Question a portable carseat?

U

Unregistered

Hi! I'm one of those city-dwellers who doesn't own a car, but we do get rides from time to time (1-2x/week MAX, usually much less) and obviously we must own a carseat for DS. He just turned one and is about to outgrow his carseat (a Baby Trend).

Our issue is that fairly often we must walk and take public transportation to get to our ride, or we go someplace on public transportation, but need to get a ride home or ride in a car from there to somewhere else. I know it's complicated, but basically I want to get a carseat for DS that we can transport on the bus, train, or walking. It would be great if the toddler could ride in it (he currently rides in the Snap N Go) but I looked at the Sit N Stroll and it's too expensive for how often we use it, and I've read it's terrible.

It has been recommended that we get a Cosco Scenera, which sounds good for when we are picked up at home, but how could I transport it? Any ideas?

Basically I can't wait for DS to be old enough and big enough for a vest (he has to be 3, right?) but until then I need a portable solution. Preferably one I can lug myself while lugging DS at the same time...

If it helps, DS is currently about 23 lbs and just under 30 inches at 12 months. He has a long (thin) torso and shorter legs (judging by the way he outgrows his clothes in comparison to other toddlers). Thanks for your suggestions.

ADS

newyorkDOC

Combo coccoro bc it has a stroller frame that is compatible with it (used to be the flash frame but they discontinued it).

Or maybe an orbitz but u think they are $$$$.

Yes he has to be 3 to use an RSTV.

jess71903

Ambassador
The Scenera comes in a plastic bag with a shoulder strap, so I'd do that, and wear your kiddo in a sling on your other hip when out and about. Take this with a grain of salt, from the girl living in rural AR ;).

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Another, slightly precarious, option that I've done in airports is strap the carseat into a stroller, then put the kid in the carseat (seems to me I've done a Scenera in an umbrella? I'm not talking about a proper travel system. ;) ) You'd want to be careful about tippiness with that solution.

Alternatively, you can put the carseat on a folding luggage cart and strap the baby in on that too. We did that a lot more in airports and I found it more secure.

nannykates

What about the graco snugride click connect 40. Its a supersized infant seat that should last for a while then you could get the safety 1st go after that.

BrookysMommy

Another, slightly precarious, option that I've done in airports is strap the carseat into a stroller, then put the kid in the carseat (seems to me I've done a Scenera in an umbrella? I'm not talking about a proper travel system. ;) ) You'd want to be careful about tippiness with that solution.

Alternatively, you can put the carseat on a folding luggage cart and strap the baby in on that too. We did that a lot more in airports and I found it more secure.

A scenera fits perfectly into the unbrella strollers from walmart actually.

eddis

We had a Sit n Stroll for travel when kiddo was between 1-3, and I was really happy with it for that particular context. (We had gone on one trip where we strapped the car seat - Britax Roundabout- into the stroller, and I found it such a hassle that we bought the SNS.) Was great for airports, subways, rental cars, transfers to ferries, buses and so on. The small wheels aren't great on cobblestones, but better than carrying child AND carseat on my back!

(Later, we used a Scenera for travel, and even though it was light I found it finicky to install and a pain to lug around strapped to a stroller/baggage cart. I never put DS in it while it was jury-rigged to the stroller, seemed an unstable arrangement. YMMV. :))

I'd say get the SNS for the limited amount of time you need a seat, esp. because often it seems you only need it one way. Wear your child in a carrier/hold hands if he/she doesn't want to ride, and put your bag in the stroller.

Then, as soon as he meets the weight limits, I'd think about a Bubble Bum (inflatable seat) sinceitsounds like he would be with you around to supervise proper booster posture/behavior on the few occasions you ride in a car.

newyorkDOC

I live in a major city as well and there's no way in hell I'd wear my kid AND a car seat AND carry a bag with your stuff in it.

I also would not jam a seat into a stroller. It's awkward and you cannot close your stroller to get through a turnstile if need be.

gigi

The larger infant seats are what I would get. Whatever the request one is that can be installed baseless. I lived in NYC while both kids were young and understand the dilemma. Or a Coccoro.

If you are going 1-2x a week, that is actually a lot for a city dweller. Is there any way to work out a vehicle closer or to have one parent go get car and come back for the first of the family? Or to use public transport the whole way?

After my son was 1, we didn't do taxis at all...public transport only queen we were around Manhattan until he could fit the RSTV.

Also, if he is slim the RSTV might not fit until he is older than 3. And the RSTV was very uncomfortable for my kid and so we only used it for short taxi rides and he had a regular carseat too.

ETA: I hang the CCO off the back of my Maclaren Techno using a webbing belt through the back and just loop the belt over the stroller handles. But a snap and go would be easier for either infant seat or CCO if you were using that as your stroller too.

Last edited:

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
The universal snap n go takes a coccoro, actually. They do make a carry bag for it and it's light if needed.

The sit n stroll is outgrown insanely early rear and forward facing, plus is impossible to properly install in a majority of vehicles. I only recommend it with a small child and cars it's known to install well with being the only ones it will ever be used in- so, never, so far.

The sit and stand stroller might be an option, using the ”standing” shelf for a platform for the seat.

The Scenera's bag only has a carry handle, not a shoulder strap and I've not found it sturdy enough I'd want to use it long term.

The bubblebum has an age limit of four that must be met as well as the 40 lb minimum.

You might find this page helpful: http://www.thecarseatlady.com/taxis/using_taxis_2.html

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC