travel seat). We moved him out of that at 5 months because he was too wide and into DD's old Britax Boulevard. Right now he's in the Britax but is really uncomfortable in it. He looks like a sardine.

DD is 3.5 and FF in a Radian RXT (37" and 27lbs)
DS is 6.5mo RF in Britax Boulevard 28" and 22lbs

We have a radian r100 we were hanging on for when DS could FF down the road. Just bought one of those new subaru XT's (like an impreza) so the radian RF is kind of rough since DS isn't sitting well enough for an angle adjuster.

Any suggestions on a seat to try for a stocky little guy? Or is the radian going to be our best bet since it isn't a cocoon like the britax? Foonf is WAY too pricey for us.

ADS

featherhead

I would try an Evenflo Triumph65. It's a big bowl of a seat, and should give him a lot more room. I would keep the Radian for when he can be more upright. The Radian will last longer rear-facing than the Triumph.

Kel

I would try and get by another month or so. He'll be sitting up better before you know it. I love the radian for wide shouldered kids. It's 14" wide internally if I'm remembering right. So nice and roomy!

MotoMommaNH

I would try and get by another month or so. He'll be sitting up better before you know it. I love the radian for wide shouldered kids. It's 14" wide internally if I'm remembering right. So nice and roomy!

I second that. 6.5 months is so close to sitting independently. Unless you need another seat for another car, I'd make it work for now.

mom2ari

I would probably try to make it work too, since he is probably close to being able to use the radian. However, having a cranky baby in a carseat is no fun. I just wanted to point out that the Truefit is also very roomy. It only goes to 35lbs RFing, which may or may not be enough for you, but you already have a radian and could switch him to that if he is too young when hitting 35lbs. Do you know anyone you would feel comfortable trading seats with for a while that has a TF?

disbugsmomma

I have no input on seats right now, but I just wanted to say that your son is bigger than my 17 month old. I'll bet he has all sorts of adorable chub!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC