Convertible Seat for Newborn / Infant?

murphysmommy

Just wondering if anyone has had a great experience putting their newborn into a convertible seat from the start... The seats look so big but with the Radian and Recaro starting out at 5 lbs, it sure is tempting to buy just one seat and keep it through preschool. Thanks for any opinions you may have!

ADS

Defrost

Moderator - CPSTI Emeritus
It seems like a lot of people aren't comfortable with it, but it never bothered me. My youngest rode in a Britax Roundabout right from the start. She was 7 some-odd pounds at birth (good grief, can you tell she was my fourth?!) She didn't go anywhere until she was two weeks old, though (homebirth), but she was still less than 8 pounds at that time.

wendytthomas

Admin - CPST Instructor
Staff member
Piper was 7#13oz at birth with a long torso and fit well into a Britax Advantage. Not perfectly, the slots were above her shoulders, but fairly well.

Just because it says 5# doesn't mean a small baby will fit. The Radian and Scenera are good for little babies, they have very low bottom slots. The Britaxes and Recaros not so much because they have 10" bottom slots. So it depends what convertible.

Wendy

murphysmommy

Hmmm...I wouldn't mind buying a second Radian (although the new Recaro's look so much cooler). Perhaps I can borrow my friend's 4 mo old to try it out (but at 16#'s, he's hardly a newborn!). Thanks for your help! I'm still debating...

safeinthecar

Moderator - CPS Technician
I have a demo doll, the kind used by hospitals to teach parents of preemies how to tube feed, that is atomically correct for a 3lb 15 inch preemie.

It fits very well in the Radian, and good enough in the Triumph A and the Scenera.

Kimberly

dd9736

My DS was 5lbs 6oz when he was born 4-15 when we left the hospital, and would IMO have never fit in a convertable to my comfort. even at 8months and 16lbs he didn't fit in the eddie bauer 3in1 even though it says it's good at 5lbs. the same day we tried him in a Radian though and was on the 2nd slots. We still have to support DS' head when he falls asleep in the radian though, so without the infant head support, you probably don't want to use it for a newborn.

Shaunam

How soon do you need to make a decision? I'm due soon and will be taking pics of my newborn in the triumph advance and the scenera to post here so people can see. :D

BeanJeepin

I wish I'd taken pics, we went to dinner with DS2 in a RF Decathlon (after calling Britax to ask about the above-shoulder strap positioning) at 11 hours old. He was 8 lbs 1 oz, 21" at birth. He seemed comfortable in it and we were happy with the fit.

CandCfam

Just wondering if anyone has had a great experience putting their newborn into a convertible seat from the start... The seats look so big but with the Radian and Recaro starting out at 5 lbs, it sure is tempting to buy just one seat and keep it through preschool. Thanks for any opinions you may have!

So long as the bottom slots are low enough, there is nothing wrong with starting with a convertible.
I do want to point out though, that the Radian or the Recaro Como or Signo would last you passed the preschool years. The Recaro seats are good for 6 years from DOM, and they have 19" top slots and a 70 lbs FF weight limit. The Radian has 18" top slots and a 65 lbs FF weight limit, and an 8 year from DOM expiration.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

lovemyfamily

I wish I'd taken pics, we went to dinner with DS2 in a RF Decathlon (after calling Britax to ask about the above-shoulder strap positioning) at 11 hours old. He was 8 lbs 1 oz, 21" at birth. He seemed comfortable in it and we were happy with the fit.

You were ready for dinner out at 11 hours after birth? Hats off to you! hehe

BeanJeepin

You were ready for dinner out at 11 hours after birth? Hats off to you! hehe

:whistle: Don't tell my midwife! I was actually ready at 5-6 hours - napped and showered. It took me a couple hours to talk the people we went out with into it. Homebirth at 8:30 AM, dinner at 7ish PM. I had to eat anyhow and I'd have probably cooked if we didn't go out (how I won my argument)! Absoloutely no one at the restaurant believed the baby was that young.

lovemyfamily

:whistle: Don't tell my midwife! I was actually ready at 5-6 hours - napped and showered. It took me a couple hours to talk the people we went out with into it. Homebirth at 8:30 AM, dinner at 7ish PM. I had to eat anyhow and I'd have probably cooked if we didn't go out (how I won my argument)! Absoloutely no one at the restaurant believed the baby was that young.

I thought I was brave for wanting to stop at BRU on our way home from the hospital when #3 arrives next spring so I could get some gender specific clothes.
That is awesome! Glad you felt so great! Congrats on the home birth too.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC