Does my size affect car seat I should use on plane?

U

Unregistered

I will be flying alone with my then 14 month old at end of July for a 2 hour flight (one way). I have been researching which car seat to use on the plane, it will also be the car seat used in the car during our 1 week trip. I see the Cosco Scenera mentioned many times.

My concern is my size. I am a large woman. I can sit in an airplane seat with the armrests down but am much more comfortable with them up. I do require a seatbelt extender. My hips and bottom are very wide.

Is the Scenera still the best bet or is there another seat, a more narrow seat, that I should look into? What is it like to fly next to a car seat? Is a normal sized person squished?

Thanks for any input.

ADS

Carrie_R

Ambassador - CPS Technician
Welcome!

The Scenera is a relatively compact seat. I have not flown with one, but the only other seats I might consider would be a Radian or a Coccoro. Both are not inexpensive, but would give you more space, especially if installed rear-facing.

Hopefully someone with more experience can give you better advice. :)

unityco

Ambassador - CPS Technician
I'm pretty wide myself. :eek: I've sat beside an Evenflo Titan relatively comfortably on a plane, which I'd say is quite comparable in size to the Scenera. We flew the most with a Radian which is a great seat for travel, though heavy and expensive.

Since the widest part of the carseat is above adult hip level, it's usually not too bad to sit next to one.

HTH :)

ketchupqueen

CPST and ketchup snob
Staff member
I'm fairly large too, and will say that a rear-facing seat gives you MUCH more room than a forward-facing one! I was more comfortable with sitting next to a rear-facing Complete Air (which is wide enough that the armrest must be stowed up to fit it) than I was sitting next to a forward-facing Radian (which is narrow enough that the armrests can be put down) because I had room to "sprawl" more sideways with the rear-facing seat, and could kind of angle sideways as needed since there was nothing taking up space in the spot right next to me except at the bottom of the seat cushion.

joolsplus3

Admin - CPS Technician
Evenflo Tribute is also a nice small choice, and I find it a bit easier to install in a car than the Scenera (It has a nice recline flip-foot that fills the space under the foot area of the seat, the Scenera has a big open gap, so you have to push the seat really hard into the seatback to maintain it's recline, or stuff a large towel or noodle or rolled blanket under it). It also has a nicer belt path than the scenera, more room to stick your hand and seatbelt through it (Scenera is kind of small and sharp...).

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC