How long will a CCO last me?

actuallyamanda

Now that we're expecting again, I'm dying to get my hands on a CCO but I really need to be practical about which seat I buy. I don't want to have to buy a new seat within a year or two after the baby is born. The good news is that I tend to have small kids. For example, my 5yr old DS is only 35lbs with a 15" torso. All of my kids have been small like this until they hit a growth spurt around 8yrs old. So, how long will this seat last? If it would last me 3 or 4 years then I'll definitely buy one.

Also, 2 out of my 3 kids were born premature. DS was only 4lbs 6oz when we left the hospital with him. We're going to try to keep that from happening this time around but apparently my kids are just impatient and want to be born early LOL

ADS

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
It would fit your kids at birth, and goes rear facing to a solid 2T shirt for most kids.

Wendy

Stelvis

My daughter is in 2T shirts and would have outgrown a CCO months ago. I would say it last to an 18-24 month shirt if you're lucky.

gigi

My daughter is in 2T shirts and would have outgrown a CCO months ago. I would say it last to an 18-24 month shirt if you're lucky.

My newly 2 year old daughter is in mostly 3t shirts and has a few inches above her head still on the CCO, and has about 4" above her head in the Boulevard for comparison. I think room in the CCO varies a lot depending on the fit with the vehicle seat.

Stelvis

I think shirt size also has a lot to do with the width of the child, and brand variation, and isn't necessarily a reliable indicator of torso height. For comparison my DD has about 1.5" over her head in the BLVD. FWIW I'm talking mostly Carter's shirts.

actuallyamanda

It sounds promising then. I know DS was still in 2T shirts well after his 3rd birthday. I should just hope for another little kid :)

gigi

That is totally true. There are so many factors. My older kid would have outgrown the CCO by 18 months because he has a GIANT head. The little one has 13-14" torso and average head now at age 2. Another factor is chub. A chubby baby will have less room because their chub will push them up, same goes for cloth diapers. Mine is rail skinny...never had even one roll. She is 2t-3t in Carter's depending on the cut, she is very narrow but very tall.

Last edited:

xursusmaritimusx

if you have short torso'd kids with average sized heads then i would be willing to guess between 2.5-3 years rear facing and slightly longer forward facing?

my son is 20 months, 23lbs and 30". hes small for his age and he has about 4" above his head. he has a short torso and wears 12 mo onesies from carters.

for comparison he is coming right up to the 1" mark on the SR35. i'd estimate he has a few weeks to a couple months left in it.

i have LOVED having the CCO. i wanted one badly when DD was a baby but it came out when she was already close to outgrowing it.
im going to be very very very sad when my son outgrows it RF. I love traveling with it.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC