The NEW new Graco buckle

whiteyacht

So I finally got around to reporting my buckle sticking issues to NHTSA. We actually had issues with the old style, wrote to Graco, were sent the new style, and just lived with that one sticking occasionally. But I finally made the report because I was paranoid that it would be stuck in an emergency. NHTSA advised me to contact Graco again because there were some changes made to the new buckle at the end of 2012. Let me tell you, customer service asks a lot fewer questions when you say, "The NHTSA told me to ask you..." :)

Anyway, got the new buckle, old ones sent to NHTSA, and I've got to say I'm quite happy with it. No sticking, easy to open, and my newly 5yo can finally buckle himself. I will post a pic next time we go somewhere, because the button looks slightly recessed compared to my old new style. I don't know if that is a problem or defect? But it seems to be working fine.

I'm so happy they have addressed this because I badly wanted a MySize for when baby outgrows his bucket, but I didn't want to deal with the awful buckle!

Sent from my phone. Please excuse typos.

ADS

SavsMom

That's great news.
I actually bought a KeyFit just because of the buckle being easier. Now I may have to look at the Click Connect again :)

Kecia

Admin - CPST Instructor
Yeah, the newer buckles of this style are definitely easier to operate than the older ones (clearly some running changes have been made to the internal components of this particular Amsafe buckle) but they're still far from easy and I still don't care for them. But they are definitely less horrible than they used to be.

MommyShannon

Oh that is good. Can't wait to hear more! I've been so tempted to get DD2 a MyRide even though I prefer rebound control, I'm not as set on it in the middle row. The buckle is what dissuaded me. Then again I shouldn't be buying new seats!

whiteyacht

Yeah, the newer buckles of this style are definitely easier to operate than the older ones (clearly some running changes have been made to the internal components of this particular Amsafe buckle) but they're still far from easy and I still don't care for them. But they are definitely less horrible than they used to be.

Agreed, it's still not as easy as, say, the buckles on our Dorel seats. But so much better than before.

HaileysMommy

So I have a Graco DOM in 2012 I should probably call and get a new buckle sent out? I just got this seat so I haven't used it but I don't want the buckle to stick in an emergency!

whiteyacht

So I have a Graco DOM in 2012 I should probably call and get a new buckle sent out? I just got this seat so I haven't used it but I don't want the buckle to stick in an emergency!

What month? The NHTSA told me it was updated in December. But I know people before then have said they had no problems. I'd use it for a bit to see if it has any issues.

rodentranger

Is this applicable only only infant seats? My 6 yo can't unbuckle his Nauti because one side sticks so bad. He can unbuckle every other seat I have. I guess I'll call Graco on Monday.

Kac

Ambassador - CPS Technician
It looks the same as (or incredibly similar to) my 6/11 DOM Nautilus.

kidzndogz

My friend got a Nautilus for her daughter that has a 3/2013 DOM and she called me freaking out that she couldn't get her kid out when in the parking lot at her OB office. This is ridiculous.

whiteyacht

Dang. I bet they updated the buckle, but still used plenty of the older new ones for seats in production. Contact Graco, y'all, the newer buckle is a lot better! Not perfect, but better.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC