I'm confused...do we like the new Recaro's?

steph

So what is the feeling on them? It seems like they may be a love/hate thing. Do you think the Signo will be better?

ADS

squirtsmum

I have had mine for about 3 weeks now and I like it for my 5 yo son. The only thing that I don't like are the thin straps that I have to be very careful with. I don't know why they cannot have straps like my MA that would never twist.

I have not tried to install it RF and don't know if I would like it with the head wings and no tether but since I do not have to worry about that I like the seat fine. Here are a few pictures of my son in the seat.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

southpawboston

it's hard to say. i don't think that i love it OR hate it... it's that the information about it has been confusing and contradictory. for example, if the 34" rule end up being absolute and unbendable, then i will hate it because for all its high weight capability, i doubt my DD would get past 30 lbs in it. if that rule ends up being more discretionary, and i can keep my DD in it until the full 35 lbs, then i will probably love it. i don't actually care too much about the lack of RF tethering.

LuvBug

Itll depend on how they decide to reword the manual... if that is what they are doing :rolleyes:

Ive not seen one IRL yet but I dont find anything I dont like about it... yet. Id be comfortable using it without headwings if my older child happen to still be in the 2nd slots, and I would be fine using it past 34". I dont mind that it doesnt have a RFing tether. So I havent found anything I didnt like about it from just looking online. Im very happy to see it has tall top slots, in my book that is a winner ;)

-Mom to a way too long torsod boy :p

arly1983

Except for the twisty straps, I like it forward-facing...

There are some little things (i.e. needs pool noodle, high on base) that I don't like RFing but no deal breakers....

The only deal breakers for me RFing would be if I had to use the head rest and the 34 in Rfing limit.

Oh, and so far, I have installed it in a 97 F-150, 04 Freestar, 05 Maxima, 04 Ford 500, 04 Camry, and 00 Accord and no problems with install yet. Actually, this is one of the few seats that I prefer a belt install to a latch install.

ZephyrBlue

There are things that I love about this seat- it feels so sturdy (and I'm a Britax gal, so I"m used to higher-end seats) and the deep side wings are great. It sits up REALLY high on the base, and it was a pain to get my 2.5yo toddler in/out of the seat RF when we had it installed in my 05 Grand Caravan (we didn't actually use it, though, just installed it and sat him in it). I did need a noodle to get it installed RF, and it was a more difficult install than a Britax convertible in my vehicle, but once it was in, I was very pleased w/the result. The FF lock offs are GREAT! Way better than Britax, IMO. The deal breakers for us are the 34" RF height- I've talked w/Recaro's Program Manager/engineer twice and they are just not ready to give up that 34" rule as of yet. The head bolsters being mandatory or strongly suggested, depending on whom you talk to, and when ;), are a big issue as my DS hates them, and is in the 2nd from the bottom slot RF. I'm not as concerned re: the RF tether as I was before, but I do admit to liking my RF-tethered Britax seats more- I don't want to be missing the safety of the tether if it's really going to make a difference in a collision, kwim?

DH was turned off by all of the confusion and the different answers we've gotten from the company re: the issues above. We are returning the Como and I bought another BLVD instead. But I am hoping to buy a Signo when they've been out for awhile, depending on what happens. I won't necessarily feel safer just because they re-word the manual, either- safe is safe, regardless of what's written in the manual. And I'm way more concerned w/how the seat is going to perform than the liability that they're going to avoid by how the manual gets worded. Even the CEO is saying that the Como was tested with a 34" dummy- which, according to our techs on this board, doesn't even exist :confused: I really think they're going to be top of the line seats, and once they get the details worked out, I'll definately be buying one in the future.

Last edited:

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC