Trip to the DR

shinaynay17

I wanted to surprise my dh with a trip to the Dominican Republic. This is where his entire family lives. So I want to bring all the kids with us. I was thinking of going in January. So my questions are, will they let me bring 4 kids my oldest will be 2.5, the twins will be 1.5 and the baby will be 2 months? As well do the guide 65's fit on planes? I have 3 and thought they would be easiest to bring plus an infant carrier. I'm really hoping to be able to do this trip cause it would really be nice for his family to meet our kids!!

ADS

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Hi! Will your husband be traveling with you? Airlines usually say no more than 2 children under 2 per adult, when they have a policy about it. So if there will be 2 of you, that shouldn't be a problem... The Guide is fairly narrow, right? You will probably be able to make that work...

shinaynay17

Yep he will be coming as well. The guide 65 narrow. I can fit a 3 across with 2 guide 65's and a radian in my trail blazer. I was really hoping that they would allow 2 children per person! His family has only ever met the kids through Skype so I think it would be the perfect Christmas gift for him.

Would it be better to pay the extra for a direct flight instead of going and doing transfers in between? It's a 8 hour flight for direct and a 16 hour with transfers. I used to do the one way with transfers but I'm thinking with the LO it might be a bit more difficult.

How do u keep kids distracted on planes? My kids usually sleep really well on car rides we make a 6 hour trip once a month and they sleep the whole way. Does anyone find kids sleep worse on planes then in cars?

jnamommy

With littles, I would say a direct flight is better. For me, I have found that the getting on and off of the plane is a PITA. Diret flight is less on/off, less schlepping through the airport, etc.

On the airplane, bring snacks, and some new to them toys and books. Wikki Stix were one thing that worked great for us with littles and entertained them for a while.

shinaynay17

Definitely will do the non stop flight. I will go shopping for some toys for the flights and so they have toys while they are down in the Dominican.

Also I'm gonna guess that if I bring my nice stroller it's gonna get wrecked on the flights. Is there a fairly cheap priced stroller that would be good to get. I see the joovy stroller for 3 kids might be a good one for this trip. Especially if I can put the bucket on one spot and the twins in the other with dd on a leash. I can see if I can get one for cheap second hand. Anyone ever had one of those kind of strollers? I know it won't be as nice as my valco tri mode but just for a month and through an airport do they handle nicely?

Is there a easy way to transport the other 3 car seats through the airport?

Sorry for all the questions I just really wanna be as prepared as I can for this journey!

shinaynay17

I do have a graco single stroller from when I bought dd's travel system. I could find that and put it together and someone gave me an older double graco stroller that got stashed away after I used it once for a walk on gravel and it didn't push nicely. Think those would do. Can you attach a car seat with a bungee or something to the the backs?? Maybe one of the go go kidz for one of us to pull the last car seat on? Can I put my oldest daughter in the car seat then as I'm walking.

I'm thinking all I will need for the plane trip will be diapers, wipes, toys, and snacks. Maybe books for me and hubby. Does that seem under packed for the plane trip? Maybe kids Tylenol or something. Do kids ears usually hurt when the plane takes off? How can I help with that isn't cups over the ears supposed to help?

I think I might be over thinking this!!! Or maybe I was under thinking when I planned a trip so far away with such little kids:(

Mommy!

Also you probably need to make sure you are on a flight with three seats on one side of the aisle (aisle, centre, window seats). Child seats normally need to be installed in the window seat so as not to block other passengers from exiting quickly, and a parent needs to be seated next to the child seat to be able to release the child quickly in an emergency. Most airlines allow two child seats in window/centre seats with parent in aisle, but double check with the airline you plan to fly with. You and your family would basically need 2 three seat rows.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC