Gearhead + CPST = Tough Choices. Opinions?

AK Dad

OK, so while I've got a couple of minutes I need to submit something for comment by the masses:

I'm stuck in between my gearhead wants and desires and my safety advocate tendencies! I've been suppressing my gearhead side for the last 10 years for the sake of practicality, but I think I may have come up with a solution that will satisfy both sides.

Right now my daily driver is a 2011 Honda Pilot, which of course is a fine vehicle, reliable, safe, flexible ... and mind-numbingly boring and un-engaging to drive. I've thought of adding a Flex Ecoboost to our lineup, but I don't think it's different enough from the Pilot to justify having it. Also, the Flex is quick in a straight line, but the driving dynamics aren't much better than your run of the mill CUV/minivan.

So, what I need is AWD (and yes, living 2100' up a mountain in Alaska means "need" is the correct word) and I'd like to have a manual transmission and lots o' power ... which pretty much narrows my choices down to an Acura TL or an Audi S4. I really tried to like the Acura, but it's just so catastrophically ugly I just couldn't stand it. I also looked at the previous body style S4 or RS4, but the backseat is just way too tight to even consider it with my 3 kids.

The 2009-up S4 (fast version of the A4) though looks like it might be a winner, and that's what I want the opinions on. I didn't think it was going to be big enough, but I was pleasantly surprised the other day when I went and did some test-fitting of seats in a used one. The most amazing thing was that I could have the driver's seat in any position I wanted and the Foonf still fit in the center rear, RFing with no problem! It also was narrow enough at the base to avoid interfering with the outer two seatbelt positions.

Oh yeah, kids are as follows:
Nearly 6yo, 48" tall, 52lbs (around 90th percentile for height), Frontier 85
3.5yo, 38.5" tall, 33lbs (40th percentile height), Britax Multi-Tech (RF'd)
12mo, 31" tall, 26lbs (96th percentile all-over), Foonf or Radian (RF'd, of course)

So it was raining when I did the test fitting, and I always feel like I'm wasting the salesman's time, so I didn't get pictures, but I was able to get the Radian next to the Foonf, both RF'd with the Radian on the passenger's side. I also was able to get the Radian FF'd behind the driver's side, but just barely.

I also tried the Foonf FF'd, but it won't work in the middle because the middle seat belt receiver is pretty far forward of the seat bight. It did work FF'd behind the driver's seat though.

So, here's my thought process:

Yes, my current setup is likely safer, however it would be nice to let my wife start driving the Pilot since her daily driver right now is our 07 GMC Sierra 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed dually, diesel (which is even a ridiculous daily driver for Alaska). Also, while I'm a huge safety advocate, I sometimes wonder if I'm taking it too far and missing out on things that I enjoy. It's a bit like my whole Swedish RFing seat vs. Foonf/Radian debate - am I getting too wrapped up in minute differences to see that either option is better than 99.9% of the options out there?

So, here's what I'm thinking if I were to get the S4:

Youngest boy stays RF'd in the Foonf, in the center, thru at least age 4 (which he will assuming he sticks to the 95th percentile.)

Middle boy stays RF'd in the Radian, outboard passenger side, probably until his first day of Kindergarten at the rate he's going, then I either turn the Radian FF'd with the harness, or just do the Swede method of ERF direct to FF'd booster.

Oldest girl goes into a booster on the driver's side. This is probably my biggest personal sticking-point. I know the FF 5-point vs. booster debate is very hot, and I used to be on the side of "Harness4Ever" but I've got to admit that I'm changing that stance a little bit for a couple of reasons 1) the Swedes don't FF harness at all, and I really think if there were any advantage to it, they'd be doing it in a heartbeat and 2) even for me I have to admit that the harness x3 every time in and out of the car is getting a bit tedious.
One thing going for the S4 is that there are standard side curtain airbags, but also optional side torso airbags in the rear, which of course I would get.
Since I don't have much real-world booster experience yet, I'm thinking that the only thing that'll fit well is the BubbleBum. I know that a booster's a booster, but I'm having difficulty in my mind with her going from harnessed in a FR85 directly to essentially sitting on a balloon! :p

Also, I want to make sure this is going to be relatively future-proof, so I'm thinking once the youngest outgrows the Foonf RF'd, he can go a bit longer in it FF'd (although based on what I've seen he won't have too long between outgrowing it RF'd for height and then outgrowing FF'd for shoulder height) behind the driver with the other two in boosters in middle and outboard (so they'll be 8.5yo and 6.5yo by then.)

OK, so if you haven't hit your "back" button yet and are still reading my ridiculously long-winded stream of consciousness, what do you think? Am I totally over-thinking it, or am I being a selfish jerk for even considering it???

ADS

canadiangie

Well, ime, crap really hits the fan when you get into boosters. I'd stop all your worrying and wondering, and go get two hbb, a Foonf or a Radian, and go do test fitting with that scenario.

No a booster isn't a booster. A hbb positions the shoulder belt correctly, and again, ime, it's these hot little imports with tall seat backs that make it so kids need shoulder belt positioning help *forever*.

Also, I'd eat my socks before I'd believe you would go from a beefy FN85 to a bubble bum. Nothing wrong with a bubble bum, but dude, I just can't see you being content with dd outboard in a backless any sooner that you have to.

So yeah, I don't doubt you can successfully do three harnessed seats. But that's not the issue. Boosters. It's where things go downhill fast.

Keep in mind the euro inspired RodiFix by Maxi Cosi is set to debut in the US and its an armrestless hbb. September is said to be when it's arriving. I'd give it a serious go before I decided anything.

nannykates

Did you hear about the new honda suv coming out for 2014? Its a spin off of the fit...I'm excited for it but it may not be the fix for you.

AK Dad

Well, ime, crap really hits the fan when you get into boosters. I'd stop all your worrying and wondering, and go get two hbb, a Foonf or a Radian, and go do test fitting with that scenario.

No a booster isn't a booster. A hbb positions the shoulder belt correctly, and again, ime, it's these hot little imports with tall seat backs that make it so kids need shoulder belt positioning help *forever*.

Good points! Funny, one of the cars I was considering was an Mitsu EVO, but I saw you had a Lancer from another thread and said it was nearly impossible!

Also, I'd eat my socks before I'd believe you would go from a beefy FN85 to a bubble bum. Nothing wrong with a bubble bum, but dude, I just can't see you being content with dd outboard in a backless any sooner that you have to.

:ROTFLMAO: C'mon, you're supposed to be helpin' me out here! Admitted confirmation bias on my part is actually why I'm putting the question out there, so I do appreciate it, and that's how I was feeling too honestly.

So yeah, I don't doubt you can successfully do three harnessed seats. But that's not the issue. Boosters. It's where things go downhill fast.

I have been a booster-hater up to this point, so it sounds like more experience with them won't make things any better, huh?

Keep in mind the euro inspired RodiFix by Maxi Cosi is set to debut in the US and its an armrestless hbb. September is said to be when it's arriving. I'd give it a serious go before I decided anything.

Just looked that up and it looks pretty awesome! I've never understood why boosters have the ridiculous armrests (also don't understand why the FR85 needs to be 7" wider at the base just to accommodate cupholders :scratcheshead: )
That thing looks like it might do the trick though, and since this car deal isn't going to happen for 3-6 months I'll have plenty of time for it to come out and try it! I could just order some candidates from Amazon to try since my buddy has an S4, then if they don't fit I can just free return 'em and not be out anything but time. I did just order a BubbleBum for my daughter to pack in her school bag since she's starting Kindergarten and I wanted to have an emergency option with her at all times.

http://www.chrysler.com/en/2013/300/performance/

Hemi+AWD in a car, meets the power and fun to drive requirements? 5-star overall NHTSA and IIHS Top Safety Pick for 2013.

Well that might work, but it's an automatic, and if I'm just after an auto trans that opens my options up hugely. In fact one of the other ones I was thinking about was a used Audi A8L or an S8 -- they're usually like $100k+ new, but since it's usually rich people who don't care about resale getting rid of them you can pick a 4yo one up for around 30-40k depending on the milage. Still not "cheap" but for how much car you get it's pretty amazing. A8L has a ginormous backseat since they're for chauffeuring business execs around, but would also be outstanding for ERF seats, and the S8 has a V10 from the Lamborghini Gallairdo :dance:

Only problem with any of these options is that some people might think I'm "stuck in the '80s" :cool: ;)

AK Dad

BTW, in all honesty, what I'd really like to do is get a passenger airbag on/off switch, then go Swede-style with the Multi-Tech RF'd in the front passenger seat and 2x FR85s in the back ... but then I'd have to ask permission from my (nanny) Uncle Sam ... :duck:

canadiangie

I'm too lazy to quote, but I don't vote EVO unless you want to be mosty up the creek for a longterm three across. I've all but given up with dh's GTS. Things were fine when I could do ff RN / ff RN / rf RN, but even then I ranked the install a 10 on the old r-u-effing kidding me scale. It required things like twisted belt stalks, and locking clips, and swearing. These days I've just said forget it and rock two hbb for my big girls (6 & 7.5) and the baby (3) stays home. I don't want her ff yet and it's a ff radian / ff MR65 / harmony backless that could work, but I'm just not game for that set-up quite yet.

Also, EVO's are pretty punk down in my parts, so yeah .. just sayin'. :p

I'm praying we get the RodiFix up here asap. I might just buy 4 if they're as good as they appear.

Armrests have, in the past, been touted as 'false hips' and load bearing tools on a booster. A booster without is going to be designed differently I imagine. Designed so that the lap belt stays down regardless. That's my 4:26am explanation, anyway. ;)

Ok, back to bed with me..

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Well that might work, but it's an automatic, and if I'm just after an auto trans that opens my options up hugely. In fact one of the other ones I was thinking about was a used Audi A8L or an S8 -- they're usually like $100k+ new, but since it's usually rich people who don't care about resale getting rid of them you can pick a 4yo one up for around 30-40k depending on the milage. Still not "cheap" but for how much car you get it's pretty amazing. A8L has a ginormous backseat since they're for chauffeuring business execs around, but would also be outstanding for ERF seats, and the S8 has a V10 from the Lamborghini Gallairdo :dance:

Only problem with any of these options is that some people might think I'm "stuck in the '80s" :cool: ;)

I drove the SRT8 rear wheel version at a media event last year. Fun car and pretty nice for a full size sedan. Still likely not even in the same league as the others you are considering, but you know, true gearheads love the HEMI! Plus, being a Chysler, they are often dirt cheap after depreciation for a 1-2 year old one.

In my defense, you didn't list fuel economy as a concern. Unless you wait for the AWD Tesla, it's going to be hard to meet all your criteria AND move you into the current decade!

AK Dad

Also, EVO's are pretty punk down in my parts, so yeah .. just sayin'. :p

Yeah, they are typically driven by 25yo "yabbos" as the Brits would say. Same as the Subaru WRX ...

I'm praying we get the RodiFix up here asap. I might just buy 4 if they're as good as they appear.

They do look very cool, but if the dimensions are the same as the EU model (can't imagine they're not) then it's probably going to be too wide for my particular idea. Looks like almost 19" at the ribs.

Armrests have, in the past, been touted as 'false hips' and load bearing tools on a booster. A booster without is going to be designed differently I imagine. Designed so that the lap belt stays down regardless. That's my 4:26am explanation, anyway. ;)

Ok, back to bed with me..

I'm still not terribly convinced with many of the side-impact claims of boosters - I feel like with a booster that I'm mostly going to be relying on either the vehicle's airbags or just center seating position for SIP. I do like the high-back portion for shoulder belt positioning though ...

... but you know, true gearheads love the HEMI!
Yeah, but true gearheads know the only TRUE Hemi is the 426!!! (or if you're really old skool, the FirePower series from the '50s)

In my defense, you didn't list fuel economy as a concern. Unless you wait for the AWD Tesla, it's going to be hard to meet all your criteria AND move you into the current decade!

Well, fuel economy is a concern, but just about anything will be better than driving the truck every day. Also, I do enjoy "performance" in the broad sense - doesn't necessarily need to be brute force. If I'm not going to get something fast I'd probably get something like a Tuareg TDI. What I'd really like would be a XC70 diesel like you can get in europe. I've looked at that new Tesla SUV coming out which looks pretty cool, but I'm still not convinced those things aren't going to need 4600 new lithium batteries every 5 years. Also, up in AK I think you're going to be using a ton of your available range just heating the interior, particularly if the thing's parked outside during the day. We do have a few Model S Teslas driving around up here - in fact a friend's neighbor just got one recently, so I'll be interested to see how it works out long term.

AK Dad

So, after doing a lot of thinking, I think I'll hold off on getting a different car. As much as I want it, I'd just have to make too many compromises to make it happen, and since my current setup scores very high for everything but the fun to drive factor, it's hard to justify anything different.

I think I may test drive the Flex Ecoboost up the hill to our house in a couple of months once we have a good snowpack on the road. If it handles significantly better than the Pilot I might just consider trading it in on one. Either way, the "toy" we'll probably buy rather than a fast Audi will be a new truck camper!

Thanks for the help in workin' through! :)

aporthole

I also currently drive a 2011 Pilot! If I needed a new car and more funds, other than another Pilot the Acura MDX and the Audi Q7 would be the only ones I'd remotely consider. The Audi Q7 TDI is basically my dream car. Captain's chairs in the 2nd row and two top tethers in tge 3rd row.

AK Dad

Yep, I'm a big fan of the Q7 TDI myself, but I think I finally decided that dropping $60k-ish to save maybe $1k/yr on fuel just wasn't worth it.

I'm really glad I didn't fall too in love with the S4 idea before last week, because my oldest started Kindergarten, and to use the drop off line, she has to get out on the curb side. That made me swap sides again, so she's now in the passenger rear in her FR85. The only way the S4 would have remotely worked would have been with her behind the driver, which would have forced me to park, pull the other two out of their seats, and walk in to get her every day. Doesn't sound like much, but in the middle of January, in the dark (both for pickup and dropoff), and at 5-below zero, that pickup line is going to be worth more than a fun drive up the hill afterwards!

Still love the Flex, so if it test drives well when I drive it hard, I think the Pilot may be finding a new home ...

aporthole

The logical penny pincher in me completely agrees with your decision. You also wouldn't save any money at all in fuel for Pilot vs Q7 since the price of diesel is more than regular unleaded and the milage is only about 2-3 mpgs better for the Q7.

marge234

What do you think of Volvo? Some kind of major engine change is on the horizon--fewer cylinders, same/more power. Whether or not it's getting a new engine, I think XC90 is being redesigned. I saw "spy" or "leaked" pictures. I think on TTAC. Nothing registered with me as significantly different. Changes in car looks, beyond major ones, are generally lost on me.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC