US carseat install in Australia

krijkee

Anyone know about installing a Diono Radian, Frontier 85 in Australia?

I will also have a safety 1st onboard Air 35 I will be using when there.

Anything I should know about installing them. They will be going into new cars, a Subaru Forrester or Rav 4 mainly.

My husband usually does the installation here, so I'm going to need to learn as he won't be with me at first.

Anyone have any idea?

ADS

AK Dad

I'm guessing you already know this, but it is technically illegal to use non-Auzzie carseats there. I personally would risk the fine if it were me, but I have no idea how vigorously they enforce that law. Also not sure if they'd just give you a ticket and let you drive off, or if they'd stop you in your tracks and not let you leave.

As for the actual install, it should't be an different than in the US for those vehicles you cited. I know the Forrester can be tough to get a good install on the Radian since the anchoring point of the outboard rear seat belts is significantly forward of the seat bight. A long belt path install on the FR85 should solve the problem, but I recently had to just accept being slightly over the lower LATCH limits to get an acceptable install of the Radian (FF'd) in an '03 Forrester while on a trip. If it's one made after Sept 05 of course the SuperLATCH allows use all the way up to the 80lb limit of the seat.

creideamh

I can pretty much guarantee you won't get 3 across in a Forester with a Frontier. You'd be lucky to get 3 Radians across, honestly. :(

Like PP said, it's illegal to use US seats in Australia, but I think you knew that already (if you're the person I'm thinking of!)

Any chance you could get a bigger car (or different seats)? I don't know about the Rav4- for all I know, that might be more workable with 3 across.

krijkee

I do realize I won't get 3 across, unfortunately.

We will just be taking 2 cars everywhere until I can buy a car.

The illegal thing I know about too, but the seats there just aren't as safe, if you ask me! willing to take the risk!

creideamh

Oh, good on the 2 cars thing!

I have a Radian in a '10 Forester right now installed with seatbelt (LATCH limit RF is 48lb seat+child.) Make sure you have an angle adjuster. I find the FF install using seatbelt in the newer body Foresters pretty easy with the recline foot popped out.

Never tried to put the FR85 in there, but DD's infant seat for awhile was an OnBoard 35 Air. I had no issues installing it with the seatbelt (using base's lockoff.)

If you can't tell, I prefer seatbelt installs in the Forester. ;) Sometimes LATCH works fine, but the anchors are buried in little holes with fabric pieces you have to undo to access them. It's just more trouble than it's usually worth, IMO (unless a seatbelt install just won't work.) Obviously ours is an American Forester, but I imagine most of the car will be the same in Australia.

HTH! :)

AK Dad

The illegal thing I know about too, but the seats there just aren't as safe, if you ask me! willing to take the risk!

Totally agree with you on that! The Aussies talk a big game, and I think they were pretty far ahead of the curve back in the '70s and '80s, but not so much anymore. I was just reading some stuff about their "new" standards that will "allow" RFing "up to" 30 months ... :rolleyes:

krijkee

It's so scary when they turn them so young!

Back in the day (8 or so years ago), my sisters turned my nephews at 5 months of age :-( so dangerous, I think. I've seen so many pictures on Facebook of friends with kids and one of the straps falling off because its too loose and no chest clip. I'm scared for them.

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
Be aware that in newer (post 06 or so) model years RAV4, you CANNOT put 3 car seats in the second row because the seatbelts overlap.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC