Best car seat/travel system?

Mom2girls

A friend of mine is having a baby, and although she'd rather have a Radian (she loves my Princesses!), I tried to install it in her car without any success. Her car just doesn't have the room in the backseat. So she's decided to go with a car seat that goes into a stroller (I have no idea what they're called - travel systems? I never had one) and I told her I'd ask you experts for recommendations.

The priority would, of course, be the carseat. What do you recommend?

ADS

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Of those listed in the pp, only the Graco Safeseat is available in Canada.

The Graco SafeSeat1 is an excellent choice.

What is the vehicle year/make/model?

I don't like seeing babies in infant seats longer than they need to be. I would start researching strollers and ask herself some basic questions.

1. Where will I use a stroller? Malls, outdoors, grass, gravel, paved streets?

2. What room do I have in my vehicle for storing a stroller?

3. Is it important to have baby face me in the stroller?

4. Is weight/steering an important factor? Do I have arthritis, bad joints?

5. Is the owner of the stroller tall or short?

All of these questions will get her thinking about which stroller is right for her. The majority of strollers these days will accept an infant seat in them to make a travel system. This is great for those quick five minute trips in/out of the store, but you will definitely want a stroller that reclines flat for a newborn or a wrap/snuggly/bjorn for carrying the baby in.

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
I'd agree with the Safeseat 1 from Graco, just because it fits kids longer, is easy to install in vehicles with a seatbelt (has a built in lock-off on the base, so no need for locking clips with older vehicles,) they all come with front adjusters as opposed to some snugrides that still have back adjusters, and you can get it on sale for about the same price as a front adjust snugride.

The safeseat is compatible with all Graco strollers too, and most if not all of the other brands that will accept graco infant carriers will accept a safeseat carrier as well.

So basically what Jen said, she may be happier buying the car seat and stroller separately depending on her needs. She may also want to take into account trunk space for the stroller as some of them are quite bulky when folded. :)

(What kind of car does your friend drive, would it be possible to install it in the middle and then the top of the radian would just go between the vehicle seatbacks? I had one in a nissan sentra this way a few weeks ago and it was pretty much a newborn angle. She'd most likely have to use the seatbelt in the middle, but should be able to get a good install there I'd think. Although she'll probably appreciate having an infant carrier when the weather is cold.)

Mom2girls

Of those listed in the pp, only the Graco Safeseat is available in Canada.

The Graco SafeSeat1 is an excellent choice.

What is the vehicle year/make/model?

I don't like seeing babies in infant seats longer than they need to be. I would start researching strollers and ask herself some basic questions.

1. Where will I use a stroller? Malls, outdoors, grass, gravel, paved streets?

2. What room do I have in my vehicle for storing a stroller?

3. Is it important to have baby face me in the stroller?

4. Is weight/steering an important factor? Do I have arthritis, bad joints?

5. Is the owner of the stroller tall or short?

All of these questions will get her thinking about which stroller is right for her. The majority of strollers these days will accept an infant seat in them to make a travel system. This is great for those quick five minute trips in/out of the store, but you will definitely want a stroller that reclines flat for a newborn or a wrap/snuggly/bjorn for carrying the baby in.

I couldn't agree with you more, and I actually asked her all those questions myself yesterday as we were discussing car seats and strollers. Until we had a good discussion, she was adamant about getting a carseat/stroller system, and I'd been telling her it was unnecessary.

She's got a Mazda 3 (I think) and it's got absolutely no room in the back. Since realistically an infant seat is the only option for her car, they'll be using it until the baby's about 6 months, at which time they'll be buying a more roomy vehicle. They'll be purchasing a Radian at that time.

I've got several different wraps, slings and Mei Teis that I demo'd for her yesterday to show her she really doesn't need a huge contraption to carry her little baby in... we'll see. I'll mention the SS1 to her (does anybody know where it's stocked?) and go from there...

Mom2girls

(What kind of car does your friend drive, would it be possible to install it in the middle and then the top of the radian would just go between the vehicle seatbacks? I had one in a nissan sentra this way a few weeks ago and it was pretty much a newborn angle. She'd most likely have to use the seatbelt in the middle, but should be able to get a good install there I'd think. Although she'll probably appreciate having an infant carrier when the weather is cold.)

Nope - that's the first thing I tried. She and DH are both so tall they need the front seats back as far as possible...leaving no room in the back. There's not enough room in between the seats to accomodate the car seat either. Honestly, that Mazda is not at all car-seat friendly, and I wonder how either of them will be able to fit in there comfortably to take baby in and out!

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
We have a MazdaSpeed3 and there is *no* way the Radian is fitting back there in either of the outboard positions. :p

It may fit center with the back up between the front seats. Did you try center? It won't fit center in my Speed because of the way the front seats are sculpted... fairly wide recaro seats replace the normal mazda3 seats in the front. They prevent it from coming through the front seats, but it may work in the regular mazda3 to come through the front seats when installed in the center position. You are also allowed to borrow outboard anchors for a center install in this vehicle, just fyi.

If she's only going to use the infant seat for 6 months, then I'd probably go with a Snugride with front adjuster. Be careful, not all snugrides come with front adjuster.

Both seats can be found at baby specialty stores, toys r us, sears... just to name a few.

I also think she'd really like the safeseat though. Super easy to install and will come in real handy during our coooolllld winters. ;) As the baby gets older she can lower the foot on the base (that helps you get a 45 degree angle for newborns) and have a more upright install that is more comfy for baby.

Keep in mind also, that just because you have an infant seat, that does *not* mean you have to take it out of the vehicle. If you don't want to carry it around, leave it in the car and treat it like a convertible.

This is one of the reasons I love the Safeseat. It gets most kids up to 18 months - 2 years old and if you want/need the convenience of the carrier, it's there waiting for you. Otherwise you treat it like a convertible and leave it in the car.

In another year or so, there could be much nicer seats/options on the market and she could get a super nice convertible at that time.

Mom2girls

It may fit center with the back up between the front seats. Did you try center? It won't fit center in my Speed because of the way the front seats are sculpted... fairly wide recaro seats replace the normal mazda3 seats in the front..

She's got the same seats as you - no room for the Radian between the seats.

SS1 is "the one" then, unless she can convince her DH to buy a new vehicle before the baby comes to accomodate the more versatile Radian.

Thanks ladies!:love:

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
FWIW, I have four Radian Premier's and I would still prefer an infant carrier (the SS1) if I was having another one. I love the versatility of it. I need it for our cold winters, but especially since I have a child in Kindergarten. All the in/out we have to do is much easier if the baby can be left in a carrier. :)

cantech

Unless I missed something in my read through (which is possible)...they could always use the Radian on the passenger side and have the other adult occupant in the rear with the baby. Provided however there is enough room behind the drivers seat for another adult.

Just food for thought.

Belinda

CDNTech

Senior Community Member
Aiden complains there is not enough leg room when dh is driving. Aiden is 5.5 yrs old and sits in a FFing Radian. Dh is 6'3" and sits with the seat all the way back. :D An adult wouldn't be super comfortable with the leg room back there. ;)

shauburg

SS1 is "the one" then, unless she can convince her DH to buy a new vehicle before the baby comes to accomodate the more versatile Radian.
FWIW, I have four Radian Premier's and I would still prefer an infant carrier (the SS1) if I was having another one. I love the versatility of it. I need it for our cold winters, but especially since I have a child in Kindergarten. All the in/out we have to do is much easier if the baby can be left in a carrier. :)

I also agree with Jen that even if they get a new vehicle before baby arrives, she may still want to go with an infant carrier car seat (SS1) to start.

I've had all the options available to me - we have an infant carrier car seat (Snugride), a convertible car seat (Radian Premier) and a some good carriers for babywearing (wraps, Ergo, Beco). Leaving the car seat in the car and babywearing is best in some situations, but leaving baby in the car seat and bringing the seat with you is best in others. For example:
- For meals out at restaurants, the infant seat is great so that you can eat without fear of burning baby!
- When baby is sleeping in the car you don't have to wake them up by moving them out of their seat to bring them inside.
- For when the weather is cold, I am particular about not putting more than regular clothing and a fleece jacket on my baby under the harness straps. With an infant seat, you can do this, then put the blankets & shower cap style covers over baby and take baby out to the car - easy and baby does not get chilled!. With a convertible, you would have to bundle baby into warmer clothes/blankets, take baby to car, remove extra clothes/blankets, place baby into car seat (baby may get chilled unless car is pre-warmed) and then place the blankets over top.

I know you did not have an infant seat, so I thought I'd bring up some of the advantages I found to using mine. Not to mention, the SS1 would buy them time to wait and see if any other exciting new convertibles come on the market in a couple of years!

I'll mention the SS1 to her (does anybody know where it's stocked?) and go from there...

BRU has one on sale right now - French Roast - SafeSeat Infant Car Seat

I agree with what others said about the stroller. She should pick the stroller that works best for her and is compatible with the Graco SS1. I got the one that went with our Snugride because it was cheap (last year's model) and I did not know better at the time. But now for us, I don't think it was the best stroller choice. I think I want a high-end umbrella stroller now and maybe a good jogger too!

That said, if the best stroller for her needs does end up being the Graco one that matches her seat, it's on sale at BRU too! - French Roast - Quattro Tour LXI Deluxe Stroller . However, then she might as well just go with the Graco Travel System that's on sale now, as it's a better deal - Bermuda - Quattro Tour Travel System . No wonder new parents feel overwhealmed!!!

snowbird25ca

Moderator - CPST Instructor
Sorry I didn't get back to your where to buy question earlier. :eek:

Sears also carries them, and they are sometimes part of their $30 off car seat sale. If you get it on one of the weekends with a Saturday early bird special of $20 off, you can get one for $140 plus tax. (That's what I did.. poor dh going to Sears at 7am. :p)

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC