Britax's SICT...what do you think?(and another question)

newmommy929

Ok, so what do you all think of the SICT on Britax seats, do you think they are worth it or even necessary or are they overkill? I am wondering if I will regret selling them and wish I would have kept them because of the SICT. (I will give you some backround) I also drive an '11 Odyssey that has side curtain air bags and the only place without an airbag is the "back" window.

I have been thinking about selling 2 out of my 3 Britax seats. I have someone that is possibly interested. I have 2 Advocates with manufacture dates of 2010 (forget month) and one of 2012. And a FR 85 w/SICT date of April 2012. I planned on selling the Advocate with the most life left to get more for it and the FR85. I highly planned on replacing with Britax again, but without the SICT and get a Boulevard or Pavillion and a FR90. I would keep my 21month old ERF in the older Advocate, put my 5 1/2 year old in the FR90, and then put my 3yo (was 3 in April) in the Boulevard or Pavillion.

My other question is related to my 3year old. He was ERF in our van. We had our van in the body shol for a few days so we had a loaner Honda Pilot. His Advocate would not fit RF correctly so I turned him FF. So he has been FF for like 4 days. I am conflicted at what to do. I am scared he is gonna freak out if I turn him RF again, is it worth the potential struggle? I know he has the bones of a 3year old, but he is TINY. I am talking like 32inches and 26lbs. He definately still fits RF in the Britax seat (which I know most kids outgrow early), where he probably has a GOOD 2 inches above his head if not more. If I would keep him FF, I probably wouldn't replace the Advocate he is in with another FR90.

My other "dilema" is do I get the FR90 or the Pioneer to potentially replace the FR85 and Advocate. I grow small kiddos (I feel terrible but nothing I can control). Do I "need" the height/weight of the FR90, no because my 5 1/2 year old is only 36lbs...but I do plan on keeping him harnessed for a while but not till 90lbs because he would probably be like 12. What is the differance between the FR90 and Pioneer? Does the Pioneer have the easy instalation like the FR90? What about the HUGS pads? Do you think those are necessary or overkill?

Ok, I think that is all of my questions...sorry to make this so long...but I appreciate the help...I wish these decisions were much easier! ;)

One more question

ADS

Keeks64

I'm from Canada so I can't answer specifics on the US seats , but I just bought my small 4 yo old a FR CT which I believe is the same as the US FR90 barring some weight differences.

I love love love it! My DS is 4y10m & 35lbs, 39" & very short torso. He still fits RF in a marathon so he has loads of growing room in the FRCT, He turned FF in his MA just before he turned 4 because I was 9 m pregnant & DH didn't want to keep pretzling him into the MA. The FR is overkill for him but that's fine. I love the click tight, it's beyond easy. He easily could have gone to a booster from the MA but I wanted to pass it down to the baby & I've always wanted a FR lol

As for the SCIT & the advocate air bags, I personally don't think they are necessary unless you have passengers. There rarely is anyone next to my car seats as both kids are outboard & we have advance side curtain air bags. If I was going to use them in a 3 across with a passenger not in a car seat I would likely get one for the added protection.

Me personally, would flip him back around RF at that age/ weight. I moved my DS back RF at age 2 after becoming passionate about car seat safety & realizing the benefits of ERF - he had no issues & was really happy to turn back around, he liked that his toys didn't fall & slept way better in the car! I would try until at least 4 RF if you can & have a seat that fits :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I don't think it's totally non-useful or anything, but I do think that in many vehicles it is overkill in most seating situations.

The Pioneer does NOT have the ClickTight. So if that's a selling point to you on the 90... it's not there on the Pioneer.

Now, the Pinnacle does- AND it has the SICT, if you still feel like you want that. Which it kind of sounds like you do, even if you think it's maybe overkill? If it makes you feel better and you can afford it and have room, why not go for it?

I'm a big fan of rear-facing at least to FOUR, not three. So I'd absolutely turn him right back around, and size would have nothing to do with it (other than him fitting)- age would.

Persimmon

I'm a big fan of rear-facing at least to FOUR, not three. So I'd absolutely turn him right back around, and size would have nothing to do with it (other than him fitting)- age would.

This is my thinking also. If it is only your concern about your DS being upset about going back to rear-facing, I flip my 3.5 DS back and forth. I forward face him at times when we travel--in the cabs to and from the airport and on the plane. I rear-face him in the rental car and then when we get back home again. My DH was worried about him pitching fits also. He has done just fine. :D I explain to him that he will go back to RF when we get home and in the rental car. He has been brainwashed about RF. It really helped to show him pics in other people's siggies of older boys RF. I try to sell RF to him--like astronauts, etc---but ultimately it is just non-negotiable like brushing your teeth. Maybe try giving him a new super cool toy if you rear-face again to distract him initially.

bnsnyde

We have the 2011 Odyssey and just got a Frontier90. I wanted the Pinnacle but it would not fit 3 across. I do not believe in overkill when it comes to carseats. :)

We have an Advocate in the 3rd row RF, and the child is 27 months. Love it!!!

I think the Advocate could work well for us FF, too. My kids are tall and the 2 YO doesn't have too much room left RF.

The child who is turning 7 has one more slot on the Frontier90.
I have always loved the SICT technology and the deep shell that I find in the Advocate, coupled with headwings that have foam. A lot of times brands boast side impact protection but the seat is so shallow. So, we've been very happy with the Advocate and even the Frontier 90. My younger kids can fit in it, too. It's a versatile seat for us.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC