Anyone been rear ended in a mazda5?

soph's mom

I didn't think I would like the car but decided to look at it anyway. It's smaller than I thought I would want but it has great gas mileage and the capability of seating more people than most small vehicles along with the convenience of sliding doors. It also looks like it would be easy to load a child in the third row if one seat was down. I know cargo space is minimal but we are looking at selling several vehicles and purchasing a newer crew cab truck and possibly a 5...

I've read the thread concerning people's feelings on kids riding in the third row but I'm curious for real life data of child back there...

ADS

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
The Mazda 5 is no different than most other compact or midsize vehicles with a 3rd row, in terms of crush space to the rear. Fortunately, most rear-enders are relatively low speed and only one vehicle is usually moving. Occupants are at much greater risk in a side impact, in my opinion.

soph's mom

The Mazda 5 is no different than most other compact or midsize vehicles with a 3rd row, in terms of crush space to the rear. Fortunately, most rear-enders are relatively low speed and only one vehicle is usually moving. Occupants are at much greater risk in a side impact, in my opinion.

Thanks Darren, you own one correct?

We own 9 vehicles and are looking to significantly downsize and i want more current safety features... We rebuilt the top end of my volvo's engine but at over 217k miles we are waiting for the next thing to go and my grand Cherokee has about the same mileage. I really am cringing at purchasing a new vehicle but I think at the end of the model year I can walk away with one for under $20k. I'm thinking the manual trans may lengthen the life of the trans too. I know the space is going to be tighter but I don't plan on needing the third row often. Mainly for a daycare kid or two during the week and in the future maybe...

I used to move into my college rooms in my jeep wrangler so I've always been pretty good at packing. I roof box would suffice I think....

Aurezalia

*raises hand* I have! Third row was unoccupied, though. I'm not sure about speeds but it was fast enough to do significant damage to the car that hit me (entire front half was crumpled up badly, I'm thinking the car probably ended up being totaled). My 5 didn't have much damage. :) The side panel right off the bumper ended up popping out a tiny bit, and the bumper got scratched up, but that was it. Didn't even dent it in a little bit. After seeing how it handled, I have no concerns about people sitting back there. Mazda clearly thought out how the rear end would handle crash forces. (I have a feeling it's similar to the Smartcar, where they know there's not a lot of room to work with and so don't have a huge crumple zone like larger cars do.)

soph's mom

*raises hand* I have! Third row was unoccupied, though. I'm not sure about speeds but it was fast enough to do significant damage to the car that hit me (entire front half was crumpled up badly, I'm thinking the car probably ended up being totaled). My 5 didn't have much damage. :) The side panel right off the bumper ended up popping out a tiny bit, and the bumper got scratched up, but that was it. Didn't even dent it in a little bit. After seeing how it handled, I have no concerns about people sitting back there. Mazda clearly thought out how the rear end would handle crash forces. (I have a feeling it's similar to the Smartcar, where they know there's not a lot of room to work with and so don't have a huge crumple zone like larger cars do.)

This is exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! :)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC