Vehicles with 5 top tethers

carmeyf

We have a 2008 Dodge Caravan and love it, but it has one tt in the 3rd row, and 2 in the middle row and we need to have 4 kids harnessed ff at the same time. Not urgent yet, but dodge said they can't retrofit more tt's so we need to start vehicle shopping.

We have 4 kids, 4yr old, 2 year old and 7 month old twins. All are in sunshine kids, only the 4 year old is ff. Would like to have 5 top tethers so I have flexibility with configurations. What are my choices? I have heard a rumour that a ford flex has whag we need, any truth to this? Likely looking at a 2008 or maybe '09. Thanks!

Also, we are in Canada and I'm not a fan of SUV's but realize that's kind of limiting so I may be convinced.

ADS

katymyers

I think Honda Odysseys have 5, the new generation ones. Mazda5s have four, but if you're driving a full size van already you probably want more space than that. I can say though, I have three kids and a fourth on the way and I have no problem with how much space is in my Mazda, and I love the gas mileage and driving experience.

MommyShannon

2006-2010 Odysseys have 5. Only the small 8th seat doesn't have one. The new gen Ody has 6. There is a good chance your oldest will be in a booster before your youngest are ff though, so you could keep your current van. Like you said, you wouldn't really have options though.

NVMBR02

I don't think the flex has 5 top tethers, but I could be wrong. My Pilot has 6, and the Odyssey. The Toyota Sienna from 2004-2010 has 5 top tethers, I believe.

Baylor

I have a 2001 GC and I am going to miss all my anchors when we replace it. I'm trying to hold on until all my tethered seats are no longer being used. ;)

auto correct hates me

carmeyf

I think Honda Odysseys have 5, the new generation ones. Mazda5s have four, but if you're driving a full size van already you probably want more space than that. I can say though, I have three kids and a fourth on the way and I have no problem with how much space is in my Mazda, and I love the gas mileage and driving experience.

I'm open to looking at a Mazda 5. It scares me a bit as I love my space and we travel long distances a lot, but the mileage would be awesome for that. What year do you have? I think I'd want a 2010 or somewhere around there just for price range reasons.

carmeyf

2006-2010 Odysseys have 5. Only the small 8th seat doesn't have one. The new gen Ody has 6. There is a good chance your oldest will be in a booster before your youngest are ff though, so you could keep your current van. Like you said, you wouldn't really have options though.

Technically, my oldest could be in a booster already. Barely, but I'm not comfortable with that at all. They are all in sunshine kids and he's barely 40lbs at 4.5 years old, so it will take a loooong time to reach 65lbs when he outgrows ff and goes into a booster. My youngest will be ff in 2 years or so and he's not likely to gain 25lbs in the meantime.

nannykates

Most kids outgrow seats by height. Make sure to watch that his shoulders aren't much (sunshine kids allows shoulder slightly above the top harness slots) above the harness slots.

Previous gen siennas had lots ot tethers too. 2nd gen odysseys (2000-2005) had predrilled holes to retrofit for the 3rd row so you could make those 5 tethers too.

MommyShannon

Previous gen siennas had lots ot tethers too. 2nd gen odysseys (2000-2005) had predrilled holes to retrofit for the 3rd row so you could make those 5 tethers too.

2005 was a bum year. It was the newer model but only 3 tethers and no retrofitting. It's the one year to avoid of you need tethers. So glad they fixed that in the 2006.

kathysr98

The Flex has four TT locations - all three seats in the second and the passenger side in the third. I agree that you'll be unlikely to need 4 TT at a time.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC