Update on Radian bases bowing/cracking???

ADS

remken

They've replaced my car seat twice w/ no problems. Both times I have had a new seat within a week of e-mailing them.

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I've not had such luck. First Russ kept saying he was in the middle of stuff and would call me back when I got through to him.

Then 3 WEEKS later I finally get a hold of him when he isn't busy. I tell him what is going on and he tells me that IF I e-mail him pics to prove that I actually have a Radian and am not just running a scam to get a free one AND if he thinks the pics warrant it, THEN he'll send out a call tag for my seat. Then IF my car seat matches the pics he'll send me a new one. I e-mailed the pics this morning so we'll see what happens now.

This experience has really soured me on Sunshine Kids. The rep with the A name that I can't even begin to try to spell implied that I was lazy and cheap because I didn't think I should have to drive 200 miles to take back a defective car seat (which SK should want to see so they can figure out WTH is going on with it) , then Russ tells me he needs me to PROVE I'm not running a scam. Oh, and BTW, did ya'll know Russ is the owner of SK according to the rep?

Kimberly

I didn't know Russ was the owner. :scratcheshead:

I can understanding the company becoming a little more cautious, since there have been so many issues recently with the harness, short crotch strap, shallow harness groove, and now the bowed bases. Lots of free replacement seats have made their way out the SKJP doors.

It would be really easy for a message board (not saying this one, just any generic one) to spread the word that SKJP is replacing their seats for free, if you can come up with a good enough reason/flaw. Post a few of the existing acceptable flaws, and anyone with a Radian might see an opportunity to acquire a 2nd one for free. Maybe they've even had a few attempt to get a seat, who *couldn't* verify that they did in fact own a Radian.

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
I have been emailing Russ about our harness problem too, and he is not being forthcoming. I'm just giving up and selling the Radian and washing my hands of SK.

didymama

i don't like hearing this since i really like our radian. it fits ds1 perfectly and a regent is far beyond my budget. since i have a radian already i would feel ethically wrong to contact KMF for a regent. plus with 3 across i doubt it would work for us. i will just keep my fingers crossed with mine and make the best of it. he is at the second to top slots and i think has a good year or 2 left since his growth slowed greatly.

becca011906

Senior Community Member
I was so happy with our radain really LOVED it, still like it but with the faying harness issues and other issues that keep coming up instead of replacing allie's scenera and uptown with another radain we got a FPSVD and marathon so she'll last in thoes till abby out grows the radain then allie can use it till she out grows it...

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I didn't know Russ was the owner. :scratcheshead:

I can understanding the company becoming a little more cautious, since there have been so many issues recently with the harness, short crotch strap, shallow harness groove, and now the bowed bases. Lots of free replacement seats have made their way out the SKJP doors.

It would be really easy for a message board (not saying this one, just any generic one) to spread the word that SKJP is replacing their seats for free, if you can come up with a good enough reason/flaw. Post a few of the existing acceptable flaws, and anyone with a Radian might see an opportunity to acquire a 2nd one for free. Maybe they've even had a few attempt to get a seat, who *couldn't* verify that they did in fact own a Radian.

That is true, and I completely understand the need for them to be cautious, what I don't understand is WHY Russ felt the need to say, and I quote "take a picture of the damage to your seat, and of the sticker with the model number and manufacture date and e-mail it to me so I can verify that you actually have one of our seats and are not just running a scam to get a free one"

He could have just asked for the pics without the insult tacked on.

Kimberly

musicmaj

I bet he found out they had been scammed a few times and now is being cautious. What does your seat look like where it is cracking? I'm just curous. I have a radian and I am trying to imagine where your seat would do that. Is it near the crotch strap holes?

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
If they'd be like Britax and get a CC number and send you a return authorization before they sent you a new seat, they'd have saved themselves thousands of dollars in shipping out free seats.

Um...yeah... he could have NOT insulted you, Kim :thumbsdown:

solmama

hmm...I moved my dd's seat a couple of weeks ago and noticed the base was bowed. I literally couldn't remember if it came that way or not. So, they don't come bowed, ugh. What's bad about the bowing? Russ isn't going to like this.

BudgieStew

They requested a picture of the Serial number/DOM etc when I inquired about my seat being a short strapped one.
I completely understand why as someone will always try and take advantage.
Does any one have a picture of this bowing. I'd like to see what it looks like so I can keep an eye on my mine.

arly1983

safeinthecar@mac.com;227862 "take a picture of the damage to your seat said:
That is just sooooo not right.

IF my integrity were called into question like that, I would have been tempted to tell him where he could put his radian. :mad:

The request for pictures was not the bad part, it was the insult at the end!

It isn't your fault the company lost a lot of money because of his actions. You have a legitimate complaint and should be treated with respect.

Last edited:

ZephyrBlue

That kind of attitude really turns me off of a company. Russ is SO helpful in emails when he's trying to get you to buy the product (I know this from personal experience), but when you have actually paid for the damn thing and it's defective, he treats you like a criminal? WTF is up with that? :mad:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
That kind of attitude really turns me off of a company. Russ is SO helpful in emails when he's trying to get you to buy the product (I know this from personal experience), but when you have actually paid for the damn thing and it's defective, he treats you like a criminal? WTF is up with that? :mad:

Yep. :thumbsdown:

Frenchie

Hello! I'm a long time lurker here but this is my first time posting. I hope you all don't mind me joining in I've learned so much reading here. My name is Tammy and I have 2 little ones. Sam is 2 yrs old and Grace is 9 mos they are both in the 90th percentile for height and weight but I don't have any specific measurements to put up yet. Sam is in a Radian 80 and Grace is using a Graco Comfortsport until tomorrow when hopefully her Radian80 will be showing up. I'm sure this isn't the place to post an intro but I just wanted to let you all know I'm a real person :).

I have been reading the thread on the Radian having short straps and cracked bases and I'm curious if there is someway to check if mine falls into this category? We purchased it in March 07 and so far my 2 yr old is still on the 2nd from the top slots. I haven't noticed any problems with the harness coming loose but I do have trouble when it come to tightening it. It often feels like something is hung up underneath and I can't get him tight without a lot of effort. I'll hopefully be receiving my 2nd Radian tomorrow for my 9 mos old so I'll check the other ones base at that time. Sorry to ramble I'm really just asking if there is a way I can tell if I have short harness straps? I'd hate to not know and then one day when he's taller find out the seat isn't going to fit him.

Thank you!

Morganthe

I have been emailing Russ about our harness problem too, and he is not being forthcoming.

I'm just giving up and selling the Radian and washing my hands of SK.

Honestly, and I'm hope I don't sound preachy, but this is a terrible idea. How would you feel if a child was injured because you passed along a self-loosening & unsafe car seat?

It's just not ethical to sell your Radian off unless you advertise the seat with the problems you have been facing. There might be someone out there willing to risk their child in this seat. I know I wouldn't with my dd though. :(

You are the only one who can get warranty work accomplished. A second buyer would be out the money and possibly their child's well being. :(

Instead of emailing, which is easily ignored or passed by, persistant telephone calls would be a much better way to contact the company.
I'm sorry to say that you could be sick of this matter, but unless you just destroy the seat, the only right thing to do in this situation is to keep attempting to resolve this with SKJP & Russ.

good luck and if it's any consolation, I"m cheering you on :) :thumbsup:

Last edited:

An Aurora

Senior Community Member
Honestly, and I'm hope I don't sound preachy, but this is a terrible idea. How would you feel if a child was injured because you passed along a self-loosening & unsafe car seat?

It's just not ethical to sell your Radian off unless you advertise the seat with the problems you have been facing. There might be someone out there willing to risk their child in this seat. I know I wouldn't with my dd though. :(

You are the only one who can get warranty work accomplished. A second buyer would be out the money and possibly their child's well being. :(

Instead of emailing, which is easily ignored or passed by, persistant telephone calls would be a much better way to contact the company.
I'm sorry to say that you could be sick of this matter, but unless you just destroy the seat, the only right thing to do in this situation is to keep attempting to resolve this with SKJP & Russ.

good luck and if it's any consolation, I"m cheering you on :) :thumbsup:

Yeah, I know :( I thought about it, and there is no way I can sell it knowing that something *might* happen. At the same time, I can't keep using it for my child, because something *might* happen. But, Russ maintains that I am simply not tightening it right, and that the seat is not faulty. He has ignored my most recent emails, and if I call they say it is a matter for the technician, who is of course Russ. Gosh I'm frustrated!! I just want to be done.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
If you can't get a satisfactory remedy from Sunshine Kids, please report the problem to NHTSA at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ You may want to report the problem any way whether or not there's a satisfactory resolution, just to have an official record of possible issues with the carseat model on file at NHTSA. :twocents:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC