Does the Maestro really only harness to 47lbs? - Canada

Maritime Mummy

I am looking at some options for my kids. Both are FF, my son is 2 and 33 lbs, my daughter is 3.5 and 32 lbs. Son rides in a True Fit now, and daughter rides in an older style Triumph that goes to 47lbs.

So I'm looking at the Maestro for both of them. Seems like a good, all-around seat with good reviews. Though I just noticed it only harnesses to 47lbs...? Really? What do you do after that? What if my kids are too young to use a seat belt?

I am also wondering how "comfy" these seats are. After each of them has had seats which were cushy, I am worried about putting them in seats that provides little cushioning.

Also, is it a low-profile seat?

ADS

Baylor

Re: Does the Maestro really only harness to 47lbs?

I thought that the Maestro harnessed to 50 lbs..

I went with the Nautilus because they harnessed to 65lbs and then I ended up buying a Frontier 85 because my son was huge and I wanted to make sure he would have a harness until 5. HE is 5.5 now and is booster riding 90% of the time in a monterey and does awesome!

To maybe figure out how old you want to introduce boosters at and then work from there.

Jeanum

Admin - CPS Technician Emeritus
Staff member
Of note, the OP is in Canada where some Canadian certified carseats have different weight limits than the U.S. certified counterpart model. Moving this thread over to the Canadian forum now to help quell the confusion over any differences in carseats' limits and/or availability of alternative models in Canada.:)

amyd

Yes, the Maestro harnesses to 47lbs. More than adequate for a lot of kids and a nice light, inexpensive, easy to install seat. I own one. That said, I personally don't use it as a main seat for any of my children. You're right, OP, it isn't very cushy. My son never complained about it but again, we only have used it sporadically and I mostly use it for other kids that I have with me or in our second vehicle. If you're concerned about it not lasting long enough for you, I'd encourage you to consider the Graco Nautilus instead. I believe it's on sale somewhere this week...Walmart online maybe? Not sure if the stores have the same price or not. It's $187 or something similar, IIRC.

Maritime Mummy

Of note, the OP is in Canada where some Canadian certified carseats have different weight limits than the U.S. certified counterpart model. Moving this thread over to the Canadian forum now to help quell the confusion over any differences in carseats' limits and/or availability of alternative models in Canada.:)

Oh sorry! I didn't realize there was another forum for Canadians. I've been posting for a short time now and I wasn't aware. Sorry!

creideamh

I'm popping over here...considering a Canadian seat to leave at my best friend's house (we go up a few times a year.)

What would be the benefits of the Maestro over the new Chase (at Sears, Canadian Tire?) They both harness to 47lb and have the same top slots, correct? But the Chase is cheaper...

smackeen

I am pretty sure the new ones at walmart harness to 50lbs. :shrug-shoulders:

At least the ones in the past few months. Will have to check next time I am in.

nannykates

I think your son will be most comfortable in the triumph with the braces (remembering from other threads). Is there a reason you want them in the same seat? Wasn't the point of the nautilus to give more of a weight limit to work with?

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
What would be the benefits of the Maestro over the new Chase (at Sears, Canadian Tire?) They both harness to 47lb and have the same top slots, correct? But the Chase is cheaper...

The Canadian Chase (also possibly called the SecureKid 100, available at Sears and Canadian Tire) harnesses to only 40lbs. It's not quite as tall as the Maestro. There is no overlap in weight between harness and booster and a child may easily reach the 40lb harness limit but not yet be tall enough for the booster minimum (in addition to being immature, for example). This thread has details about all of its specs: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=233014&highlight=securekid

I am pretty sure the new ones at walmart harness to 50lbs. :shrug-shoulders:

At least the ones in the past few months. Will have to check next time I am in.

The newer Walmart Maestros are 50lbs, but that's new, just as of spring 2013. I don't know if BRU or Sears also carry the 50lb model or it's just taking longer to clear out the 47lb ones or what. But the Maestro has been 47lbs in Canada for ages until just recently. If that 3lbs extra matters then read the box carefully and don't necessarily believe an ad in a store or online as they are notoriously wrong.

creideamh

Pixelated said:
The Canadian Chase (also possibly called the SecureKid 100, available at Sears and Canadian Tire) harnesses to only 40lbs. It's not quite as tall as the Maestro. There is no overlap in weight between harness and booster and a child may easily reach the 40lb harness limit but not yet be tall enough for the booster minimum (in addition to being immature, for example). This thread has details about all of its specs: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=233014&highlight=securekid

Thank you!! Sears.ca says 47lb and Evenflo doesn't have a separate Canadian website (at least not that I can find), hence my confusion. :rolleyes: So you pretty much don't recommend it at all? I know all Canadian boosters are 40lb minimum which DD won't hit til about age 5.5 it looks like, but she has an average torso length (13.5" right now at age 2.5.)

canadiangie

The old Chase with the on-harness adjuster mechanism allowed for harnessed use up to 47 pounds. It had 16ish top harness slots, and made a crappy booster. I'm not sure if its still in production, though. ??

Pixelated

Moderator - CPST Instructor
The old Chase with the on-harness adjuster mechanism allowed for harnessed use up to 47 pounds. It had 16ish top harness slots, and made a crappy booster. I'm not sure if its still in production, though. ??

I don't think it is -- the confusion (I think!) is that the SecureKid 100 is now being called the Chase but it's not the same seat. See that link above where we discussed it extensively. It would be a reasonably good seat for those lightweight petite kids who will hit 40lbs without being overly tall, and be booster ready at the same time.

tam_shops

Thinking OP might go with something else, but for anyone else reading, I wouldn't worry about the 47# weight limit on the Canadian Maestro if you have skinny kids.

My short/skinny 7yo, is just now getting too tall for the Maestro. Last time I weighed him he was just over 45#. So, skinny kids will be too tall before too heavy. By the time your child is old enough for the Maestro, you should have a pretty good idea if they are skinny, average or heavy and can get the Graco nautilus if they are average and perhaps the Frontier (or one of the new replacement versions) if your child is heavy...I'm a sucker for a sale, so would probably get a clearance Frontier right now! :dance:

tam

Maritime Mummy

I think your son will be most comfortable in the triumph with the braces (remembering from other threads). Is there a reason you want them in the same seat? Wasn't the point of the nautilus to give more of a weight limit to work with?

No, I don't think I ever said I could put him in the Triumph since the weight limit goes to 47lbs as well, and with the braces, shoes, clothing, etc he will be about 45 already. He'll get no time out of the Triumph.

I am not 100% decided on anything. I am keeping my options open but after this thread, the Maestro doesn't seem like a good option for either of my kids.

I was hoping for something affordable to upgrade both my kids and be done with it, but it sounds like the Maestro isn't comfortable enough for every day use for long trips.

Sounds like my best bet would be to wait until the Nautilus comes on super sale somewhere. The Nautilus is my #1 choice but it's *so* expensive, even at $189 at wal mart right now :-(

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC