Install instructions: car manual vs seat manual

U

Unregistered

We would like to install our infant seat base in the center position of my 2014 Mazda CX5. The car manual says for the center position to use the interior latch points from the outboard seats. However, my car seat manual says I can only use latch points that are 11" apart (they are 16" apart if using the interior points for the center position). This leads me to believe that I can't actually use the latch points for the center position. However, since my car manual doesn't say anything about using the center seat belt for installation, does that mean I can't use it? Making it a little more confusing, the center seat has a 3 point shoulder belt, and I'm not sure that's a safe belt to use for installation without the car manual specifically stating so.

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
First off, you are in that REALLY tiny minority who actually reads both manuals. So thank you for that!!

Sounds like you have a Chicco Keyfit? The seatbelt is just fine to install in the middle.

Wendy

cookie123

The Keyfit has a really easy seat belt install. Do you know how to use the lock off on the base? If not, it's use is in the manual. If you have questions, come back here!

jess71903

Ambassador
Both the seat and the car have to allow LATCH borrowing (what you're talking about) for you to be able to do it. You can definitely install with a seat belt!

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC