Love to hear from Odyssey owners

cso1997

I am looking for a new vehicle. I have owned and loved the same vehicle for over ten years. However, it is a five seater and after adding baby number four, I need something new. I had it narrowed down to several SUVs when the Odyssey was mentioned. Monkey wrench :(

I played with and drove an Odyssey today. It is hard to learn little nuances in a short period. So, help me out. What do you like or dislike about your Odyssey? I am looking at the Touring model. Thank you!!

ETA: I am looking at a 2013 so newest generation owners would be the most valuable I think.

Last edited:
ADS

LISmama810

Admin - CPS Technician
They were well liked pre-2011, too.

Specifically, though, I wanted the ability to take out the middle seat and move one of the captain's chairs to the center-ish position. I had two rear-facers and a booster-rider, so I needed an aisle on the side where my older kid could get to the third row without ducking under seats.

Obviously that won't matter to a lot of people, though. If my seating needs had been different, I might have gone with a post-2011.

cso1997

Oh yes, I heard about being able to slide those two seats together. That sounds like a nice feature. Wonder why they don't have it anymore.

luckyclov

I'm a little bit of a minivan floozy and have experienced 3 new generation minivans in the last 3 years (Grand Caravan, Sienna, Odyssey), so because of that, I'm hypercritical because I want all the best of each in one van.:p

So, here is what I do not like about my 2012 Odyssey, which may, or may not, be of significance to you.

It's "not tall". My oldest (10), who prefers to ride in the 3rd row, had to downgrade to a backless booster because his PWSG outgrew all the seating positions in the 3rd row.

The wind noise drives me bonkers sometimes.

Brake time could be a little better; as in, it was better in one of my previous vans, so I'm constantly comparing.

I'm 4 or so months into this vehicle and still haven't mastered the controls and stuff.

There's not a whole lot of legroom for the second row riders. The captains chairs only move front/back a teensy tiny bit.

There's no inside armests on the captains chairs.

The "exposed" hardware hook things (so technical...) and gaps in the center of the 2nd row (when the 8th seat is removed) are ugly.

I don't find the cargo space especially generous.

Really, that's about it. I don't have any mechanical or reliability complaints (yet) and it gets the job done pretty well. Despite my nitpicking, I don't see myself trading out of this one anytime soon because I DO like it. I'm just picky. ;)

SafeDad

CPSDarren - Admin
Staff member
Oh yes, I heard about being able to slide those two seats together. That sounds like a nice feature. Wonder why they don't have it anymore.

You can essentially do the same arrangement in the current version, but the drawback is that you have to stow a heavy, outboard captain's chair to do it:-(

The current Sienna has an arrangement similar to the previous Odyssey. While the previous generation 8-passenger Sienna is similar to the current Odyssey. I guess Toyota and Honda decided the other one had the better setup!

It's "not tall". My oldest (10), who prefers to ride in the 3rd row, had to downgrade to a backless booster because his PWSG outgrew all the seating positions in the 3rd row.
I know really tall drivers complain that the driver's seat could use more travel. I'm 5'7" so not tall enough to hit that problem, but I can see how the complaint is valid since the footrest sticks up.

The wind noise drives me bonkers sometimes.
Try a Ridgeline. I don't think it rises to an annoying level, altho it isn't a quiet car. It's a matter of perspective.

Brake time could be a little better; as in, it was better in one of my previous vans, so I'm constantly comparing.
Fine to me.

I'm 4 or so months into this vehicle and still haven't mastered the controls and stuff.
I have a Touring and while I wouldn't say I've mastered it, I can do all the stuff I care about doing. The only exception is that I havent' figured out how to have the rear speakers play the stuff on the DVD so I can listen to the radio up front separately. If that's even possible. I know it works when you use the headphones, but I don't wanna use the headphones.

There's not a whole lot of legroom for the second row riders. The captains chairs only move front/back a teensy tiny bit.
Are we talking about the same car? It's not a Sienna, but the 2nd row does slide a good amount. Actually, room in the 2nd and 3rd rows is a big reason why we chose it over a Sienna, altho part of the Sienna's problem is that the seats block the area where you place your feet while there are big enough open gaps under the seats of the Odyssey that your feet can slide under the seat a bit which greatly improves legroom.

There's no inside armests on the captains chairs.
Yeah, that would be helpful, but then the 8th seat would be a useless thing like the Sienna's. Compromise I'm ok with.

The "exposed" hardware hook things (so technical...) and gaps in the center of the 2nd row (when the 8th seat is removed) are ugly.
True, but nothing compared to the cheerio magnet that are the Sienna's 2nd row tracks. I trip over those damn things much more than the small exposed section on the Odyssey.

I don't find the cargo space especially generous.
Compared to the old Sienna? Otherwise, I believe the Odyssey carries the most compared to the current generation Ody, Sienna, and Grand Caravan (overall a decent big smaller than the Sienna/Ody).

Really, that's about it. I don't have any mechanical or reliability complaints (yet) and it gets the job done pretty well. Despite my nitpicking, I don't see myself trading out of this one anytime soon because I DO like it. I'm just picky. ;)

My main complaint is that the front bumper is a touch lower than I'm used to. Gotta watch out for curbs when parking.

Wish it had rear LED taillights, but that gets addressed with the 2014 model.

On the Touring, the blindside monitor alert light is inside the car. Easy to miss when you're looking in the side mirrors. It should be mounted in the side mirrors like other manufacturers do.

With the Touring Elite, at least on the 2012 and 2011 models, the automatic headlights has the same behavior pattern as the non-HID models. Every time you open the driver's door, it turns on the headlights. This can cause you to turn the HID headlights on and off a lot as you're herding the kiddos. Turning HID headlights on and off a lot is BAD for HID headlights. You want to keep them on at least a minute before turning them off again. So, for the Touring Elite, this effectively means I lose the autoheadlight feature cuz I keep it on manual to prevent my very expensive HID headlights from burning out prematurely. On my Lexus (don't remember a problem with my old BMW either), there's a proper delay so that I never knew it was an issue with HID cars until I got the Honda. Big oversight on the part of Honda. Normally, I'd expect them to catch a little detail like that.

momtoeliza

I have a 2013 Odyssey and I LOVE it. At first I was bummed about the middle row seat changes because we had pushed the two captains chairs together in our previous Odyssey. I got over it, though, and now prefer the new configuration. You can actually bump each captains chair out a few inches and have space in the middle row for three full sized carseats. My girls are in a RF Blvd (behind the driver) and a FR85 which is installed in the middle seat. We often carpool, etc., and I have installed a MA both FF and RF in the other captain's chair with no issues whatsoever. I also love that it leaves a full captain's chair for another adult passenger (rather than making Grandma squeeze in between the car seats!). The only problem is that with the FR85 in the middle it makes it tougher to access the back row because her seat is too wide to allow the other captain's chair to tip forward. We just load and unload kids through the back hatch - I leave the 1/3 seat down and it's pretty easy. We are talking about having a 3rd child and if we do it will be super easy to keep them all in the middle row if that's what we choose to do.

attachedmama

I have a 2008 Touring- I know you're looking at newer, and I love it.
I'm pretty sure you can only listen to something different on the front speakers when using the headphones in the back. But I'm not totally certain- I've had the van for 2 years and never figured it out.

I love the ride, back up camera, the awesome mirror on the sunglasses holder- gives you an all the way across view of rear passengers.

I don't love the Nav system, that if you don't have the plus 1 installed (I don't- I've done the slide the chair over trick) there aren't any good cup holders for passengers in the 2nd row (which is crazy- the van has like 20!!), and I wish the plus 1 was wider like in the new model. Oh, I'd also love the built in vac and cooler.

Otherwise it's awesome! I drove a Pilot EXL before the Ody and much prefer the van.

lilpenguin

We just got a 2013 Touring Elite at the end of March. DH drives it mostly so I haven't played with many features. As pp said, it is nice that you can scoot out the captains chairs a bit and easily do 3 across. We have 2 marathon classics on the passenger and middle seats and still have a full seat behind the driver for another rider. Since we only have 2 kids, the 3rd row is stowed so there is tons of cargo space. If we needed another seat, I'd just pull up part of the 3rd row and access from the trunk, especially for a child.

This thing has so many bells and whistles its crazy. I've been trying for weeks now to get through the owners manual to figure things out. I love the USB hook up for playing MP3s for the kids. We have the entertainment system but haven't used it yet (will bust it out on our next road trip).

luckyclov

Compared to the old Sienna? Otherwise, I believe the Odyssey carries the most compared to the current generation Ody, Sienna, and Grand Caravan (overall a decent big smaller than the Sienna/Ody).
On "paper", the 2011+ Sienna is actually a penny or two more in cargo capacity (all seats up) than the Ody. I don't know if it's the floorplan/layout of nooks and crannies or what, but the Sienna definitely loaded easier and held more. Like, no comparison. We took my '11 Sienna for a week long 2,000 round trip road trip (which included a stroller, pack n play, portable soccer goal, sport umbrella AND luggage for a family of 5) and the top layer rested below the 3rd row seatback. We recently took my '12 Ody for a weekend trip (Friday night to Sunday morning) and I was hurting for space back there. It was awful. We're actually renting a Sienna for our upcoming summer roadtrip.

ETA: If it matters, max cargo capacity (all seats in place) - Sienna: 39.1 cu sq ft, Ody: 38.4 cu sq ft, Grand Caravan: 33 cu sq ft.

On "paper", the 2011+ Sienna is actually a penny or two more in cargo capacity (all seats up) than the Ody. I don't know if it's the floorplan/layout of nooks and crannies or what, but the Sienna definitely loaded easier and held more. Like, no comparison. We took my '11 Sienna for a week long 2,000 round trip road trip (which included a stroller, pack n play, portable soccer goal, sport umbrella AND luggage for a family of 5) and the top layer rested below the 3rd row seatback. We recently took my '12 Ody for a weekend trip (Friday night to Sunday morning) and I was hurting for space back there. It was awful. We're actually renting a Sienna for our upcoming summer roadtrip.

Interesting. I believe you. It's just that we had the complete opposite experience. It's because we rented a 2011+ Sienna for a road trip that we went with the Odyssey. I have two brother in laws who are Toyota mechanics. Their dealers happen to also rent cars. We rented Siennas rather than put wear and tear on our own cars. It was because of that trip where I noticed things that really bugged about the Sienna, like feeling cramped in the legs roomwise in both the 2nd and 3rd row seats, always tripping over those damn 2nd row tracks, the a/c not being cold enough in the back for a LA summer, and how cheap everything feels inside. Plus, my anal DW was annoyed how the hinges for the 3rd row extend all the way down the well so it's easy to scratch up that plastic when you put stuff in the trunk area. Oh, and we lost cheerios and small toys into the a/c vents under the front seats. On the Odyssey, they designed it so that's not a problem. It was bad enough that even the Toyota workers thought we were better off with an Odyssey, and one of them was PISSED I had earlier bought a Ridgeline over a Tacoma/Tundra.

Maybe OP should try and rent one first to see how she likes it. I dunno if Honda dealers rent, but apparently a good number of Toyota dealers do. I mean, my gripes were just my subjective experiences. Maybe the stuff I load or how our bodies are shaped make one van better than the other. I dunno.

cso1997

Maybe OP should try and rent one first to see how she likes it. I dunno if Honda dealers rent, but apparently a good number of Toyota dealers do. I mean, my gripes were just my subjective experiences. Maybe the stuff I load or how our bodies are shaped make one van better than the other. I dunno.

We already bought the Odyssey and picked it up yesterday. I can get used to pretty much anything. I am coming from a very small ten year old vehicle so I will probably be happy with everything.

I certainly have some tweaks to make though. I can't stand doors that lock automatically. I guess I don't like my car to control me. Hopefully I can find a minute to go out and follow the steps to fix that.

I can't get the CCO installed either because the seats are so slippery.

Other than that, I like it so far.

luckyclov

Oh, I forgot about that annoyance. I don't mind doors that lock automatically, but I hate that when I want to open the sliders after stopping and putting it in park, I have to push the door unlock button before the open-slider button will work. In my other vans, both had automatic locks, but when I stopped, I could just push the buttons to open the sliders and they would work. I know it's a safety feature, but it makes me drop a cuss word every now and then.

As far as cargo, the Ody is sufficient for everyday use, even for me, and I haul a lot. Definitely holds more than our little Fiat commuter car! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Car-Seat.Org

MommyShannon

Oh, I forgot about that annoyance. I don't mind doors that lock automatically, but I hate that when I want to open the sliders after stopping and putting it in park, I have to push the door unlock button before the open-slider button will work. In my other vans, both had automatic locks, but when I stopped, I could just push the buttons to open the sliders and they would work. I know it's a safety feature, but it makes me drop a cuss word every now and then.

As far as cargo, the Ody is sufficient for everyday use, even for me, and I haul a lot. Definitely holds more than our little Fiat commuter car! ;)

I'm ok with the auto lock, but I always felt it was a speed test at the school pick up line; pull up, put in park while hitting unlock and then door slider button before somebody grabbed the handle trying to open it for me which makes it stop opening and start beeping. I felt really guilty the few times DH took DD or picked her up since it almost gets chaotic trying to align all the stars to get her in/out.

What model do you have? On the Touring, you can control when it locks and unlocks.

Car-Seat.Org Facebook Group

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jillianrose109

You must read your carseat and vehicle owner’s manual and understand any relevant state laws. These are the rules you must follow to restrain your children safely. All opinions at Car-Seat.Org are those of the individual author for informational purposes only, and do not necessarily reflect any policy or position of Carseat Media LLC. Car-Seat.Org makes no representations as to accuracy, completeness, currentness, suitability, or validity of any information on this site and will not be liable for any errors, omissions, or delays in this information or any losses, injuries, or damages arising from its display or use. All information is provided on an as-is basis. If you are unsure about information provided to you, please visit a local certified technician. Before posting or using our website you must read and agree to our TERMS.

Graco is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Britax is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org! Nuna Baby is a Proud Sponsor of Car-Seat.Org!

Please  Support Car-Seat.Org  with your purchases of infant, convertible, combination and boosters seats from our premier sponsors above.
Shop travel systems, strollers and baby gear from Britax, Chicco, Clek, Combi, Evenflo, First Years, Graco, Maxi-Cosi, Nuna, Safety 1st, Diono & more! ©2001-2022 Carseat Media LLC