Best AWD/4WD option? Sienna, Ford Flex, Chevy Traverse?

MyTwoSons

We are in the market for a "new to us" vehicle with either AWD or 4WD option, and I need some input on what to consider. Probably looking no older than 2009, but new wouldn't be out of the question if it were the perfect fit.

My ideal vehicle would be a newer generation Odyssey IF it came with an AWD option. Since they don't (and why, oh why don't they :shrug-shoulders:), what is the next best comparable vehicle?

Obviously, I'm looking at the Sienna's since their 7 passenger ones have AWD options. I'm reading the previous gen ones have more tethers/latch than the new ones, so that is nice. BUT, overall they don't have as good of crash test ratings as the Odyssey so I keep getting hung up on that.

What other vehicles should I be looking at before making a decision? Maybe a Honda Pilot (but I haven't looked at their crash test ratings)? I've looked online a little at the Subaru Outback and the new Forester, but not sure how much of an adjustment the loss of a 3rd row and sliding doors would be. I've never really pictured us in a full-size SUV, so I'm not sure about those options.

What would you consider? Should I just get over the difference in crash test ratings between the Ody and Sienna, since the Sienna seems to be the closest to my 'non-existent' ideal?

TIA for any insight or other vehicles to consider!

Last edited:
ADS

A's Mommy

Re: Best AWD/4WD option?

We switched from a minivan to a Subaru Outback. I've never regretted it! I love my Outback. I do have 2 older stepsons, but they don't live with us so it's not often that they travel in my car, so space is not an issue.

MyTwoSons

We switched from a minivan to a Subaru Outback. I've never regretted it! I love my Outback.
I do like what I'm reading about the 2013 Outback...still not sure about giving up the 3rd row though.

2007 and newer Acura MDX
I'll do some research on this one; thank you!

How about the Chevy Traverse or Ford Flex (2009ish and newer)? Anyone have experience with those? Love them, hate them? Do they play nice with carseats and boosters? They appear to have more cargo area behind the 3rd row than others in their class, which is something I'm looking for.

bubbaray

We rented a Flex for 2 weeks in 2010 as really liked it. Depends what you are looking for. It's more like a van than an SUV IMO

MyTwoSons

We rented a Flex for 2 weeks in 2010 as really liked it. Depends what you are looking for. It's more like a van than an SUV IMO

Just the type of info I'm looking for! It's actually a good thing for me if it seems more like a van. What I really want is an Odyssey with an AWD option, but that doesn't exist, so I'm in search of the "next best thing."

What seats did you install in it? Were there issues with headrest compatibility? How was the cargo space? Comfortable 3rd row?

bubbaray

Just the type of info I'm looking for! It's actually a good thing for me if it seems more like a van. What I really want is an Odyssey with an AWD option, but that doesn't exist, so I'm in search of the "next best thing."

What seats did you install in it? Were there issues with headrest compatibility? How was the cargo space? Comfortable 3rd row?

At the time I had 2005 Ody and I thought the handling was similar.

We had a LBB for DD1 in 3rd row outboard passenger. Comfy, good belt fit, away from little sister. I don't recall any headrest issues but we were using a LBB.

RN FFg outboard 2nd row for DD2. Easy install. Tumbled 2nd row passenger side so DD1 had easy access to 3rd row.

I was unimpressed with cargo room with 3rd row in use. The front seats were comfy and the ergonomics were good. Typical Ford over use of buttons and lights but that is personal preference. Interior build quality was typical domestic. Handling was similar to my then Honda. Our rental was a 2WD so I can't comment specifically on the AWD/4WD option, but Fords typically handle similarly despite drive train differences.

I didn't like it enough to actually buy one myself (2m later I bought a Toyota and love it). But if you are looking for an AWD van, it's worth a look.

MyTwoSons

Thank you 'Bubbaray' for the first hand input! Sending some rep your way. :)

Everyone I know that has a Ford Flex loves it. You kinda get the best of both worlds with it :)
Any chance someone you know who owns one, also has a hbb installed in it? In the near future I will be booster training DS1, and I'm curious if there are compatibility issues with the headrests in the Flex. I'm going to test drive this weekend, but I don't currently own a Vivo or a Monterey (which are the two I was leaning toward trying with him first).

T4K

Doesn't Subaru make a vehicle with a third row? Tribeca?

Ford Expeditions (or Lincoln Navigators) have the best 3rd row.

SavsMom

MyTwoSons said:
Thank you 'Bubbaray' for the first hand input! Sending some rep your way. :)

Any chance someone you know who owns one, also has a hbb installed in it? In the near future I will be booster training DS1, and I'm curious if there are compatibility issues with the headrests in the Flex. I'm going to test drive this weekend, but I don't currently own a Vivo or a Monterey (which are the two I was leaning toward trying with him first).

Not right now - they both have kids but all are still harnessed :)

mommydev

I have a 2011 Flex and also love it. Been driving it since May 2011. We don't have AWD, so I can't comment on that. I find the storage behind the 3rd row to be better than many of the other similar vehicles. The space between the first and second rows really is amazing, it's one of the first things people comment on when they get in the car. Really the only thing I'm not a fan of is the limited visibility out the back window when there are 2 passengers there.

So far I haven't had any issues with boosters in it. The 2nd row headrests are very flat (and removable) so most seats sit quite well against them. I can foresee there being a potential problem with a hbb in the 3rd row because this headrests are fixed and slanted, but so far I haven't needed a booster to be high enough for it to interfere. They are also pretty tall, so I would imagine a lbb might work if the headrest gets in the way. I've had a Monterey in both back rows and it plays nicely with the 2nd row headrests. I've also used a Parkway, Turbobooster, and Bubble Bum on occasion.

For my seat combinations, I've done a keyfit behind the driver with a ff radian next to it. I then replaced the keyfit with a rf coccoro. Both of those combinations allow the other part of the seat to fold for access to the 3rd row and/or basically any other seat to fit in that spot. In the 3rd row, I've had a rf tribute, rf & ff marathon, nautilus, and frontier 90 at various points. I currently have a coccoro rf behind the driver that I'm hoping to replace with a rf radian and a frontier 90 behind the passenger. I can still sit in the middle seat and a Bubble Bum fits really nicely in there.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

MyTwoSons

"mommydev" thank you so much for the wealth of info! I am going to test drive this weekend and install the seats I have, but I don't currently own any hbb's to play with in it. So glad to hear the 2nd row headrests work well with them! :thumbsup:

Any chance the Monterey installs in the center of the 2nd row bench, and if so, still allows the seat next to it to flip for access to the 3rd row? If I am not already dreaming with that setup, would a rf seat fit next to the Monterey on the other side? Any thoughts on whether this setup would work with a Vivo?

Also, what is the leg room like in the 3rd row? I thought I read somewhere that the second row captains chairs can be slid forward to allow more 3rd row room, but that the 2nd row bench is "fixed" into place. Is that correct? I think I would prefer the bench though.

Thanks so much!

mommydev

Any chance the Monterey installs in the center of the 2nd row bench, and if so, still allows the seat next to it to flip for access to the 3rd row? If I am not already dreaming with that setup, would a rf seat fit next to the Monterey on the other side? Any thoughts on whether this setup would work with a Vivo?

Also, what is the leg room like in the 3rd row? I thought I read somewhere that the second row captains chairs can be slid forward to allow more 3rd row room, but that the 2nd row bench is "fixed" into place. Is that correct? I think I would prefer the bench though.

Thanks so much!

You could probably get the Monterey in the middle of the second row, but I'm thinking not a chance you could get a rf seat next to it and be able to fold the seat. It barely folds with the coccoro/ radian combination. I've never had a vivo, so can't help you there. I've shoved a Turbobooster in there between a coccoro and a nautilus, but could barely get it to buckle and wouldn't have been able to fold the seat. That being said, if you had the Monterey in the middle it wouldn't be latched so you could just slide it out of the way to fold the seat and then put it back. Just for reference, my Flex has 2 sets of latch in the second row and 1 in the 3rd row. There are 3 top tethers in the second row and 1 in the 3rd row.

I find the leg room in the 3rd row to be a little better than average, but yes the bench is in a fixed spot. My 6' DH can ride back there without being uncomfortable, especially if he can turn a little to the side. He'd be pretty cramped if there was another person back there. I (5'1") can sit there without any trouble. I've had a nautilus and frontier 90 back there next to each other and the kids sitting in them had no trouble. My 5 year old loves it back there because he can play with the storage compartment on the side.

MyTwoSons

Thank you all for the input! We have had our 2012 Ford Flex for 4 days now and really like it!

If anyone is in the market and has questions about them, feel free to ask or message me. We did go with the bucket seats in the second row though, so I won't be any help with possible 3 across set-ups.

Thanks again! :)

nospam

Up until the 2014 models, the Acura MDX was built on the Odyssey platform and offers AWD, so it is your AWD Odyssey. Unfortunately, it costs a bit more.

MyTwoSons

Up until the 2014 models, the Acura MDX was built on the Odyssey platform and offers AWD, so it is your AWD Odyssey. Unfortunately, it costs a bit more.

Yes, we did look at the MDX....very nice vehicle! :) It was more than what we wanted to pay though, and on top of that, the Flex has a little bit more cargo space which is nice.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC